Anyone know anything about scooters!!??

Started by Topsterguy, April 06, 2007, 09:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Okay, so I bought this 67 Honda S-65 scooter - couldn't turn the deal down - but it didn't have a battery in it. SO, I bought a battery BUT don't know anything about these things including how the battery is wired in! Near as I can tell there's a small cannister that's the coil by the battery. Where does the battery hot lead go to, and the neg lead????  Thanks!  Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

If I remember correctly, the neg lead goes to ground, and the positive lead goes to a Zenner diode. I can check when I get home next week, I think I have a service manual for that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

oiler

Damned if I know Larry but do you want to sell it? :wink:
Jeff

kb426

I believe Frank is correct. Are the wires missing? It looks good in the pic.
TEAM SMART

Dave

I think franks right. there should be a square looking thing prolly orange in color and its got plates in it. look for a stud on that  to connect to if i remember right .. If not see whats hooked to it and follow it back and you may just find it.Its actually called a selenium (spelling) Rectifier. Its been a while since i played with them old hondas. if i had it here id show ya :lol: Them rectifiers were a poor designed deal and most of the time when a honda quit charging they were to blame. We used to go to the local electronic parts store and buy a hi amp bridge rectifier and wire that in..  Im assuming this isnt electric start ? Cable could go to the starter too.. I know when honda introduced them things they were the lazy mans scooters and sometime or another i thought they had electric starters on em.
Dave

Topsterguy

Heh Heh Heh, thanks as always guys!  Apparently it'll get better gas mileage than either my roadster or the coupe! :wink:  I can see the rectifier plate, it's orange, and there's this "cannister" that says "flasher" on it that's got a red wire comming out of it with a male end one it. There are only two wires exposed that have the male ends - that one and a blue one that is in the loom comming out of the body. So, it can only be these two wires, but which goes where -they're both male ends and the new battery has two female ends. The wires from the rectifier, a red one and a white one, go into the same 4-wire loom that the blue one with the male end  comes out of.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Dave

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Heh Heh Heh, thanks as always guys!  Apparently it'll get better gas mileage than either my roadster or the coupe! :wink:  I can see the rectifier plate, it's orange, and there's this "cannister" that says "flasher" on it that's got a red wire comming out of it with a male end one it. There are only two wires exposed that have the male ends - that one and a blue one that is in the loom comming out of the body. So, it can only be these two wires, but which goes where -they're both male ends and the new battery has two female ends. The wires from the rectifier, a red one and a white one, go into the same 4-wire loom that the blue one with the male end  comes out of.

Well how about taking a multi meter and checking the wires to ground?
Dave :arrow:

kb426

That version was referred to as "step through". The newer ones were called the "Passport". I believe they had electric start. They were 70 or 90 cc. If you can't have fun on one of those, you may be dead. :lol:
TEAM SMART

Jbird

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, well, except for me, I met my future ex on a Honda. I was riding an Ossa 175cc scrambler and she was on a yellow Honda trail 90. I came flying over a blind jump and almost landed on her, she was stopped in the middle of our homemade race track. I managed to miss her but crashed and broke my wrist, that should have been an omen. I found out later, she was just trying to get my attention. It worked.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance