Pinion parking disk brake

Started by sirstude, March 10, 2007, 09:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I was asked today if I know where to get a Pinion parking brake unit.  Used to see them advertised a lot, but I am not sure if anyone still makes them.  Thought I would pass this on to the group and see if anyone else knows.

On another thought, there was a car show in Great Falls today and Burklands streamliner was there.  I was wearing my 974 shirt, and first ran into Betty Burkland and she said great shirt as soon as she saw me.  The talked to Gene and his first comment was "nice Shirt".  Then started telling a couple of people that were there that Tom had done some aerodynamics on Hooleys car.  He then asked me what the connection to Sumner was, and I explained a bit about the RRT and other things.  They do have the transmissions back together.  He said the initial failure was two ears on the pinion yoke.  Said the driveshaft tunnel contained everything, but Tom got a pretty good hit to the leg through everything.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"I was asked today if I know where to get a Pinion parking brake unit.  Used to see them advertised a lot, but I am not sure if anyone still makes them.  Thought I would pass this on to the group and see if anyone else knows.

On another thought, there was a car show in Great Falls today and Burklands streamliner was there.  I was wearing my 974 shirt, and first ran into Betty Burkland and she said great shirt as soon as she saw me.  The talked to Gene and his first comment was "nice Shirt".  Then started telling a couple of people that were there that Tom had done some aerodynamics on Hooleys car.  He then asked me what the connection to Sumner was, and I explained a bit about the RRT and other things.  They do have the transmissions back together.  He said the initial failure was two ears on the pinion yoke.  Said the drive shaft tunnel contained everything, but Tom got a pretty good hit to the leg through everything.

Doug

Can't help you on the brake, but  I believe Hooley gave Betty, Gene and Tom a shirt a year or so ago.  Tom saw my construction pictures on my lakester a couple years ago (hard to believe I've been working on it that long) and e-mailed me with some suggestions and has been helping Hooley and I ever since with some really good ideas.  Tom did say he got a pretty good hit on the leg.  Here is a picture of that area:

There is a plate between his leg and the drive-shaft, but I don't remember it as being real thick.    

Hooley has gotten a refurbished  G-force transmission that we have setup with 3rd as a 7% overdrive.  He is also about to get a cradle that will support the front of the crank.  It is not uncommon to break the front of the crank with a high revving blower motor.  The transmission will replace the weak Muncie and the crank support will give us some insurance there.

Also the other day when installing the transmission he found out that the clutch had been slipping last year and burnt the flywheel and disc.  He got the flywheel re-surfaced and is going to a much stronger clutch.  We saw small spikes on the rpm data and thought it was from tire slip, but they might have been from the slipping disc.  Maybe both causes.

Sorry for messing up you thread Doug, so back to looking for a brake  :D .

c ya,

Sum

paul5456

Total Performance in Connecticut had the pinion mounted parking brake kits.  Don't have a number offhand.  Wallingford CT if I remember correctly.