GM column shift parts

Started by UGLY OLDS, February 19, 2007, 07:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Does anyone know if "oversize" pins are still available for the shift levers on GM  columns?? This in the small round pin that the shift lever "pivots" on when it is installed into the "cup" or "bowl" on the steering column. It used to be common for these pins to wear & loosen over time & GM dealers used to stock a slightly oversize pin to resolve the problem of the pin working loose ,( ie: coming out of the shift bowl or cup ) , rather than replacing the cup & lever...Idea's ?????  Thanks...Bob
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

If you find a source, let me know. I was getting them from a guy here that rebuilt columns, but the law caught up to him, and he left for parts unknown. :shock:

The last couple I did, I made my own pins, but it's not very time effective.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

I had one of those that plagued me for a long time, so I JB Welded the pin in there. Stayed. Eventually moved the shift to the floor when I put a 700 in it. Put a no-shift cplumn in.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

slocrow

Hey Bob; How about buying a cheap drill bit, the size you need and cut off the length you want..........Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

Quote from: "slocrow"Hey Bob; How about buying a cheap drill bit, the size you need and cut off the length you want..........Frank

The problem is , Frank, one end is larger, and knurled to hold it in place. I have made new oversize ones out of drill rod, but it takes too long to be cost effective.

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "slocrow"Hey Bob; How about buying a cheap drill bit, the size you need and cut off the length you want..........Frank

The problem is , Frank, one end is larger, and knurled to hold it in place. I have made new oversize ones out of drill rod, but it takes too long to be cost effective.

is this what it looks like?

what are the dimensions of the stock piece?

how much bigger is the needed one?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "river1"

is this what it looks like?

what are the dimensions of the stock piece?

how much bigger is the needed one?

later jim

That looks close..I'll pull a column apart tomorrow pm & see if i can get some specs unless Frank has one handy laying around....Thanks Everybody...

slocrow

Ok, though in a pinch I might try to make it work. What about a roll pin? That might do OK, or am I off the mark...............again. :) Frank

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "slocrow"

Ok, though in a pinch I might try to make it work. What about a roll pin? That might do OK, or am I off the mark...............again. :) Frank

A roll pin / piece of drill rod etc. will work as a temp repair & we have all done this in the past...As frank Explained, the knurl is the key to holding them in place properly... They used to be available at dealers, larger parts stores , ( as "quick-fix" parts in the little bubble packs) , & from column rebuilders. I guess as more cars go to those new-fangled floor shifter things, the repair pins are going out of style...Something will turn up...Thanx again...Bob

enjenjo

I have to rebuild one tomorrow, I'll measure the pin. I don't have it memorized.

The problem with a roll pin, the original pin is tight in the collar, and the shift lever pivots on it. If you use a roll pin, it's tight in the shifter, and loose in the column. Since the column collar is die cast, it wears out in no time.Where the collar wears on the original pin, is at the top, where the knurl holds it in place. So the oversize replacement pin, is actually the same size, except the knurl, which tightens it up.

I have made a new pin out of mild steel, with a button head screw to hold it in place, but they wear fast too.

UGLY OLDS

I have to rebuild one tomorrow, I'll measure the pin. I don't have it memorized.

The problem with a roll pin, the original pin is tight in the collar, and the shift lever pivots on it. If you use a roll pin, it's tight in the shifter, and loose in the column. Since the column collar is die cast, it wears out in no time.Where the collar wears on the original pin, is at the top, where the knurl holds it in place. So the oversize replacement pin, is actually the same size, except the knurl, which tightens it up.

I have made a new pin out of mild steel, with a button head screw to hold it in place, but they wear fast too.

Perfect explanation...Thank You Frank.... :D

slocrow

OK, I'm out of ideas, for now....................... :twisted:

river1

good explanation. i think charlie has the best idea to fix it, JB Weld.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

The pin is .219 D, the knurled part is .228 D, the length overall is 1.390

sirstude

How about hinge pins in the "Help" section at the parts house?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us