Muncie 4 speed

Started by zzebby, March 31, 2007, 05:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Quote from: "wayne petty"this is just my fingers rambling around the keyboard..  i also have a neat way to check the brakes adjustment . when there is a hole in the backing plate.. with a flash light and a screw driver..   stick it through the slot in the backing plate..   shove the star wheel forward   then shove it backwards..  if you get more than about 1/16 of an inch.. that brake might be out of adjustment..
That's a neat trick. I wonder if I'll remember it when I quit scanning the  computor and change into garage working clothes. GPster

zzebby

Hey guys, thanks, lots of good ideas. Not brake shoe problem, it is the clutch shaking the whole car and not a little. Motor mounts are good, replaced and checked. Linkage is solid.
This past weekend I pulled it all apart and looked at all the marks and checked and measured. The input shaft is a perfect fit. Only .002 of clearance and fully into the pilot. Dead on.  I did not see much oil,  but maybe ....hard to say.  So I washed everything in simple green and then with brake clean. Sanded the flywheel with 180 and washed again. Put it all together and backed it  out.....silky smooth....no chatter at all.  Drove it to work,  8 miles and parked it. At the end of the day backed it out and sure enough it was starting to chatter just a little in reverse.  OK in first.  I think it is an oil contamination....but really.  8 miles and enough oil gets on the flywheel to make it chatter.  Not bad but it is starting.  Does this sound possible ?  I'm thinking that spin on oil filter adapter is causing it.  Yes I did have a poor adapter at first and it did puke big time. Switched to another one with a Ford filter and all is dry.  Yes it does have way too much oil pressure,  80 lbs on the highway and 60 at idle.
Also I think I need one of those shields for the lower part of the bell that keeps the oil mist off the flywheel.  Still don't get it,  the engine doesn't leak much.

Bruce Dorsi

A friend went through the same clutch chatter last year.

He completely re-did a 1965 442 and the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, fork, linkage, etc was all new.

Clutch chatter in reverse, sometimes violent, other times not as bad.

He pulled everything apart and checked all that was mentioned in this thread, and several other things.  ....No tell-tale signs of a problem.  ....Put it all back together and same clutch chatter.

In disgust and desperation, he pulled it apart and removed the fairly-new Hays clutch disc and replaced it with a different brand.  ....No more chatter.

We still don't know what made the Hays clutch chatter, but not the replacement.  ....Possibly different friction material?

He also had a minor driveline vibration at certain speeds.  ....He adjusted the pinion angle slightly, and that cured his vibration.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

bowtietillidie

I believe Bruce  Dorsi  had came close to your problem . I tried to explain this problem in an earlier post.  I am not good at communicataion using a typing keyboard  Enjenio and Wayne Petty are very good at putting thoughts into words using a keyboard they may be able to make this more clear for you     Here are my thoughts on your clutch problem .    You have a clutch MARCEL problem  
the MARCEL is what makes your clutch engage somthly { NO CHATTER}  

This can only be checked out of the car .  I take the clutch disk and an old Trans in put shaft     Clamp the input shaft in a vise then I slide the clutch disk on to the trans input shaft  then try to rotate it is a CC and CCW direction .  If I feel any movement at all I change out the disk  This problem seems to show it's ugly head around engines that produce lots of torque.  
I first learned about clutch MARCEL from Drag racing 409's and trying to ease into the stage lights .  it has become standard procedure around my shop to check clutch MARCEL on every clutch job   PS: try goggling clutch MARCEL  The clutch disk is more complatcated then you might think
BOWTIETILLIDIE

enjenjo

Bowtietillidie may be on to something. I had a Rambler one time that would do this.

There are two things they do to clutch discs to make them engage smoothly. One is Marcel, which is a Marcel spring installed between the friction faces of the clutch disc, which soften the shock of engagement by cushioning the apply when letting out the clutch. The other is  a set of springs in the hub, that under pressure allow the disc to move radially slightly, but don't come into play under normal circumatances.

On my Rambler, for some reason, in a few hundred miles the radial springs in the hub would get loose, allowing the clutch to chatter, and for the disc itself to get off center, even though the hub was centered, causing a vibration that would come and go. On my car stabbing the clutch while going down the road would usually center the disc, stopping the vibration, but not always.

