Wonder what Normal people think is an Old Car?

Started by Carnut, February 27, 2007, 07:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n.c.rodder

Two years ago we were on our way to the Milwaukee Nationals. I pulled in for gas, While filling up my 1939 chevy sedan, a gentleman walked over looking at the car. He turned to me and said - I've never seen a white PT Cruser before, did you have it painted that color?? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Till we meet - On the street

58 Yeoman

I watched a talk show a couple months ago, and they were saying that most teenagers today have NEVER talked on a land line, only cell phones.  What would they think of an older car, if all they've seen are the 'dropped clay balls' style cars of today?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

My grand daughter had never operated a rotary dial phone. :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Fun reading guys and gals.. I am enjoying this post. For some wierd reason I cant think of anything different to add cept I started rodding in the 70's and my second car that was a real steel 29 model a sure was old to me. I like all the old cars and most of em have better lines than the new stuff ...Ive hear some really wierd comments over the years but nothing really comes to mind at the moment.. Ill think on that...Slocrows 32 is really old now as well as him....
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

SKR8PN

Quote from: "enjenjo"My grand daughter had never operated a rotary dial phone. :shock:

I have a fully functional antique pay phone down in the bar....... a friend of mine brought his kids over a couple of weeks ago,and the boy asked me what that thing was..... neither one of them had ever SEEN a rotary dial phone! :shock:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

btrc

I'm not normal but I think of cars from the late 70s to early 90s as being old cars.  For some reason I never think of Rods, Customs, and Muscle cars as being old, just neat.  No matter what they are built like.

Bob
Bob

Mikej

An old car to me is one that I used to own, but I always refer to my 35 as the old car.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"My grand daughter had never operated a rotary dial phone. :shock:

I have one on the garage wall in daily use...One of the young guys from work stopped by last year to dropoff/ pick up something & asked if he could use my cell as he left his phone in the car...I told him to use the one on the wall by the door...he picked up the receiver & started poking at the dial holes...Then asked "how does this thing work" ?? He had never seen one.....The same kid cannot coprehend how a carburetor works...I told him to think how a toilet tank & float regulate the water level...He got this far away look in his eyes & just walked away......Sad........
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

bombcan

This has been a very interesting read to me also.

I turned 16 in 1974, my first car was a 61 Chevy Biscayne  it was 13 years old,  everybody called it an old car.  My folks didn't want me to leave town in it because it was so old, and probably undependable. (it had 28,000 original miles on it,LOL)

But looking around now a 13 year old car (1994) car isn't old to me.  In fact the 64 ford that I'm working on now really doesn't seem that old, except when I go to the auto parts store and the kid tells me his computer doesn't go back that far.

I guess to me an old car is something built before I was born, but, to some people cars are too old to drive before they make that 60th payment.

My dad has never understood my love of old cars, and now he can't believe that I'll leave town in cars that are 50 plus years old and go on vacation, and these cars shouldn't be as old to him as they are to me, LOL

Topsterguy

Kind of makes me think of a pretty "right on" saying!

"The experience of hot rods cannot be explained substantially to those unfamiliar. It cannot be shared with the unfeeling, it cannot be defined without prior knowlege. It's either part of you or it isn't and nothing can change that. Such is the nature of the soul and such is the way of the hot rod."

I like it! :wink:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

39deluxe

I have a couple of rotary dial phones around here left over from past homes. My father passed away just 2 years ago and he still had a rotary dial phone in service in his garage shop. Several people asked during the auction if it worked or was just for looks.

Tom

OzRod

Man, this post is a bit of a wake up call...  I still call my 79 holden late-model crap!

Gues I'm just old fashioned. Never owned a car built after I was born here  :wink:

t-vicky

Any car that I can remember being on the dealer show room floor just isnt old.  So dont tell me about your old 55 chevy.  To me my 65 Econoline PU is a late model.  My 40 Olds & 40 Chevy are everyday drivers & my 26 Ford vicky is a street rod.  My wife thinks that her 02 Nisson is old enough to send to the junk.  When I kick the bucket she will sell all my junk for $10.00

river1

Quote from: "t-vicky"When I kick the bucket she will sell all my junk for $10.00

i'll give her $12.00

hehe hopefully not to soon i'll have to save :wink:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

BFS57

Hello;
I have to interject something!
I think I speak for a few guys here!
When I was growing up, There were only old cars around that youngsters could afford and most were pretty used up so we all learned by hook or crook how to perform repairs needed and along the way, we learned that if we did a "little" something extra, our car would go better!
My first car was a 1948 Ford Sedan I purchased from a neighbor for $50.00. I played around with this car, and finally it succumbed to transmission failure! Next, I inherited my dad's 55 Chevy B.A. 4 door post car w/a 265 V-8. Then, My first new car, a 1965 Pontiac GTO!
For me, it's always been an old car because I like them and they always seem to keep running no matter how bad a condition they are!
Now that I am older, first thing I did was buy a 32 Ford because when I was young, my dad said I couldn't have one. Next, I purchased a 57 Chevy so I could have a daily driver and the fun hasn't stoped yet!
My daughter (12 years) is getting a little education. At least she knows a High Boy when she sees it!

Bruce