Are there any small motor guru’s out there

Started by hotrodsnguns, May 03, 2004, 11:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrodsnguns

I have a 6.5hp Tecumseh OHV lawn mower.  It ran fine on Sat when I mowed the front lawn.  On Sunday when I started the back (too much yard work in one day keeps me away from my projects) I used the primer pump like always it fired ran for a few seconds and quit.  I tried again same thing ran until the primer gas ran out.  It has a feul bowl on the bottom of the carb with the main jet holding the bowl on.  I cleaned  the jet and bowl as a dirty jet has been the cause before.  Same result.  I removed the carb and cleaned it seems to have all passages working fine,  Drained the gas tank cleaned it, reassembled the mower same result.  Any help or comments world be appreciated.

SKR8PN

Is this one of the newer style carbs that are NOT adjustable? If it is,I have gone thru the same thing as you in the past. After taking it apart and cleaning it 3 or 4 times,with the same results as you,I surrendered and just bought a new carb......and them suckers are NOT cheap :-o
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

hotrodsnguns

Yes it is one of the new ones.  Bummer wanted a cheap solution would rather buy a holley carb for teh vette

Broman

tomslik

Quote from: "Broman"suggestion:

check ebay

another sug.
fill fuel tank.
seriously.
even if it looks like there's enough gas in it
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

Well, Enjenjo is an motor guru of the highest degree, but he is far from small  :lol:

hotrodsnguns

Quote from: "Broman"suggestion:

check ebay

Thanks but for the holley or lawn mower carb

purplepickup

Here's a bunch of tecumseh carbs on ebay.

Of course you could put a holley on it with a tin can, some duct tape & RTV. :wink:
George

Bruce Dorsi

I've had a lot of experience with Tecumseh carburetors, but only on older models.

Most of the Tecumseh carbs had the fuel passage drilled with the brass jet in place.  .....Once the jet was removed and re-installed, the passages were no longer aligned, and the fuel would not flow.

The factory replacement jet had a groove machined around the jet in alignment with the fuel passage.  ....This allowed fuel to get to the hole in the jet, even though the holes were not in alignment.

I apologize if my description is not clear.  ....I don't know how to adequately describe it.

I don't know if Tecumseh used the same manufacturing procedures on later models.  ....If so, your problem may be fixed by buying a replacement jet from a Tecumseh dealer.   (The dealer should be able to tell you if the original jet can be re-installed, or if it must be replaced.)

If you look closely at your jet, and a hole is drilled through the threaded portion, more than likely this is the problem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Broman

I suggest this because my brother buys and sells on ebay like crazy and every time - EVERY TIME - I have a need for something, even if it's wierd or expensive, he can find it on ebay for me, and usually at a good savings.

I've had good luck there., that's all...

hotrodsnguns

Quote from: "Broman"I suggest this because my brother buys and sells on ebay like crazy and every time - EVERY TIME - I have a need for something, even if it's wierd or expensive, he can find it on ebay for me, and usually at a good savings.

I've had good luck there., that's all...

Thanks I really appreciate the help.  My comment about the Holley was my sad attempt at humor.  I needed a break from a mind blowing situation.  I have never had trouble getting any small motor to run and this one is fairly new and giving me fits.  The warranty has been up for 3 months. hehe

Thanks to all the other rountablers for all their great advice.

fordiac

try taking the air filter off and seeing if it runs right.  it might just need a new one.

just about every year after the first couple mows, our riding mower needs a new air filter and outer foam covering.

when it needs this it begins to run really rich and black smoke, kinda rough runnin too.

tom

did you clean it in carb cleaner? i find they have to soak in carb cleaner, usually overnight. the passages are so tiny, it only takes a speck of dirt to block it completely.

Land Yacht

See if loosening the gascap has any effect, mayby not venting, check the float needle, seat , for dirt, wear, try rebuild kit for new parts. see that its feeding fuel to the carb from the tank

john
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter