Rear view mirror adhesive??

Started by 40, May 02, 2004, 11:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The outside rear view mirror fell off the wife's car....it is heated so fortunately,the wires kept it from hitting the ground and breaking.Just wondering what you guys would recomend to re-attach it??It appears it was previously held on with 4 dime sized spots of some type of silicone or adhesive.Thanks!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Coleman396

Go to a glass shop where they replace automotive glass. In no time they can clean it and use the right Loctite type glue to hold it on properly.

autocol

i agree, take it to the right place and get the right stuff.

when i was young my dad must've replaced the rear view mirror (with different adhesives) 15 times in a year. one day he finally cracked the sads and chucked it in the bin...  :shock:

Ed ke6bnl

I cleaned the window with solvent and the sprayed with locktite activator and used a superglue and its been on for some 6 months since getting the mirror for christmas. Now after sayiing this I watched the glass shop do the exact same thing while I was there getting some glass fuzzy and stuff. Another thing the locktite activator cost me some $12 at napa and the glass guy charge $10 to install the rearview mirror. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

It is the outside passenger side mirror....I agree,I should just take it to the glass shop....it's not the cost,it's trying to find time to get it there before they close....I am building a very complicated project and we have been working sun-up to dark.Perhaps I can get the wife to drop it by the glass shop or maybe I'll have her stop by the jobsite and use some subfloor adhesive on that sucker :wink:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

58 Yeoman

I wonder if Gorilla glue that you can get at Menard's or Home Depot would work? About $4 for a small bottle.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

jakesbackyard

I would suggest something better than silicone.

The best thing, (probably what was on it), is windshield urethane. You can usually get it at any auto parts store that handles body shop supplies. Ask for a tube (normal calking gun size tube) of "quick set" windshield urethane. It should be less than $10 a tube. Most popular around here and usually available anywhere in the USA are 3M or Essex. Clean the area of the mirror back and where it will attach with a good aerosol can of glass cleaner and put a dab on the four spots, put it together and hold in place with masking tape. Leave over night and remove tape.

You should be good to go. You may want to wear rubber gloves as it is next to impossible to get off your hands or any thing else you don't want it on.

If you have anything else to glue - use up the tube. It will not last long once it is open. But great stuff.

Good glueinggggggg......
Jake

slider

I heard tile cement works real well.