Sound Deadening / Insulation?

Started by Scrap Fe, April 29, 2004, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrap Fe

I am close to ordering sound deadening / insulation materials for my '39 Chevy sedan but I'm not sure what to use.  What do you recommend or suggest and why? Dynamat? Insulshield? or other.  These materials are rather expensive and I want to get it right the first time.

This car will be a cross country cruiser so comfort is of most importance since the better half will be joining me and I have spoiled her with her daily drivers.  She wants is as quiet as her Olds Aurora. Ha Ha!

TIA

Charlie Chops 1940

Rick,

One of my pals used some of that new fangled stuff in his 55 and 32 fordor - lwered the noise level a bunch and made the air/heat better too. I'll give him a call later and find out which brand it was and let ya know.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "Scrap Fe"I am close to ordering sound deadening / insulation materials for my '39 Chevy sedan but I'm not sure what to use.  What do you recommend or suggest and why? Dynamat? Insulshield? or other.  These materials are rather expensive and I want to get it right the first time.

This car will be a cross country cruiser so comfort is of most importance since the better half will be joining me and I have spoiled her with her daily drivers.  She wants is as quiet as her Olds Aurora. Ha Ha!

TIA

Have not had in on long but I am using this roofing material that is for stopping ice damps I got it at home depot I asked the price and he wasn't sure then came up with $5 per roll and I bought 2 rolls about 24 in by some 30-40 feet each. I used a small piece and peeled the plastic sheet off the back and heated with a torch till it got shinny and it stuck to the doors inside like it is there forever and made a tremedous differance  I will add some heat insulation and I am sound and heat/cool ready.  I plan to use it all over the cab.  Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

btrc

I used Extreme Dynamat throughout (floor, firewall, trunk, roof) on my '37.  It's turned out to be the quietest car we have except for some exhaust noise.  I got it online from some outfit in Arizona, I paid between 1/2 and 1/3 of what I saw it advertised for elseware.  In fact I've got a bunch left if you want to buy it cheap.  About half of what it took to do my car.  PM me if you want it.

Bob
Bob

Coleman396

I used a product called "Brown Bread". It goes on like "Dynamat".
Guys sell it on Ebay. I lined the back of my cab and all the floor. I sure make the cab sound different! When you close the doors they make a thud instead of that hollow tinny sound.
If you look for a "shop roll" of the stuff it is a lot cheaper than buying the smaller pieces.
The roll I bought was 70 square feet. That sounds like a lot but the more you have the better you can insulate your ride. It also does a nice job of finishing an area such as behind the seat in a pickup. Applied neatly then painted with a coat of black "Zero Rust" the end result is really nice.
Basically you can put the stuff anywhere you want. Under the headliner and inside your doors will totally change the noise level inside.
The key is not to go cheap doing this job or you might as well not do it at all! Good luck and have fun with it!
                                                                John.

HOTRODSRJ

If your doing just sound.......I recommend dynamat!  If you want both heat and sound.....superdynamat.  

I have read just about every "tuner" and "truck" sound magazine on earth and everyone touts this as the best albeit pricey!

Going to do my new HEMI 1500 QC Dodge with it.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

phat rat

Rick, the stuff Charlie was refering to is Insulshield Technology www.insulshield.net  I used it on my cpe after having it on the road for 3 years. Originally  I used the foil and bubble stuff on the sides and roof. I put this companies underlayment just on the quarters, under the rear seat and behind the rear seat. By that time I was used to what the car sounded like at 65mph and when I put it back on the road after installing this I found myself doing 75 mph with the same sound level. Wish I'd used it to start with and used more of it. It's not cheap but it certainly works well.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Glen

Make sure you do the firewall too, it makes a big difference.

manyolkars

consider elastomeric paint. The RV guys paint it on the roof to block heat. they claim a 30 degree reduction