Tuna Boat - SHE DONE BLOWED UP -Rear End Problem - Thoughts?

Started by msuguydon, March 29, 2007, 04:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

It was a nice day here today.  I wanted to get a quote on some glass work on the 58, drove the Tuna boat about 15-20 miles on the expressway to get to the glass place, no problem, nice chat with the owner... he is a big street rod guy.

Get back into the boat, start driving home.. about 10 miles into my return trip I get an odd noise, and shimmy when trying to pass a semi.. I slow down... shimmy stops... pull off to the side of the road... engine idling fine, no fluids leaking.. walk around the car, no flats, again check again.. no fluids leaking... start going again.. 2 miles down the road, same thing... slow way down, limp home.... the last 1/4 or so.. strong oil, grease smell from the car.

Get in the driveway, shut off the car.. climb under neath... I have fluid leaking from the backside of the drivers side drum.. fluid all over the rim, tire, been thrown up onto the exhaust and inside of the wheel well. :cry:

I did not have a brake issue, I have drum brakes, I still have plenty of break pedal ... did I lose a wheel bearing, seal, axle... thoughts?

Leaving for spring break tomorrow. so I am just gonna clean the boat up and deal with it when I get home.  

Dave what did you say  "I love Cars",  Well I wanted to be an old car owner... so NOW i think I was just baptized in the fluid and grease of broken parts.

I am smiling, even though I am worried about how much time and $$ its gonna cost me to fix this...
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Fat Cat

My guess would be a wheel bearing that took out the axle seal with it. Better look at the other side while you have it apart and replace it as well. You might also check the axle and see if it is bent or twisted.

sirstude

Bet more on a leaking wheel cylinder.  They will leak and still work.  Make sure you got whatever is leaking off the paint just in case.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Leon

If it is a seal, make sure the vent is open on the top of the housing.

Dave

Ya all of the above Don.. Man that sucks. I feel for you.. I got a wheel issue and a paint issue on a 40k car but ya know what  :?:  :?: Its still a lotta fun. Hey i got a motors manual that covers your car and tomorrow ill get it out and do some rescearch on your rearend (insert smart comments here) Lets see what we can find out.. Im not too familar with the 58 rears but i know the 57's had ball bearings instead of roller bearings or versy visa.. Ill do some lookin..Just because you got lube dripping dont mean anything bad happened . It could be just a seal .. And it also could be a bearing and a seal .. they sell em every day.. Hang Tough Skipper.......
Dave :wink:

msuguydon

I appreciate the support, but to be honest I am out of my league with this one.  

I think I told you guys, I jumped into this car thing with both feet, and the approval of the wife and kids, all of us knowing full well that I am a novice when it comes to repairing cars.  

I have had a tough week.

First I had a guy look at my hood, its creased, I bought the car that way.  He tells me, that I would be money ahead to buy a replacement hood then to fix the one I got... Quoted bill... $600 to $700 bucks. :(

Next I drive out to see if the window guy can help me install stainless around the windshield.  He is a very nice guy, hot rodder, showed me all around his shop.  Bottom line.. I have to removed the glass to install the trim... more than likely glass will be broken. .. $600 bucks for new glass. :(

Strike three... my rear end explodes...  :(

Strike four, when I pulled off the road, I must have driven in some kind of animal *.. what a perfect ending to a perfect day...  :cry:

I just laughed because the alternative was to cry... my 16 year old son, felt sorry for me.. so he is under the car. scrubbing and helping me clean up all the oil/fluid. whatever.. when he says,... "Dad your car smells like poo.... then I climb under with him.. your right son, I am no mechanic but I know poo when I see it and smell it... that's poo all right..

I think I am just gonna pull the boat on the trailer, drive her to the BBQ fix.. and let you boys have at her...    

BUT this is what I wanted to do... and I will figure it out.. and GIT R Done...  

Thanks for letting me vent

kb426

We all started out as unknowledgeable with enthusiasm. Most of us started out real young. We still learned the same lessons that you will. And you never finish getting more lessons. My though is that when you cease to learn new things on any subject, you're done. Then you're ready for the care home or the graveyard. I try to learn something everyday. Course, I can't remember it tomorrow. :lol:
TEAM SMART

t-vicky

Look at it this way, by this time next month you will be an expert on 58 Chevy rear ends.

msuguydon

Quote from: "t-vicky"you will be an expert on 58 Chevy rear ends.

I hope my wife doesn't find out that I now have experience with "58 rear ends"   :oops:

:wink:  :lol:

WZ JUNK

I have a thought on the window trim.  My 54 has a similar trim around the front and rear windows.  You put the trim in a slot in the window rubber and then install the glass.   I want to eliminate the stainless trim and I have a S 10 type windshield trim strip that is made of black plastic to use in place of the stainless.  It is barbed and I think I can push it into the slot in the window rubber after the glass is in the car.  You might do this to fill up the groove until you have the money to pull the glass and put in the stainless trim.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

msuguydon

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I have a thought on the window trim.  My 54 has a similar trim around the front and rear windows.  You put the trim in a slot in the window rubber and then install the glass.   I want to eliminate the stainless trim and I have a S 10 type windshield trim strip that is made of black plastic to use in place of the stainless.  It is barbed and I think I can push it into the slot in the window rubber after the glass is in the car.  You might do this to fill up the groove until you have the money to pull the glass and put in the stainless trim.

John

The glass guy suggested that I carefully trim the barb off the stainless, then lube the stainless, press it in that use a small amount of silicon chalk to hold it in place.

phat rat

Quote from: "msuguydon"
Quote from: "t-vicky"you will be an expert on 58 Chevy rear ends.

I hope my wife doesn't find out that I now have experience with "58 rear ends"   :oops:

:wink:  :lol:

Is that a  49 year old rear or 58 rears total? :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Don....You know what the say about anything with wheels....They're right :P  Keep your chin up.....this already has the makings of a good story with driving thru the excrement and everything!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

donsrods

All of us who drive old cars run into these little snags every so often.  It is just part of the game.  You have to realize that we are driving 40, 50, 60, or more year old cars, and stuff ages.  The only way to get away from it is to visit your local new car dealer, and even then they break things.

None of the things you have mentioned are life threatening, and won't take much to get them corrected.  Keep the faith.

Don

Leon

Quote from: "msuguydon"
The glass guy suggested that I carefully trim the barb off the stainless, then lube the stainless, press it in that use a small amount of silicon chalk to hold it in place.
Unless that trim is easy to get, I wouldn't trim it.  I've seen one done that way and it was always in wrong, wouldn't seat properly, etc.  It's not like you can run down to the dealer and get new stuff when you realize you shouldn't have butchered the old stuff.  If he's also telling you that the glass will crack when you take it out, I'd be looking for a different glass guy.  There is a chance that it can crack, but you could hit a deer on the way back from there, too.  Cut the old rubber out and replace it with a new piece.  If you try to save an old piece of rubber that doesn't flex the way it needs to, you may do some damage.