37-8 Chevy Headlight conversion

Started by chpd46, March 29, 2007, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Having trouble getting picture 2 on!!! :(  :(

enjenjo

so get a pair of cheap snowplow lights to use this year, and that will give you time to find a nice set of gennies.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chpd46

yep, figured I'd just get a pr of cheap speedway Deitz for this season as shown above. The halo kit I got is the same as Yogi's, How much time do you have on yours? They said when I called that the buckets could MELT from bulb heat., the Fglass buckets I received have major mold lines in them outS and InS w long dips at the area's. Literally every time I do a car and go to shows. Someone at the show comes up and offers me the parts I need when they see I need them, I am hoping this will happen w the lights if I use obviously wrong lights , I KNOW they are out there, but I think at least  70% of car guys are STILL not on the net or try to sell their stuff actively  :D

junkyardjeff

I am going to check out the halo conversion from vintiques as I like the look of the original lenses but even with 12 volt bulbs they are not enough on low beam,I have found with on high beam it does not blind on comming vehicles so they got to go if I am going to drive at night.   Jeff

Rob

Quote from: "chpd46"yep, figured I'd just get a pr of cheap speedway Deitz for this season as shown above. The halo kit I got is the same as Yogi's, How much time do you have on yours? They said when I called that the buckets could MELT from bulb heat., the Fglass buckets I received have major mold lines in them outS and InS w long dips at the area's. Literally every time I do a car and go to shows. Someone at the show comes up and offers me the parts I need when they see I need them, I am hoping this will happen w the lights if I use obviously wrong lights , I KNOW they are out there, but I think at least  70% of car guys are STILL not on the net or try to sell their stuff actively  :D

I have 2 years, 5 K miles (don't know how much of that is nighttime with lights, but I have done some reasonable trips 1-2 hours @ night) and now problems.  I was concerned about the heat issue, but I used to check the buckets after a long trip and they did not seem warm at all.  My buckets had some minor mold lines, but nothing that wasn't eaily dealt with.  The only problem I had was to level the flange that the reflector rested on, and if memory serves, I had to extent one side to aloow the reflector to center.  From what I've heard, that is typical for all 'glass.  I'll try and post the second picture again :roll:

junkyardjeff

I posted the question about halogens with the original lenses on other forums and was told they get too hot for the glass lenses,if I remember correctly I have cork gaskets on my lenses and is there a better gasket to use with the halogens.  Jeff

Rob

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I posted the question about halogens with the original lenses on other forums and was told they get too hot for the glass lenses,if I remember correctly I have cork gaskets on my lenses and is there a better gasket to use with the halogens.  Jeff

I had heard that the halogens are too hot for plastic lenses.  I use glass lenses with the cork gaskets, no problems

chpd46

How many of you guys are running F'glas buckets? when i talked to Chevs Of The 40's,they were under the impression that 37's were like 38-9 w a sub body , and the kits would not work W/O it , 37 had none , so how do you attach the the reflector and cork seals? must be something other than a pressure fit w the bezel tightened? screws? One other thing are the OS trim rings used w the chrome bezels?
JY Jeff, I answered you on the Club HR post.keep me posted,Thanks

junkyardjeff

I have the original steel buckets on my 37 p/u,I do have a extra set but they are not for sale.  I do have a couple extra reflectors and possibly some lenses if anyone needs any as my extra buckets are complete.  Jeff

Rob

Quote from: "chpd46"How many of you guys are running F'glas buckets? when i talked to Chevs Of The 40's,they were under the impression that 37's were like 38-9 w a sub body , and the kits would not work W/O it , 37 had none , so how do you attach the the reflector and cork seals? must be something other than a pressure fit w the bezel tightened? screws? One other thing are the OS trim rings used w the chrome bezels?
JY Jeff, I answered you on the Club HR post.keep me posted,Thanks

PM your email too me, and I'll send the pictures I made while making the conversion.  there IS a difference between the 37 & 38 buckets, the 38's do not have the "stand" and are flat on the side that mounts to the grill shell.  The lens & reflector is held in place with the retaining ring which makes a "compression fitting" once it's tightened down

enjenjo

I've not had any trouble with glass lenses and Halogen bulbs. I have converted several sets.

there are also rubber gaskets available shaped like the cork gaskets.

chpd46

I am satisfied that the glass lenses will work out ,But how about F'glass buckets? we have one good report, anyone else? I just ground on one bulb ring and I got it all to fit together now,I hesitate doing so to a reflector any mods and i cannot return them. The lens is a bit loose in the bezel but that is w/o a cork gasket. I am thinking that maybe a gasket UNDER the reflector as well may be a way of reducing any housing(bucket) heat damage.
This is typical of local bucket finds -these are the GOOD three out of about 12 that I found   :oops: -first is one is a junk one assembled w the halo kit

junkyardjeff

I found the sealed beam conversion kit,its probably a universal to fit most vehicles of that era.  It screws to the bucket and has no provision for adjustment,when I was setting it up for my 37 I was going to put small springs in between the adapter and bucket to get some adjustment.  The original buckets for my 37 had been converted to sealed beams and had provisions for adjustment but I scrapped those buckets since I had 2 sets of mint buckets,they were alot better then yours and could of been fixed but I was not thinking.  What I got has a plate that screws to the bucket that has the retainer for the sealed beam and comes with two other round plates to take up the difference between the sealed beam and the bezel.  Jeff

chpd46

enjenjo

Ihave fixed buckets rusted like that. Sandblast them inside and out, tape over the holes on the outside, and smear fiberfill all over the inside, about 1/8" thick. Sand the outside to shape and paint.