Silicone Brake Fluid??

Started by brti, March 25, 2007, 08:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brti

I'm going to put silicone brake fluid in my "47 jeep and my '23T. The idea is being as they aren't going to be used alot during the year the brake system will last me alot longer not having it absorb moisture while they are in storage. Does that make sense? It costs alot more but the up side will be no overhauls to the master cylinder or wheel cylinders down the road.
         Anyone else have any experience with this?
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

Rex Schimmer

Don't use it, you will have a soft pedal and it is WAY over priced. You will think that you always need to bleed the brakes. Use good grade brake fluid, keep your reservoirs full and covered and don't worry about water. The silicone is not worth the problems and cost.

Rex

Beck

Quote from: "Rex Schimmer"Don't use it, you will have a soft pedal and it is WAY over priced. You will think that you always need to bleed the brakes. Use good grade brake fluid, keep your reservoirs full and covered and don't worry about water. The silicone is not worth the problems and cost.
Rex

Is that whats wrong with my brakes??
I used silicone this time in the 32. They don't feel spongy but they need a lot of pedal pressure. I have a bad habbit of spraying the bottom side of the car with brake fluid. I did it with the silicone too, but it didn't eat the paint like the standard brake fluid did. I like that. I saved me the cost of the fluid by not having to repaint the bottom of the car.
Can I run a hydroboost brake if I don't have power steering? I didn't know if just running the brakes from the pump would deadhead it since it wouldn't have flow through the steering box.

donsrods

I'm going to be on the other side in this discussion.  Silicone is all I have ever used since it came out, and the same fluid has been in my '27 for 17 years.  No soft pedal, and I just removed the front brake setups to use on my new T project, and the wheel cylinders and all look like new.

It is going into my T, my Sons '29, and my other Sons T.  I use it for two reasons........no paint damage and it doesn't suck up moisture like regular fluid.

I also run it in my shop truck for the past 5 years.

I have heard the stories you guys mention, but my personal experience is totally the opposite.

Don

paul5456

I've used silicone fluid in my 48 for 20 years - absolutely zero problems with it.  I recommend it, especially since it stops the car and doesn't eat paint.

Carnut

Silicon Brake fluid is all I have used in all my car for at least the last 20yrs or so. No problems yet that I am aware of.

Course my 61 Chrysler currently has a rear wheel cylinder froze up on it that I am too lazy to repair, but I'm pretty sure the problem predated my putting the silicon brake fluid in it when I last replaced the master cylinder and prop valve.

No power brakes or sponginess on any of them.

Leon

I've got most of a gallon of the stuff because I had problems with it.  Couldn't get the brakes to feel right till I went back to DOT5.  Never had a problem after that.  I won't use it.

brti

YIKE!!!
           This spring I'll be doing the fifth brake/hone clean up on my '57 Willys pick up in 20 years and possibly replacing some of the parts due to the truck sitting for several months each year with the DOT3 stuff in it. Yet on the other hand my '83 Chev PU has never been touched short of lining but then it's a daily runner.
            CHRIKY, good thing I'm not thinking about putting nitrogen in my tires! :oops:
            This forum is great. thanks
More, more please,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

C9

Silicon fluid in my 32 since 93.

No problems.

Trick is to get it well bled.

The pedal is a smidgin softer with silicon, but the brakes on the roadster are pretty strong considering the weight of the car.

No booster required or wanted.

If you're running brake lines and if you splice a couple of Burndy lines together - the usual brand found in parts houses - use a steel union.
I tried brass ones and they leaked with either my double flare or the Burndy factory one.

Sta-Lube brand silicon brake fluid fwiw.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Ed ke6bnl

We had the aluminum hydraulic clutch master go out in my girls Jeep.  The trans guy told me that it was common for them to go bad.  I believed it was related to the hydrophilic nature of the brake fluid and the water was eating up the internals of the clutch master, so I put in silicone fluid that is not so water absorbing and so far after one year the unit is holding together fine. That stuff was expensive too rich for my blood or for my brake blood.  Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

donsrods

Yeah, it is somewhat pricey, but spread out over a long period of time it is pretty cheap.  Like I said, the ORIGINAL silicone fluid is in my '27 from about 17 years ago.  Never changed it or had to even top it off.  When I pulled the lines to remove the front brakes the fluid came out as clear as water.

I also ran the same fluid in my hydraulic clutch with the same great results.

I guess it is like every other product out there........some people hate it, and some love it.  Doesn't make any of us wrong, just different in our views and experiences.

Don

brti

I would imagine to change over you'd blow the system out with air then bleed it thuroughly or should it be flushed with something else?
       I can live with a slightly softer pedel if I can get away from the old weeping wheel cylender every 4 years or so.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "brti"I would imagine to change over you'd blow the system out with air then bleed it thuroughly or should it be flushed with something else?
       I can live with a slightly softer pedel if I can get away from the old weeping wheel cylender every 4 years or so.

Yeah, I'd like to know the right way to change from Silicone to regular fluid too.  Doubt if I'll do it but it'd be good to know!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Leon

A few years back I read something about changing over and it said to flush the system with something, I think alcohol, then drying it out.  I don't think the two are compatable so the system has to be clean of the old.