Hey Detroit area.......wanted, this old gasser.....

Started by slocrow, March 01, 2007, 09:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Does anyone from the Detroit area have a lead on this old gasser? It was sold to somebody in the Detroit area in the late 60's or early 70's. Tilt front end, Econoline straight axle, 57 Olds/Pont rear end, carpeted backseat area, racer buckets and Plexiglas side windows.
Just wondering if it's in the corner of some shop, garage or backyard. Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

slocrow

Quote from: "Crosley"looks like a 56 ?

8)
It is a 56......................you're messing with me, right?

Dave

Post it on the HAMB.. Nice looking 56 too.
Dave :wink:

tomslik

8)

and a 210 at that
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

slocrow

Nice 210 too, Tom. Lot's of fun memories. I'd like to find it if it's around and maybe rerun it..........
Hey Dave, Not being a traditionist re hotrods, I just lurk at the HAMB but it is a good idea. Feel free to help a friend out and post it for me........Frank

phat rat

Frank,  your saying you'd like to find it and rerun it. Does that mean it was yours?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"Nice 210 too, Tom. Lot's of fun memories. I'd like to find it if it's around and maybe rerun it..........
Hey Dave, Not being a traditionist re hotrods, I just lurk at the HAMB but it is a good idea. Feel free to help a friend out and post it for me........Frank

Ok will do Frank.. Right now
Dave

slocrow

Quote from: "phat rat"Frank,  your saying you'd like to find it and rerun it. Does that mean it was yours?
NO Jack, but a good friends and we all went to the drags together. This D/G car and the E/G 52 usually ran together and were record holders, at a time. If it's still pretty much together, it might be an easy get it running again to partake in this latest nostalgia gasser surge. Dreaming......(like).......Jimmy Clanton
..Thanks Dave......Frank

Roadstar

Ok here it is, come on how many 56 Chevy gassers with straight axles could they have made. :P

slocrow

Quote from: "Roadstar"Ok here it is, come on how many 56 Chevy gassers with straight axles could they have made. :P
Naaaa, that appears to be a 150 but hey, thanks for the help :P

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "slocrow"

8)
It is a 56......................you're messing with me, right?

:shock: nope , wanted to be sure i had the year correct
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Im kinda supprised they used a 56.. most everyone used 55's and 57's but id argue the looks.. I had a 56 when i was in high school and loved it.. I thought it was the best looking of the tri 5's........Ya know i dont remember but i thik mine was a 210 version. Minimal rust and everything.. Now granted i was only 16 or 17 when i bought it and i immediately (spelling) painted the stock green and white interior black and added mustang buckets :!: Then i fixed the rust over the headlights and painted the whole car flat black. It had a bright yellow 3 inch wide racing stripe courtesy of a buddy that was working at the local  A&W and was painting lines on the parking lot :lol:  :lol: Man the things we did when we were young.. I loved that car but my dad said it was unsafe. Prolly after he found the 40 packs of cigarettes in the glove box :?: Ha Ha another story.....
Dave  :wink:

tomslik

i had a 210 2dr post that i put a .060 283/4speed/4;88 gears in...
i learned that the firing order is backwards compared to a ferd....
2 big fireballs out of the tunnel ram;)....
:lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Carnut

I had a 56 210 wagon that really enjoyed having, had traded a 49 Merc for it even up and thought I really got the best part of the deal.

It had the powerpac 265 powerglide with dual exhaust.

Eventually broke the reverse gear band in the power glide and converted it over to a 3spd stick with factory parts.

Then the 265 expired and I found a built 292 with the famous '350' cam and put it in.

Not sure the combo actually ran any better than the original 265/glide, but it was fun.

Eventually found too much rust out in the floors and decided to sell it and buy a 65 El Camino.

One of the cars I do regret letting go, I'm pretty much a Wagon type of guy and always remember my 56 wagon when I get into my 89 Suburban.

Oh yeah, and a bit of a story on this one. The 265 in it was soo tired that I had to run almost pure STP in it to keep it from smoking like it was on fire.

One day at work I was blocked into my parking space by crowded parkers behind me, so I decided to just drive up over the low rail in the back of the parking space. So Up and Over and bang, no oil pressure. Well since I had never experienced a motor actually blowing on me I decided to just run it towards home and see how far I would get.

I lived about 4 or 5 mi away and just headed down the road. Engine temps never really got high and with the lifters ticking just a bit more than usual I actually made it all the way home, thru traffic and all, and drove right into the garage.

Over the weekend I jacked it up and removed the pan and found the oil pickup bumped off the oilpump. Decided to pull some main caps and see what the damage was, and by golly near as I could tell they all looked fine  and still a bit oily. I just reinstalled everything and fixed the oil pickup and replaced the pan.

Ran that motor for a good few months afterwards as I looked for the 292 replacement I eventually found.

Still have a couple of stories about braking the oil pumps in my 65 El Camino I could tell as well.