Lets talk batterys

Started by 48ford, February 12, 2007, 02:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I have to take my trunk apart to get to the battery, so one of those little red disconnect things wouldn't do me much good. I would have to replace the upholstery from abuse if I were to disconnect every time it was to be parked for a while. I hook the battery charger up at the alternator.

58 Yeoman

I'm replacing the battery in my 02 Goldwing today.  Bought it new in late 02, has 49000 miles on it, and the last time I rode it, the lights would dim a bit on idle.  It's been dead once or twice, but recharged fine.  Went with the original Yuasa.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

donsrods

You guys up North are lucky in the respect you get that kind of life out of a battery.  Here in Florida 2-3 years is average because of the heat, I guess. Some people might get longer, but not usually.

Don

brti

Batteries can be a real pain. They cost alot no matter what brand you by. If you have a good alternator with good diodes, good grounds, clean connections, tight belts, good cables, you're still faced with the damm things sulphiding and not taking a charge. I think for a guys ride you should rotate the battery from your ride every two years or so and put it into a tractor or another car that's used more and buy the "fresh" one for the ride. A guy can't win with these things they're only good for so long and that's it. Forget about that old starter that's dragging the life out of it everytime you start up.
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

Carps

Quote from: "Beck"I have to take my trunk apart to get to the battery, so one of those little red disconnect things wouldn't do me much good.

Mine is in the earth lead (Oddesey reccomend disconnecting earth not positive) next to the fire extinguisher on the floor beneath my feet.

Just reach down after turning ignition off, rotate the big red key and remove.  Car is now secure (ish) and battery isolated.

I'd figure your cables run from the battery to starter motor on engine so it shouldn't be hard to locate the connector in the front floorboards.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

river1

Quote from: "Carps"The instructions clearly state that if the car is to sit idle for a period of time the battery should be disconnected from eart, to stop it draining.  I'm sure most of us have one of those little red key disconnects on our battery for security if nothing else.

i think carps is talkin about one of these

Quote from: "Beck"I have to take my trunk apart to get to the battery, so one of those little red disconnect things wouldn't do me much good. I would have to replace the upholstery from abuse if I were to disconnect every time it was to be parked for a while. I hook the battery charger up at the alternator.

while beck is thinkin one of these

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

flt-blk

I run a DynaBatt in my Model A, it sounds similar to the Oddesy.

The Batt is 4years old and hasn't missed a beat, even when it was down
with the motor out of it for several months.  

http://www.performancedistributors.com/batteries.htm

I have a dry cell from NTB in my other car, very similar to the Optima, no problems with them either.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Carps

Thanx Jim, that's the sucker.  Saved me takin a foter when I get home.   :D

Don't think I ever saw one of the other things.  So I figure it somehow attaches to the battery terminal?
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

river1

Quote from: "Carps"Don't think I ever saw one of the other things.  So I figure it somehow attaches to the battery terminal?

yup, there are slightly different designs out there tho

one like yours is much more convenient to use tho.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.