Help!! Need headlight braces for 35 Ford

Started by 40, April 27, 2004, 11:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been tearing my 35 Ford Coupe apart for a repaint and in the process,realized I am missing the two headlight braces that bolt to the front frame horns up under the fenders and support the headlights.It was restored many years ago and a cover from an electrical junction box was drilled and mounted beneath the fender for support....it looks pretty tacky and I want to replace them with the original braces if I can find them.Just wondering if anyone has a pair laying around or may know of a source to locate them??Another question....I have my 36 Coupe apart as well and though the 36 braces look like they will work,does anyone know if they are the same for sure??Thanks!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

You got a picture? I may have some, but I don't know what they look like.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Frank,I don't have a picture....mine are missing completely.I will try and take one from my 36 and see if they are the same....If they look like they will work,I'll snap a photo of one of them and post it.Perhaps someone on the board will know if they are the same or can snap a photo of thiers to show us what they look like.I will also go thru a few of my old catalogs and see if I can find a schematic showing them.Thanks!

Frank,here is a photo from the Spadaro catalog.It shows one for a 36...as I said,I'm not sure if they are the same for 35....I have my doubts as it lists it for 36 not 35/36.They are calling it a front fender support...It may be differant due to the external horns on a 35.Thanks for the help!

enjenjo

Ok, I'll take a look, I have several boxes of 35, 36 small parts.

348tripower

I got a pair off EBay. They don't seem to be a hot item on there, I was the only bidder.  I have seen more listed, ya just have to keep checking.
Don :lol:

Quote from: "40"I have been tearing my 35 Ford Coupe apart for a repaint and in the process,realized I am missing the two headlight braces that bolt to the front frame horns up under the fenders and support the headlights.It was restored many years ago and a cover from an electrical junction box was drilled and mounted beneath the fender for support....it looks pretty tacky and I want to replace them with the original braces if I can find them.Just wondering if anyone has a pair laying around or may know of a source to locate them??Another question....I have my 36 Coupe apart as well and though the 36 braces look like they will work,does anyone know if they are the same for sure??Thanks!!
Don Colliau

couper

Quote from: "40"I have been tearing my 35 Ford Coupe apart for a repaint and in the process,realized I am missing the two headlight braces that bolt to the front frame horns up under the fenders and support the headlights.It was restored many years ago and a cover from an electrical junction box was drilled and mounted beneath the fender for support....it looks pretty tacky and I want to replace them with the original braces if I can find them.Just wondering if anyone has a pair laying around or may know of a source to locate them??Another question....I have my 36 Coupe apart as well and though the 36 braces look like they will work,does anyone know if they are the same for sure??Thanks!!

Daryle, the 36 brackets are different according to my friend who owns a 35 sedan and also does rodder bodywork. He says the 35 brackets resemble an eyebrow in shape, and the 36's are different in shape.
I'm going to the PATE swap meet in Texas this weekend. Email me with a phone # and I'll call you from down there if I run accross anything.
lance

"I got a pair off EBay. They don't seem to be a hot item on there, I was the only bidder. I have seen more listed, ya just have to keep checking."
    Don,Could you possibly take a photo of what yours look like and post it here or email it to me??I will check e-Bay.
    Lance,I'll shoot you an e-mail.....Thanks Guys!

enjenjo

I looked throug the boxes, didn't see any thing that resembles that.  This stuff is pretty well picked through, more than I thought. About all that's left is some side window regulators, a couple ashtrays, and some spare tire mounts.

348tripower

I'll try to get a picture this weekend. Mine have been shortened and are on the car right now so I don't know how the picture will turn out, but I'll try anything.
:lol:
    Don,Could you possibly take a photo of what yours look like and post it here or email it to me??I will check e-Bay.
    Lance,I'll shoot you an e-mail.....Thanks Guys![/quote]
Don Colliau

Frank...Thanks for checking! I'm in no real big hurry(As in the painter is in no hurry AT ALL :roll: ) so if I can't locate a pair, even with my limited fabricating skills,I can probably come up with something better than a junction box cover :roll:

Don,I did manage to find a photo of the headlight/fender braces in an old catalog so save yourself the hassle of taking the photo.I do appreciate the offer though! I may have a pair located in California...a friend of mine is checking it out for me.I did look on eBay but my eyeballs were about ready to fall out of the sockets before I got 1/2 way thru the listings...most of that stuff should be sold at a rummage sale :roll:

Fat Cat

Quote from: "40"most of that stuff should be sold at a rummage sale :roll:

and just what do you think ebay is? :lol:

36couper

Daryle, if I remember correctly, there are two styles of fender braces for '35's and '36's. There is the shorter one like the one you described and then there is a longer one that runs under the complete width of the fender. Sort of perpendicular  to it. Mac's Antique Auto Parts in Western New York.  I also looked in the Midwest Early V8 catalogue (pg 92) and they carry them at a price of $130 for the pair. Their ph number is 800 543 5035

Thanks Al....I think I've got a pair located but I'll keep that info handy just in case.Hope you're enjoying the heck out of your 36...Mine is STILL at the painters....he works on it about 3 or 4 hours once in a while on Sunday :roll:  if it's not too hot or cold,too wet or dry etc,etc...I'm not sure I'll live long enough to enjoy or if he'll live long enough to finish it!