50 Chevy front end conversion

Started by kb426, February 19, 2007, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I have read about using a mid 60's 1/2 ton chevy pickup front crossmember and a-arms on a AD chevy pickup. Does anyone have any exp. with this deal?
TEAM SMART

tomslik

too wide but if you "sumner" the fenders....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "tomslik"too wide but if you "sumner" the fenders....

I have read that you could remove material from the center of the suspension member to make fit. ED
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

tomslik

you can but it'll only get ya 2" max....+ you'll have to shorten the center link(not a big deal).
kinda depend on how low ya want it...

Charlie Chops 1940

I did a back steer Camaro/Nova sub on an AD a number of years ago. Worked out very low with okay tire clearance. Have to watch the front spacing on the front wheels.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "kb426"I have read about using a mid 60's 1/2 ton chevy pickup front crossmember and a-arms on a AD chevy pickup. Does anyone have any exp. with this deal?

It also seems to me that people who have mid 60's pickups replace the front with a '73?? up for better brakes and such.  Don't remember all the details, maybe Frank or someone will know what I'm trying to say.  If the newer one is the same width you might want to at least start there.

c ya,

Sum

OldSub

'63 to '87 IFS is very similar in design and they carried it a few years further in Suburbans.  Starting in '72 5-lug disk brakes were standard.  I've never understood the '73-up bit, except the body changed that year and its easy to remember.

I'd look for a '72 or later and choose the one with the best bushings, bearings and brakes rather than worrying about the year.

However, my take is that its too wide, but if you want IFS and disk brakes with a basically stock ride height its not too hard to find wheels that make it acceptable.  If you want to lower the truck, this is probably the wrong way to go.

'Sumnerizing' your fenders does change the picture and might be the answer you want.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Crosley.In.AZ

A torsion bar Volarie setup is too wide .  Been there, done it.

A fellow suggested it to me , "works great"  he said.

I set the stuff up and it was tooo wide.

I called him and ask about the setup...... " oh that will be too wide for your 48 chev".  

Last time I ever talked to him.

:twisted:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

46 fordpickup

I put a 73 full size on a 56 chev pick up it was too wide i fixed it by cutting the lower control arm and moving it in 1 inch and repositioning the upper ball joint . This worked ok but it was only slightly lowered and i think the 56 is a little wider in the fenders than the early 50"s ones. I am currently doing a 54 and i"m using the caprice front clip.it is correct width but if you really want to slam it you may want to use the malibu cutlass set up  you can use s 10 lowering spindles on them so i am told. oh ya on th 56 i just cut a little off the threaded end of each tie rod inner and outer and then threaded them in the sleeve further.it also got 2 inch lowering spinles and it only dropped 1 inch lower than stock.good luck hope this helps

kb426

After reading all the replys, I'm not seeing anything to make me want to do that. I'm not happy with my steering box on my dropped axle. I want to keep manual steering. Does anyone know of a newer box that is small enough to fit and has enough travel to work? My header is right up against the stock box so the width is really important. I looked at vega cross steering but the truck weights 3200 lbs. I have read that 2200 should be the limit for a vega box.
TEAM SMART

GPster

Quote from: "kb426"I'm not happy with my steering box on my dropped axle. I want to keep manual steering. Does anyone know of a newer box that is small enough to fit and has enough travel to work? My header is right up against the stock box so the width is really important. I looked at vega cross steering but the truck weights 3200 lbs. I have read that 2200 should be the limit for a vega box.
I probably need pictures to understand all of this but isn't your truck drag link steered? The old way to fix this problem used to be spacing the stock steering box out and away from the frame. I would think any kind of cross-steer installation is going to make even more problems with exhaust if it runs inside the frame and you're going to have to find room for the sideways pittman arm and cross drag link. If you have room inside the frame how about the old "Pete and Jake's" Mustang set-up with the pittman arm going up? Another idea that might be worth looking at would be '60s through '80s Chevrolet 4 wheel drive trucks with solid front axels. Aren't they drag link steered with the box mounted to the outside of the frame in front of the axel? Actually your stock box should work from there if it wasn't questionable. GPster

tomslik

hey, i'll have a manual box from a 62 1/2ton pretty soon(depending on how much snow we get in the next few weeks) if it'll do ya any good.
mounts to the outside of the frame (vegas and most pass cars are on the inside)

39deluxe

Putting an AD on a S10 chassis is common and the fit is good. You could just cut off an S10 front clip or use the whole chassis then you would have a large choice of dropped spindles and springs to set it where you want it.

Tom

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "39deluxe"Putting an AD on a S10 chassis is common and the fit is good. You could just cut off an S10 front clip or use the whole chassis then you would have a large choice of dropped spindles and springs to set it where you want it.

Tom

that what Iam doing I have a 53 AD to put on an 85 s10 shortbet same wheel base I also have a 85 blazer 4x4 both 400 dollars the rear end of the blazer is correct for the 53 on the s10 frame there is this guy who sell the bracket kit, but I will make up my own.

http://www.ad-engineering.com/  good luck keep us informed how it goes  Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

39deluxe

I recall a discussion about that bracket kit on a truck forum I frequent. There is a good group of AD guys there.

Tom