getting my son's stock car ready for the new season

Started by moparrodder, March 07, 2007, 02:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparrodder

Last year was our youngest son's first year in dirt track racing and did pretty good finishing second in points for the season even after getting his car totaled with two nights of racing left to go.  So here is his new car for the entry level Hornet class 4 cylindar front wheel drive class.  We still have a few little things left to do that shouldn't take much time to finish.  The main track he races lost it's promotor again who took the money and equipment and ran, so all of the racers have steped up to the plate and are forming a racing LLC and are hopefully going to get the track up and running for a full season. It's taken a lot of hard work and homework to make this work but it's looking very good. We are planning a lot of changes to make it fun like it used to be and very family friendly with a few activities for the kids during intermission.  So here's a couple of pics of his car.

the other side

his brother Chad did the paint with a tearaway effect on the front for something different, not too bad for a spur of the moment idea.  Well now maybe when it's done we can get back to my 40 again  :roll:
Bill

EMSjunkie

Looks good Bill :D

makes me wanna crawl back in one 8)

if ya need a back-up driver, just lemme know :lol:

Vance

p.s.  how wide is the seat :?:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

rooster

That looks like a lot of fun, I didnt know they had a FWD class.

moparrodder

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"

Vance

Vance, It's an 18 big boy seat, Andy may be our youngest but he isn't the smallest so I think you will fit :lol:

Bill

moparrodder

Quote from: "rooster"That looks like a lot of fun, I didnt know they had a FWD class.

Yup, it is a lot of fun and they have been running them for a couple of years in our area( eastern Nebraska and Iowa) and I've seen some on ebay from Wisconsin.  They are an entry level class to help promote younger guys and gals in dirt track racing. They are afordable without selling the farm to get involved. IMCA has now sanctioned them too for points and have a strick set of rules to keep the cost down and make it fair for everyone.  The new car we are finishing cost Andy 150 bucks plus the cage from the old car (85.00) racing seat, harness,window net that we got used last year for 110 bucks and new numbers and lettering for 45 bucks.  We will have to get a new harness this year since he was in a wreck at the end of the season last year that was a total and rules state a new harness is mandatory, as it should be.  Last year we had about 700 invested not counting his racing suit and helment.  You can get it up to 2k depending what car you use and if it's a twin cam or single cam motor and how new it is.  Andy's car is a 1987 Honda Accord 4dr 2.0 liter 5spd. We run on two tracks, Shelby County Speedway is a .4 track and he runs third gear with his foot on the floor does about 75-80. At Black Bird Bend the track is smaller and he does good when the track is done right but last year they forgot how to water it and was either a dust bowl or a mud pit, but hopefully things will be better this year.  Some tracks have as many as 30 or more cars in the class each night. It's a fun class the whole family can get involved with and you don't have to win a lot of races to be in the top end of the points at the end of the season.  

Bill

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "moparrodder"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"

Vance

Vance, It's an 18 big boy seat, Andy may be our youngest but he isn't the smallest so I think you will fit :lol:

Bill

Perfect fit, just my size :-o

still got my firesuit, helmet, gloves, shoes, enough tearoffs for at least 2 seasons :shock:
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****