flathead motor mounting bracket

Started by elwood, March 25, 2007, 02:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elwood

im looking for a flathead motor mounting bracket for a truck, looks like a big ol horseshoe ,
thanks

brti

Don't want to seem stupid but do you mean the one for the generator?
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

junkyardjeff

elwood

what im looking for is the horseshoe looking front motor mount mounting bracket, it bolts to the block with 2 holes on each side inside the water pumps, and the motor mounts bolt to it.
i have a 51 8ba block. im stuffing it in my 29 2 door sdn,
thanks for your reply
elwood

Bib_Overalls

I thought Ford flathead motor mounts were tabs integral to the water pumps themselves.  

The tabs rest on top of "donut" style pads.  And, in a Model A chassis, the donuts sit on fabricated mounts welded to the frame rails jut behind the front crossmember.  

It has been almost 50 years since I built my AV8.  But as I recall, that is how I did it.  I don't recall a horseshoe style mount for a flathead.

Speedway sells several different style water pumps.  The ones you need are used to put a late flathead in a 32-48 Ford automobile chassis.

Hurst, and now Speedway, made/make a sort of horseshoe looking mount for putting Chevy motors in 32-48 Ford automobile chassis.

The Mike Bishop/Vern Tardel book "How To Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod" has a lot of relevant info.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

as I recall some of the pumps had mounts,  others did not,

the large saddle mount design was used in many vehicles
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "Crosley"as I recall some of the pumps had mounts,  others did not,

the large saddle mount design was used in many vehicles

Honest engine.  I've never seen one.

Here is the link to the Speedway water pumps in question.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5317,280_1949-53-Engine-in-1949-53-Pick-Up-or-1932-48-Car-Water-Pump.html
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

GPster

The water pumps in question are '49 to '51 Ford trucks and I think maybe the same year  Mercurys. They were on the same vehicles that used that 1/2 bellhousing that allowed you to fasten the 8BA blocks to the '32 to '48 transmissions. I thought at one time you could get those water pumps at Speedway or you might try "Joe Smith Early Ford and Hot Rod Parts Inc." in Marietta, Georgia  www.joesmithauto.com . Check with whoever you get the pumps from and find out if they are narrow or wide belt and what you need to have to match your generator. The people at Joe Smith can be VERY helpful. I once was looking for a higher volumn Melling oil pump for an early flathead. They had an insiders way to Melling that they used . One of their employees was on the pit crew of a NASCAR racer that Melling was sponsoring. They used that trick to supply me. GPster

av8

The simplest and probably the least-expensive solution is to use waterpumps from a Ford truck (1947-1953) or a Canadian Mercury truck (1948-1954).  

You could fabricate a saddle mount, like the type often referred to as a "Hurst" mount that was a popular solution for parking SBCs in early Ford chassis. The Ford's water-return spigots from the radiator will probably get in the way, however, plus there are only two unused holes on the front of the Ford block to bolt a saddle mount to.

Not only do the truck pumps have the mounting "feet" you need, the pulleys are also positioned correctly to provide belt clearance for your side-mount distributor and line up with the 8BA crankshaft pulley.

The pumps are available from Speedway and from SF Flatheads for the same dollars; coincidentally, I'm photographing the waterpumps for SF Flatheads' web site tomorrow, and they will appear within a few days. Excuse the shameless plug, but I've been working with these folks who have salvaged the French flathead hardware stash from its recent marketing mess, making it affordable and accessible.

Mike

elwood

hey mike, i am running the same set up as you pictured,
my problem is the pump ears stick out to far, i need to keep every thing in side the frame rails \,
im looking for that saddle mount, or what ever its called

av8

Quote from: "elwood"hey mike, i am running the same set up as you pictured,
my problem is the pump ears stick out to far, i need to keep every thing in side the frame rails \,
im looking for that saddle mount, or what ever its called

What frame (and width) are you running? Also, what's the application-- street, drags, lakes?

I had assumed you were talking about an early Ford chassis -- apparently not.

Mike

Crosley.In.AZ

those french flatheads seem to pop every where
Tony

av8

Quote from: "Crosley"those french flatheads seem to pop every where

Really? Who else is selling them?

Mike

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "av8"
Quote from: "Crosley"those french flatheads seem to pop every where

Really? Who else is selling them?

Mike

what I meant was :

they seem to show up often , like they are still being manufactured  or not sold.

:shock:
Tony

elwood

i am stuffing this 8ba in my 29 2 door sdn,