Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach Fla.

Started by Carnut, March 29, 2007, 09:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Oboy, Barret-Jackson Palm Beach Fla. just starting on Speed.

chpd46

:?  BJ blows chunks   :shock:    :x  The damage they have caused will never be repaired short of a national depression,Way beyond a natural progression of the sport,They kicked it into overdrive. Now every hayseed  w a POS behind a barn and cable thinks its worth gold and your average working stiff can forget about buying a reasonably priced ride in many area's. Even junk yard cars are steadily rising in price, you can see it shortly after their auctions air.Some dealers actually raise their prices for a short time after the auctions. Then when they do not sell they gradually begin to lower them. One other thing as well, they act like a bunch of Gangsters IF and when there is any criticism on web sites. I know of at least one that was threatened w lawsuits if the offending posts were not deleted (Moparstyle), They want nothing to threaten that money pit they have going. Charity indeed!  Just enough to make them look good. A fraction of what is brought in.  This is just JMO and RRT is not liable or responsible for it.
"Then it was Barrett Jackson that sent their "mouth piece" onto the forums to threaten legal action if a post that discussed them unfavorably wasn't removed from the DSAC forum -- "
http://www.mopowerstyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77452

Carnut

Ah, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Show starts today at 4:00pm E. on Speed, I'll be watching and enjoying.

chpd46

Very true. Can you tell I have a fairly strong dislike for them? I do watch it. Just too see what people with too much money will spend on that stuff and for a laugh. NO doubt some of it is worth the selling price, but most I think is over priced and an ego trip for the buyers, no way that are going to MAKE money at those prices at least I hope not.
But what John Q public does not know is that outside of the main tent 100's of reasonbly priced cars are selling at decent prices. I have to admit in their favor that for the last auction, they DID show the outside auctions , I know a number of guys who have been there , its about even- one group says they have never been treated so rudely, the other group (big money, big tent) seller's and buyers say that they are catered too.  Hmm?? wonder why??? oh well, I  have mine. I'll let somebody else pay the dumb money.
Watch it ,But with a grain of salt and common sense.

Deuce

:D

Actually, the only vehicles I see bringing stupid $$$ is the muscle cars and clones of muscle cars. Every pre 49 street rod I have seen that crossed the block, sold for way less than the cost of the parts to build it. Everyone I have seen ... could not be built for the selling price.

35 to 45 grand is not cheap money ( I am a old retired type   :lol:  ) but 35 to 45 grand is not the boatload of cash it was say 10 years ago.

Rodding at today's level is not cheap ... like it once was.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

chpd46

I watched off n on , I have to agree the rods were going reasonably for todays prices , given that they were quality shop jobs and not home builts for the most part , Still around here anyway ,you would play heck getting over 30g's even for a quality 29 or 32 roadster. These old MN swede's ,'wegians and krauts just won't pay it.( I am a mix of ea. :lol:) , so I guess in a world of rodding scheme of things there are some very real bargains here. I am going to have to raise my price when I sell my ride. If and when that time comes, seems everyone else jumping on that bandwagon. MAN! Don't we all know how little that hard earned retirment fund is worth now. :roll:

Dave

I watched it on and off. I see now problem with a surplus of money for people buying..
Dave

Deuce

Quote from: "chpd46"If and when that time comes, seems everyone else jumping on that bandwagon. MAN! Don't we all know how little that hard earned retirment fund is worth now. :roll:

My 401K is my cars ...   :D ( see my avatar )
People haave been saying for years that the prices of old Fords and such would crest and level out. Has not happened yet. I watched the same thing with Harley Davidsons. Up, up, and up some more ... but Harleys have finally crested. 5 or 6 years ago, there was a waiting list to buy a new Harley. Now ... every dealer has a bunch of new ones on the dealer floor and advertises low financing, reduced prices and no money down.

I wonder if all the " johnny come lately " rodders will tire of rod runs, over inflated prices and the general scene ... and move on to another ' HOBBY ' ???

Crosley.In.AZ

Most of the hype this year on Mopar discussions on the internet  started with one guy at the B/J auction this year.

He is a judge back east somewhere with a car that he felt was not on the block long enough per the written  contract with B/J.  

OF course now B/J has started legal action against the judge.  This should be an interesting lawsuit IF it goes to court.

After the car ran over the block and sold at what the car owner felt was  a low dollar amount..... the owner chained the car to a large tent post.

The mentioned complaints on dealers & junk yard guys raising prices during auction time has happened for decades.

The muscle car market went nuts in the mid -late 1980's and crashed when so many bogus cars were built.  Plenty of ignorant investors bought bogus cars at high dollar amounts.

Oddly enough these bogus muscle cars are now labeled "Clones" in todays market and sell for silly money too. Lets blame B/J for that too

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Grandadeo

I remember when we were out in Reno for our 25th anniversary almost 14 years ago.  It was the weekend before the start of Hot August Nights week.  Everything that even kinda looked like an old car was a "Hot August Nights Special."  I don't know if the dealers were trying to get the locals to buy them or the people coming into town to take them home.  Some of the "Classics" were really comical.  But I won't say what they were cause someone on here is bound to have one, like me.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Deuce"
I watched the same thing with Harley Davidsons. Up, up, and up some more ... but Harleys have finally crested. 5 or 6 years ago, there was a waiting list to buy a new Harley. Now ... every dealer has a bunch of new ones on the dealer floor and advertises low financing, reduced prices and no money down.
I wonder if all the " johnny come lately " rodders will tire of rod runs, over inflated prices and the general scene ... and move on to another ' HOBBY ' ???

They've spent all their money on the HD clothes, and have nothing left for the bikes. :lol:  :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
I watched the same thing with Harley Davidsons. Up, up, and up some more ... but Harleys have finally crested. 5 or 6 years ago, there was a waiting list to buy a new Harley. Now ... every dealer has a bunch of new ones on the dealer floor and advertises low financing, reduced prices and no money down.

They've spent all their money on the HD clothes, and have nothing left for the bikes. :lol:  :lol:

AND ....... all of the genuine HD "made in America "  chrome & accessories.  Oh wait a sec

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Deuce

I bought my first Harley in 1964 ( But this is my latest ) ... so I am not a " johnny came lately " to the bike deal. I have owned Hondas, and other brands. The Harley situation  amazes me ...

My friend owns a Harley dealership. He told me he made more money selling the T-shirts, collectibles and add on pieces than he did selling Harley motorcycles ... and he sold over 250 NEW HD's last year.

The animosity that the owners of other brands of motorcyles has also amazes me. Some years ago, before all of the major Japanese bike makers came out with their " Metric cruisers " ... all the Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki owners/riders really bad mouthed Harley Styling  ... but now that the Japs have look alikes ... guess what they are riding.

DISCLAIMER ...
I had a Honda Gold Wing ... ( a older one ) and they are good bikes ... just not what I currently want. If I wanted to ride 300 or more miles in one single day ... a Honda Gold Wing would be in my garage.

To get back on topic ...
The prices at B-J leaves me wondering ... WHERE do these guys get their money $$$

Bib_Overalls

Not so long ago you could invest your money prudently in the stock market, bonds, or CDs and get a two digit annual return.  More if you were willing to take some risk.  Nothing like that today.  So the risk money and even some of the prudent money is looking for returns that the traditional investments can not provide.  Couple that with a maturing group of successful people who grew up in the muscle car era and you have a demand for "alternative" investments in collectable cars.  Right now there seems to be more money than cars. The "bubble" will pop when the return on traditional investments goes up and/or the muscle car generation moves on.  I'm not predicting a crash.  But some loss of value will inevidably occur.  Down the road, I don't see the ricer generation moving into classic muscle cars in the numbers or with the wealth needed to sustain the current valuations.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Dave

I bought my first Harley in 1964 ( But this is my latest ) ... so I am not a " johnny came lately " to the bike deal. I have owned Hondas, and other brands. The Harley situation  amazes me ...

My friend owns a Harley dealership. He told me he made more money selling the T-shirts, collectibles and add on pieces than he did selling Harley motorcycles ... and he sold over 250 NEW HD's last year.

The animosity that the owners of other brands of motorcyles has also amazes me. Some years ago, before all of the major Japanese bike makers came out with their " Metric cruisers " ... all the Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki owners/riders really bad mouthed Harley Styling  ... but now that the Japs have look alikes ... guess what they are riding.

DISCLAIMER ...
I had a Honda Gold Wing ... ( a older one ) and they are good bikes ... just not what I currently want. If I wanted to ride 300 or more miles in one single day ... a Honda Gold Wing would be in my garage.

To get back on topic ...
The prices at B-J leaves me wondering ... WHERE do these guys get their money $$$

Good lookin scooter. I got a 06 glide classic last year 1 month fore the big heart attack. Yup no waiting. I just walked in and told em i wanted the burgandy one and id be back in 2 days to pick it up and i needed 3 things from them. Total price out the door vin numbers for insurance and how much to hold it. Then they asked how much i was gonna finance :lol:  :lol: . I like you , have ridden about everything. My last big bike was a kawasaki voyager VII full dress. I gatta tell ya we rode that thing all over but i really think that crusing down the interstate my glide is just as smooth if not smoother. It really rides nice and it sounds like a harley.. Ill have to get a pic of it. I always wanted one but i had to decide between a nice car and a cheaper bike or maybe a not so nice car and a harley. I finially got both. Now after buying the roadster projrct and getting the harley out early this year i wish id just not bought the roadster. Its gonna be hard to devide up my time between driving the coupe ridin the bike and working on the roadster. I sure hope the market is up when i get it finished...
Dave 8)  :arrow:  8)