Pitman arm options for MoPar box

Started by DRD57, March 15, 2007, 02:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

A friend of mine is building a track roadster with cowl steering and he's using a 60's MoPar manual steering box mounted under to cowl.

Are there any other pitman arms, other than what came on MoPar cars that used this box, that fit the shaft and might work in a cowl steer configuration with little or no modification?

GPster

Maybe Enjenjo has a list of spline numbers but you'd be surprised how few there are. I put a Maveric stering box in a '48 dodge PU using the Dodge arm on the Maveric box. GPster

enjenjo

I don't have a list, but there are only about three splines for all of them. Might try an old Dodge pickup, they had side steer boxes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

SKR8PN

Quote from: "enjenjo"I don't have a list, but there are only about three splines for all of them. Might try an old Dodge pickup, they had side steer boxes.

Make that a late 70's,early 80's Dodge 4x4 that used the side steering boxes.You have to look closely at them because BOTH box's mounted in the same place and looked a lot alike. I do not know the years,or if it was 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton for certain.I know they are RARE.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

GPster

Quote from: "SKR8PN"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I don't have a list, but there are only about three splines for all of them. Might try an old Dodge pickup, they had side steer boxes.
Make that a late 70's,early 80's Dodge 4x4 that used the side steering boxes.You have to look closely at them because BOTH box's mounted in the same place and looked a lot alike. I do not know the years,or if it was 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton for certain.I know they are RARE.
You youngsters don't understand the meaning of the word OLD. The '48 I had had a side steer box. The term side steer usually means the box on one side and the steering arm going to the spindle on the opposite side. You might be confused because a drag link steering goes along the side of the frame. Or I'm wrong and just showed you how dumb I can be. Again GPster

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "SKR8PN"
You youngsters don't understand the meaning of the word OLD. The '48 I had had a side steer box. The term side steer usually means the box on one side and the steering arm going to the spindle on the opposite side. You might be confused because a drag link steering goes along the side of the frame. Again GPster

Terminology can vary from one part of the country to the other.....

.....but I've always referred the layout that has the steering box on the left side and a link going over to the right spindle as "cross-steer" .

What can become even MORE confusing is that the cross-link is often referred to as a "drag link"....at least that's the way I refer to it!

Basically, I refer to the link that leaves the steering box as a drag link - whether it goes forward to the left spindle, or across to the right spindle -  although in more modern setups some people also refer to the center link as a drag link.

It certainly CAN be confusing when one rodder from one part of the country tries to speak the language of another.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

enjenjo

Personally, when I refer to side steer, I mean the drag link is parallel with the frame. I call the other arrangement cross steer.

Many years ago in the early 20th century, the Society of Automotive Engineers, or SAE standardised as much as was feasible in part constuction. Thus you have SAE bolts, SAE specs for hoses, SAE specs for steel, ect. This made it possible for suppliers and end users to communicate to each other what was desired. One of the things standardized was shaft splines., so even though a Ford axle, and an Olds axle are manufactured by different companies, the 31 spline end is the same. This was done for many applications, so a 3/4" by 36 spline steering shaft, for example, is the same throughout the industry. The SAE also has standards for pitman shafts, not only spline numbers, but taper. So many pitman arms will interchange between manufacturers, even Imperial and Metric measurement. SAE specs are a world wide standard.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

When I wrote the last sentance of my reply, I should have woke up and deleted my post. Thank you two for correcting me so gently. I woke up feeling I'd get hit with something. That's just a nudge. GPster