I cured the vubration with a solid hub racing clutch disc, but it would still chatter from time to time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Which Rambler? The one that Shelby drove on Prom night, the one that you had when you first started driving or the one that the old timers talk about that has the keys laying on the table for anybody that needs something to drive? GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"Which Rambler? The one that Shelby drove on Prom night, the one that you had when you first started driving or the one that the old timers talk about that has the keys laying on the table for anybody that needs something to drive? GPster

None of those. It was a 70 Hornet.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

zzebby

Wow, have not heard of Marcel,  I'll google it.  Still suspicious as to why today and yesterday it is OK,  not quite silky smooth but not objectionable. All I did was wash everthing down clean.  Bottom of engine was clean and just orange paint. I did look at the clutch springs and they all appeared normal.  And this is the 9th or 10th clutch that I've put in it of various makes, always diaphram type.   The LUK in it now still had some of the silkscreen marking on it....very few miles.  Still need the stamped steel cover plate and I doubt if they are repo yet.

GPster

I do not remember the particulars but in '69 when I changed the clutch in my Nova there were two types of diaphram pressure plates. One was the regular one and there was one called " Bent Finger ". The bent finger was for High Horse-power applications because it seemed that high RPMs had enough centrifugal force to hold the pressure plate disengaged. This was part of a set and required a matching clutch disc and throw-out bearing. It was confussimg because there were sets for 10 1/2" and 11". Do yo have mis-matched sets? GPster

wayne petty

a few more thoughts... and expansion of tips on others..

the marcel is the  spring steel pads that the rivets go through to hold the clutch facings on.. they are bent...-------\______ if you look at them from the outer edge of the disc...    each clutch facing is attached to the highest side of the bent marcel..  

when you are engaging the clutch.. it acts like a cushion as the pressure place squeezes the disc into the flywheel ...   this gives you a moderated engagement..    so its not all the way on.. instantly..   friction increases as the marcel flattens out ...

this moderated engagement also relies.. on a flat surface for the clutch linings ...   if your clutch cover is slightly glazed.. or has a slight wear pattern..  or if the flywheel needs to be resurfaced..   you can have issues with chattering.. as one side tries to grip before the other side.. one side grabs.. then breaks away , then grabs again..

glazed friction surfaces can also have an effect..

oil mist can also play a roll in clutch chatter.. as it changes the friction of the disc as the pressure plate is starting to apply..  grip, slip, grip, slip

i have had people bring back cars that would chatter.. i take it out for a 5 mile test drive..   by the time i am done.. it does not chatter any more.. i give it to them.. it lasts a few days.. and they return..  what do i do to stop it from chattering.. i have never figured out how i drive it slightly differently.. or how to explain it..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the damper springs on the hub absorb the power impulses from the firing of the individual cylinders..

yes.. the cranks shaft is twisting slightly do to the power impulses.. diesels are really bad at this and require a DUAL MASS flywheel..  that has additional springs and devices to absorb the impulses... and once in a while.. actually way too often.. the dual mass flywheel will be worn to a point where the engine torque is more than the flywheel can handle so it starts to slip..   not the clutch.. the flywheel...   but this is NOT your problem.. this is just info..

on some brands of clutches..  you may notice that the spring hub springs are different sizes.. this is to absorb the different input frequency better..

some springs are also designed for stock horsepower motors.. when this gets exceeded.. the springs get mashes and loose tension.   remember.. we are dealing with profit statements when it comes to buying components..  so save a few bucks on lessor quality steel springs.. only a few will notice...

the hub springs can also be selected for increased horsepower engines..

this is just some of the theory i have picked up along the way...

out here in the los angeles area.. there is a clutch company called A.I.T.A clutch..  i have sent a few people to them for special discs and covers when stock versions just would NOT cut it..    i used to deal with a small parts store who actually had a clutch rebuilding shop in it..  i learned a great deal from him..

i  do know that with a solid hub.. that the transmission gears take a much bigger hit when street driven..

i have never seen anything in writing.. on hub spring tension.. but i would expect that more tension would be needed with increased horsepower and increased compression ratio...

they do use 6 springs in some discs...

even inside torque converters.. some of the torque converter clutch hubs have springs to stop from shattering the sun gears as the engine goes through its harmonic /torsional motions..

that does also before i end this session.. and its a way off thought..  how big a harmonic damper do you have on the front of the motor??? 6, 7, 8"??   probably has NO EFFECT on chatter issues on engagement..  

wait.. engagement.. oh i guess that is the proper word as we are almost all married to our cars..    :D

i guess i will chatter at you later.. :lol:  :lol: