Tuna Boat - SHE DONE BLOWED UP -Rear End Problem - Thoughts?

Started by msuguydon, March 29, 2007, 04:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Quote from: "Leon"Isn't that how you remove an axle on those rears?  You unbolt the 4 bolts, and slide the axle out.....
How else would you remove it? :?
Those rear ends are terribly hard to get the axels out of. There was a tool that used to be used that expanded between the back of the axel flange and the backing plate to force them out or you end up borrowing a slide hammer that fastens to the wheel lugs and pull them out that way. I did not want to give him all of this right away. I just keep him working in manageable steps. If the axels pull out freely it probably means that the bearing has separated. Then he'd have to pull the other axel too and the pumpkin and remove the disbree (sp?) and hope. He'd also have to figure out a way to get the bearing race out of the housing if he's lucky. If he's not lucky the bearing might have welded itself together and turned in the axel housing. That would have screwed up the housing and '58 is a one-year-only housing because of the suspension I think. As far as pulling axels, Chevrolet axels except '55 to '64 are usually pulled by taking the inspection cover off the center section and going into the ring gear carrier and pulling the "C" clips. If his job comes to this I hope we can get    Purple Pickup to respond. I think he has one of these rear ends in his truck. I'm sure he has developed some secretes to pulling axels because he carries a rear gear change with him in case a drag strip looms up. I hope MSU's party goes well because he'll come back to this explanation.

Leon

I was questioning it because I've pulled the early Chevy axles without a slide hammer and the bearing was good.  I have put the drum on backwards and with a couple taps it slides right out.  It sounded like you were telling him if he was able to get the axle out without problems that he had major damage.  

Some advise to msuguydon:  go to a local car show and see if anyone local has experience with rears and you'll probably find someone that can come over and help.  There's nothing like having someone there to help in person.  They're not that hard to work on.

GPster

Quote from: "Leon"I was questioning it because I've pulled the early Chevy axles without a slide hammer and the bearing was good.  I have put the drum on backwards and with a couple taps it slides right out.  It sounded like you were telling him if he was able to get the axle out without problems that he had major damage.
Might be the difference in beaarings that dave was talking about. The last one I did was a '59 and it was a coil spring rear end also. I talk too much and the more I say the dumber I get. GPster

Jokester

Before I bought my slide hammer I removed the axels by bolting a chain to one of the lug studs, then through a spare wheel and tire, and bolt the other end of the chain to another lug stud.  Use the wheel as the slide hammer by rolling it away from the car briskly and repeatedly until the axel pops out.  When it does, jump back before it hits you in the shin.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Leon"I was questioning it because I've pulled the early Chevy axles without a slide hammer and the bearing was good.  I have put the drum on backwards and with a couple taps it slides right out.  It sounded like you were telling him if he was able to get the axle out without problems that he had major damage.
Might be the difference in beaarings that dave was talking about. The last one I did was a '59 and it was a coil spring rear end also. I talk too much and the more I say the dumber I get. GPster

Joe from what i get in the manual(Im gonna try and scan a pic from it) Don's rearend is the same as a ford. It has a bearing retainer on the end of the axle and the center is removable just like the 8 and 9 inch. If thats the case then its hopefully a matter of pulliung the axle out and making the repair. Im not sure it the seal is like a ford or they just used a sealed bearing.. Im looking into it.
Dave

GPster

Quote from: "Jokester"Before I bought my slide hammer I removed the axels by bolting a chain to one of the lug studs, then through a spare wheel and tire, and bolt the other end of the chain to another lug stud.  Use the wheel as the slide hammer by rolling it away from the car briskly and repeatedly until the axel pops out.  When it does, jump back before it hits you in the shin .bjb
It may not be in your best interest to admitt that you've had problems with them also. I suppose I should wait until someone has problems before I try to help fix them. GPster

slocrow

Quote from: "Jokester"Before I bought my slide hammer I removed the axels by bolting a chain to one of the lug studs, then through a spare wheel and tire, and bolt the other end of the chain to another lug stud.  Use the wheel as the slide hammer by rolling it away from the car briskly and repeatedly until the axel pops out.  When it does, jump back before it hits you in the shin.

.bjb

That's the way we use to get it done except for the spare tire idea. I would just attach the chain and slip a tire iron in the loop. With a mighty yank on the iron, it would tighten the slop in the chain and * the axle. Hopefully after a few yanks the axle would pop out.
The tough part of this operation was getting the brake drum off. You'd always have to loosen the grip of rust at the axle flange with several smacks to the face of the drum, between the lugs. The shoes would always want to cling to the drum, regardless of how much you backed them off.
There is a drum pulling tool if your parts store rents tools.

By the way, I'm also guessing wheel bearing. What else would throw oil and cause the car to shimmy down the road? I don't think wheel cylinder plus he stated he still had a good pedal.

Don, get a slide hammer, that drum puller, and assortment of hand tools and have at it. Take the brakes off the backing plate to facilitate access to those 4 fasteners holding the axle bearing retainer. It's not that bad a job just a knuckle buster.....................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

58 Yeoman

QuoteBy the way, I'm also guessing wheel bearing. What else would throw oil and cause the car to shimmy down the road? I don't think wheel cylinder plus he stated he still had a good pedal.

Loose bearing retainer bolts?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Carnut

It's an axle bearing and a very good project for a first timer.

Just remember to not touch the brakes while doing the removal and reinstallation.

Also provides a good time to checkout the brakes.

Lessee, about 44yrs ago I did my first Chevy rear axle removal, only I used a spare flywheel with chain thru it for leverage.

Yes in some cases the brake drum can be a bear to remove both at the hub and around the edge at the linings. Be sure to try and back off the brake adjustment and have the parking brake off prior to removing.

Then it's just four 9/16 nuts and a good yank, then head to the parts store for press off the old and press on the new.

Dave

as susuall not paying close attention i guess i failed to notice the shimmy part in his post. That puts it even closed to being a bearing. I just hope nothing else is messed up but from the pic i have at least the bearing dhas an inner and outer rece like the ford. When gm went to using the axle as the inner race thats when stuff got turned into junt real quick. Ford does that now on the 8.8 and i dont like it . Plus they got rid of the removable carriers . That sucks too.
Dave

brti

Maybe he hit the beach with his prop and either broke or bent one of the blades. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

brti

Lord, I appologise for that.............................
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

GPster

Quote from: "msuguydon"You guys have 7 days to figure out the problem and report back  :lol: I am counting on YOU!
Thought I'd bring it back to the front page. Everyone forgot to work on it while you were gone. Now that you're all rested up you can tear into it. Did you get your 10 year old tools for his birthday? GPster