hanging doors on a glass body

Started by kb426, February 24, 2007, 03:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

What kind of an education will I get trying to hang doors on any of the glass bodies that are sold unfinished?
TEAM SMART

Leon

The last one I saw, when they got the doors mounted there was a 1/2 to 3/4" gap in spots that had to be filled!  It took a lot of work to get the door to look right.  I think it was from StreetBeasts.  I've heard that some of the other body manufacturers are a lot better.

Dave

Quote from: "kb426"What kind of an education will I get trying to hang doors on any of the glass bodies that are sold unfinished?

What are you thinking? If its a cost saving deal by buying a body and then hanging the doors .. Well Id say maybe yes maybe no. Cant they set it up on a frame amd hang the doors inner and outer for you for not too much more money  :?:  Thats the way i would go .. If not  then it could be fun.. If its a roadster plan on setting it on a frame and measuring to get everything close before you ever think about bonding stuff together. if its a coupe its a little easier cause they dont move near as much as a roadster.. Then again you could by my roadster and finish it..

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Just needs a little welding and paint and final assembly
dave

kb426

Daydreaming about 32 5 window's. I'm plenty capable as a fabricator. I'm wondering how much patience it takes. :lol:
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I do a lot of fiberglass work and I had thought about buying a body that required the assembly of the doors, trunk lid and such.  The more I thought about it the less I am inclined to buy one that needs this done.  It is relatively simple for a manufacture to make a jig and assemble the inner and outer of two parts.  Why they even think of selling parts unassembled is something I do not understand.  I wonder about the quality of the rest of their parts if they are inclined to sell you something that you must assemble and fit.  Fiberglass car bodies require fitting and alignment even after the factory has done quality work.  I would run away from the idea of assembling the inner and outer of fiberglass parts.  To many things can go wrong.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Dave

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I do a lot of fiberglass work and I had thought about buying a body that required the assembly of the doors, trunk lid and such.  The more I thought about it the less I am inclined to buy one that needs this done.  It is relatively simple for a manufacture to make a jig and assemble the inner and outer of two parts.  Why they even think of selling parts unassembled is something I do not understand.  I wonder about the quality of the rest of their parts if they are inclined to sell you something that you must assemble and fit.  Fiberglass car bodies require fitting and alignment even after the factory has done quality work.  I would run away from the idea of assembling the inner and outer of fiberglass parts.  To many things can go wrong.

John

:!:  :!:  :!:

rumrumm

You are money ahead buying a finished body from one of the better manufacturers. The time and frustration you could accumulate in one of these projects is not worth the low price. You get what you pay for. Buyer beware!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Leon"The last one I saw, when they got the doors mounted there was a 1/2 to 3/4" gap in spots that had to be filled!  It took a lot of work to get the door to look right.  I think it was from StreetBeasts.  I've heard that some of the other body manufacturers are a lot better.

I can't BELIEVE that streetbeasts are still in buisness!!! Goes to show you that $$$$$$$ talks, cuz a few of the mags are still running their advertising! :x
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Topsterguy

When I was building / collecting parts for my roadster I asked the owner of the main hot rod shop in my area what the price diference was  between a Gibbon roadster body and a Wescott roadster body. He said about $2000, BUT, you can take a Gibbon body and put $2000 into it and you STILL don't have a Wescott body! He said if you're going to build it to sell buy the Gibbon - if you're going to keep it pay the extra and buy the Wescott. I did and it was well worth the extra $$$.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"