37-8 Chevy Headlight conversion

Started by chpd46, March 29, 2007, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chpd46

I have a pr of repro HdLt buckets  (I must say that they are CRAP! but I'll make them work) .and I bought the halo conversion w signals from Chevs of the 40's. I also now have the lenses,repro outer chrome bezels and new seals. The thing is 37's do not have an inner sub body for adjusters, I can see how it all goes together ,
BUT how do you adjust them ? up and down I am assuming is a loosened  attaching bolt away, but center to center ?

Beck

They are adjusted just like the stock lights were. There were no adjusters on the stock reflectors either. The headlight mounts through a ball type mount, right?. It is adjustable in all directions.

chpd46

stricktly through the attaching bolt then.  The repro buckets i bought are just a blow molded poor copy (Chevs Of the Forties)  and are quite light weight in that area . but will probably be ok w all the lighter weight HdLt parts I have for it now. Great, that eases my mind a bit. I had nothing to go by as it had these ugly early 80's style things on it when I got it.

Beck

The car looks like it's pretty nice, but those headlights are not so slick.

junkyardjeff

I would like to see some pics of what you are doing as I have a 37 p/u and need better head lights,I am using the original reflectors with 12 volt bulbs and low beam is not enough.  I have inquired about halogen conversions but I was told I cant use the original glass lenses due to the heat of the halogen bulbs.  Jeff

chpd46

I have the repro buckets, which are a very POOR blow molded copy from Chev's of the Forties + the Halo kits use a plastic reflector. So I can not see where glass lenses would affect anything, they should hold up better than all that plastic I should think,That glass is heavy and thick, they assured me that the Halo kit is the way to go (but then they also said the buckets were nice) I do not have any pics right now as the car is up at a buddy's place for a repaint and the other HdLt parts (ebay-gennie lenses,Chevs Of the 40's- halo kit and asso. seals) have not arrived here yet.

oddjob

Hi what is the size of the lens on the left I have one in my hand thats 71/2 across the back let me Know you pay the shipping Russ
Dodge Ram Tuff With Ford And Chevy Stuff

chpd46

they say its 7" , but I do not know if its overall or bezel opening, I do not have it yet as its a recent Ebay buy and he is not answering my query's, I'll get back to you ASAP

chpd46

pass 7" 1937-8 pn #920544
Comm 7 9/16" 1936 -39 PN # 919787
some have the PN's cast in
some say Chevrolet and Tiltray others just Tiltray
:D

oddjob

Hi well with a better measuring device they are 79/16 and say tilt ray I have a nother one laying around hear some ware had three but the tape holding it on the fender of my truck let go and trying to catch it I smacted it across the room what a move ,lense down ops
Dodge Ram Tuff With Ford And Chevy Stuff

chpd46

Quote from: "oddjob"Hi well with a better measuring device they are 79/16 and say tilt ray I have a nother one laying around hear some ware had three but the tape holding it on the fender of my truck let go and trying to catch it I smacted it across the room what a move ,lense down ops
LMAO  :D been there, Oh boy have I ;D

chpd46

I got the Halo coversion from Chev's of the 40's,very poor , bulbs do not even fit in the reflector's, on a peice of paper right on top of the inner box -" Do Not Use With Plastic Lenses or Housings, Use at Your Own Risk" I sent it back ,back to square on , I am thinking of just doing this - cheap alternative - w painted buckets- disregard the PINK LOL

UGLY OLDS

Why not look for a complete set of stock lights....( Not repro or aftermarket) .They are out there..Look in Hemmings for an ad under "services" for a guy named "Donald Axelrod"  He specializes in NOS headlight stuff.. ..Get the reflectors replated...( nickel only..NO chrome)  install a halogen bulb conversion kit & run with those ?? I did a couple of '36 /'37  Mopars that way back in '88 or '89 & they both still work great...( The '37 burned out a bulb after 57,000 miles though..^&*(#% aftermarket stuff ) I plan on going the same route with my model A...IMHO aftermarket lights just don't look "correct" on fat fender grille shells....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chpd46

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Why not look for a complete set of stock lights....( Not repro or aftermarket) .They are out there..Look in Hemmings for an ad under "services" for a guy named "Donald Axelrod"  He specializes in NOS headlight stuff.. ..Get the reflectors replated...( nickel only..NO chrome)  install a halogen bulb conversion kit & run with those ?? I did a couple of '36 /'37  Mopars that way back in '88 or '89 & they both still work great...( The '37 burned out a bulb after 57,000 miles though..^&*(#% aftermarket stuff ) I plan on going the same route with my model A...IMHO aftermarket lights just don't look "correct" on fat fender grille shells....
Been looking for 3 weeks now , they don't exist in the rust belt (I have 4 + found all to be all shot after disassemby and cleaning) egay gets more than new F'glass repops , average "dealer" gets about $250 -$300 a set, rarely complete + w NO gaurantee if solid or not under the orig. paint/bezel/glass. I'll keep looking, but I am out of time. I need a solution NOW for this season.

Rob

Interesting;

I found the H/L buckets from Sup Glass Works not that bad, and alot cheaper than real ones too

As far as the halogen conversion, I went with Vintiques (available from Yogis and others), works great, here are a couple pictures