Do we have any mushroom hunters on board here?????????

Started by SKR8PN, April 28, 2004, 08:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKR8PN

I just LOVE these Morel mushrooms...... This picture was taken earlier today in one of my flower beds........Sent the wife out for a couple of
T-Bones and a 12 pack.........

If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

SKR8PN

HEY!!!!!! I been promoted to "Craftsman"!!!!!  Thanks Fat Cat!!

moparrodder

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I just LOVE these Morel mushrooms...... This picture was taken earlier today in one of my flower beds........Sent the wife out for a couple of
T-Bones and a 12 pack........                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Rub it in Jim  :lol:  I love them too, just don't get much time to go hunt for em.  Seems like the decide to pop out when we are in full swing if appling fertilizer and chemicals for the farmers and it's usually dark when we quit for the day, but around here we need a little more rain to bring out the big golden ones, probably in a week we should start seeing them.  A few guys are starting to find the little grey ones now so maybe we'll get a little rain and the bigger ones will pop, and when it rains and gets muddy we can't spray so off to the timbers we will go!! :lol:    Bill

58 Yeoman

I used to go looking for spongies, but the areas where I went got so grown over, or developed, that I don't usually go anymore. It's always nice to find a couple in your own backyard. :)
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

purplepickup

I love morels!!  Going mushrooming comes before everything else every spring.  The black early ones are my favorites.  There are a few out around here right now but we haven't had hardly any rain in 3 or 4 weeks so it's too dry.    I've found a couple of grey ones  here too but it's way too early for the big golden ones.  Heck, we had snow yesterday. :?  I went to my cabin in upper Michigan last weekend for trout season opener and checked a couple of my secret spots but it's too early for morels up there.

I hate to miss the trailer build #2 but Murf and me are going to the cabin that weekend mushrooming.....probably the weekend of the Coldwater show too.  

Last year we found way more than we could eat.  I dehydrated a bunch and gave some away.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.  There's nothing like a nice thick New York strip steak cooked in the woodstove and smothered in a couple pounds of sautéed morels.  YUM!
:b-d:
George

58 Yeoman

Well, here I am watching the Peoria/Bloomington news on tv tonight, and they say that the meth cookers are moving out into the woods, using mobile cookers to cook their meth. It showed the remains of one spot with the gas can, heet cans, cold pill wrappers,etc.  They had found two spots today. A couple guys out hunting mushrooms found the places. This could be as bad as stumbling on someone's still.

Phil

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "Crosley"Mushrooms :?:  :?:

you guys need some mental help.

:lol:

LOL, I agree!!!
Jim, you must have forgotten those BULL thingies!!!!!!  :?  :wink: HA HA

SKR8PN

Oh  HONEY.......... I'll NEVER forget the "Test Fest" !!!! This year was even bigger and better than before! We got to Tiro about 2:15,found a couple of stools at the end of the bar,and parked it till they commenced the cookin'. Got our first plate full around 3:00. Beer was COLD and the nuts were HOT...
And now....IT'S MUSHROOM SEASON.............. life is good.

SKR8PN

Quote from: "purplepickup"I love morels!!  Going mushrooming comes before everything else every spring.

I don't know about "EVERYTHING".......but it sure ranks among the top 2 or 3 things! I lost my favorite spots a few years back to development, and land sales :(  :(  I have been TRYING to find another spot that produces,but so far :roll:  no luck.

purplepickup

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I lost my favorite spots a few years back to development, and land sales :(  :(  I have been TRYING to find another spot that produces,but so far :roll:  no luck.

Apparently you aren't the only one.  The woods up near my cabin are FULL of people from Ohio and Indiana mushroom hunting.  Many of them take two weeks vacation and camp out in the woods.  It makes it real hard to keep my spots secret.  If they think you are a local they follow you and watch with binoculars and if they see you picking them, they will clean your spot out before you can get to it the next time.  

Mushrooming spots are extremely top secret and NO ONE can be trusted.  I have to resort to guerilla tactics to keep my spots secret but still get in there to pick morels without anyone seeing me.  I have to....Wear full camoflage......Practice deception (park the van near a woods that sucks and walk cross country for a couple miles to the "sweet spot").......Take a 4XL shirt along to put my full mushroom bag in and throw it over my shoulder when I'm walking out of the woods so that it looks like I didn't find any.....Practice my Ohio accent so that they think I'm one of them (they don't pay any attention to "their own").....if I do run across some of "them" in one of my spots I tell them I just saw some fresh bear signs "right over there and it looked like it was a mother and her cub".   I've heard talk in the bar of locals that enter the woods under the cover of darkness using infrared goggles and GPS.   I know one guy that taught his dog to point mushrooms. :shock:

I know....I need serious help  8)
George

58 Yeoman

The big national morel hunting day is coming this weekend in Magnolia, IL, about 10 miles south of me. They take you out at about 9am and bring you back right after 12. They also auction off some of them, but I've never been there to see the price that they go for. I've never found enough to sell or give away. Sometimes only enough for one meal. :cry:

Phil

phat46

You guy realize you're eating FUNGUS don't you!!!   :shock:

Sean

Quote from: "phat46"You guy realize you're eating FUNGUS don't you!!!   :shock:

Thats allright, just leaves more for us... :wink:

58 Yeoman

Okay, I lied. It isn't the national, but state championship morel hunt this saturday. I took a 320 mile ride onthe bike today, and came by Magnolia, and saw the sign.  Don't ever believe anything I say, ever again. :oops:

Phil

"The one who dies with the most friends wins"