Battery Box Question

Started by Rayvyn, February 11, 2007, 06:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

I'm looking to make a battery box for the Pontiac. I'll be dammmmed if I'm paying $250.00 for a cheap chrome one.

What is the recommended clearance between the battery and the box for ventilation?   1/2", 3/4", 1"... :?:

Thanks in advance.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

tom36

You know, that's a good question! I never really thought about it-- I've used plastic boat battery boxes and group 24 batteries in the past and they fit kinda' snug but I never had a ventilation problem.  These were/are all in the trunk.  Now when I buy a new battery, I buy an Optima, and I don't think that they gaas like lead acid as you can mount them upside down if you wanted.  Tom...

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"I'm looking to make a battery box for the Pontiac. I'll be dammmmed if I'm paying $250.00 for a cheap chrome one.

What is the recommended clearance between the battery and the box for ventilation?   1/2", 3/4", 1"... :?:

Thanks in advance.

well lets see its a barge and most watercraft used Teak . Have you priced teak lately :?:  I havent but its preatty easy to work with and it can be bleached when it gets dirty so that may be a plus also.... Really though Ive always used the plastic boxes and I get mine at tractor supply cause they are really cheap there .. all the rod shops and even summit and jegs give you a big time screwing for a little plastic box :?: The only other one i ever tried was one of the stainless drop out kind and we put that in my buddys model a and it worked out great. I would think a 1/2 inch would be fine and i think it actually could be tight everywhere cept for the top.

Dave :arrow:

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Rayvyn"I'm looking to make a battery box for the Pontiac. I'll be dammmmed if I'm paying $250.00 for a cheap chrome one.

Thanks in advance.
Are you planning to keep it under the hood?? If so, how 'bout a plain chrome or painted sheet metal cover held down by the battery hold down bolts?? ( Make sure you put a rubber "boot" cover over the positive cable clamp ) ...Just a thought..... :idea:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Thanks in advance.

well lets see its a barge and most watercraft used Teak . Have you priced teak lately :?:  

Dave :arrow:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hey Barney...........

:)(   :shock:   :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

enjenjo

1/2 is plenty. make sure there is a vent. I install 1/4" rubber on the inside of the top to prevent shorting.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

Who sells battery boxes for 250 dollars,I think I am in the wrong business.  Jeff

Rayvyn

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Who sells battery boxes for 250 dollars,I think I am in the wrong business.  Jeff

http://cliffsclassicchevrolet.com/page18.htm

Scroll down... :shock:
***SFC-Team Smart***

Carnut

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Who sells battery boxes for 250 dollars,I think I am in the wrong business.  Jeff

Yeah, but, you get your choice of louvered or ribbed.

junkyardjeff

If one would buy every cover they made there would be a fortune spent in under the hood.  Jeff

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Carnut"

He turns the ribbed ones inside out so that.............Oh......never mind :oops:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "Carnut"

He turns the ribbed ones inside out so that.............Oh......never mind :oops:

Vance

Ewe are real lucky you quit when you did, Flock Daddy... :P  :D  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

RottenRodney

High, I'm Rotten, and I'm kinda new here, so I don't know what kind of Pontiac ya've got, or if this would be appropriate, but I'm seriously considerin' usin' this:

I picked this up a couple, or three daze ago, from the local Army-Surplus store, for considerably less than $250.00.  It'll end up less recognizable when it's finished.  Ordiarily, I'd incorporate a drain-tube into the bottom of any battery-box, but this time, I'm thinkin' Oprima, so I might skip that part.  Just cheatin' -- on the cheap.  RR

enjenjo

I used an old cooler for a battery box on the Airflow I built.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

RottenRodney

Quote from: "enjenjo"I used an old cooler for a battery box on the Airflow I built.

That battery-cooler could be fun at those "NO COOLERS" events.  

Yawl, sorry 'bout blowin' this thread all to pieces with the size of my pitcher.  I've been tryin' hard to figger this out, I've deleted the same post a handful of times, and retried.  First, standard Photobucket whatever, then I resized smaller, then smaller still, but when the 'submit' button gits pushed, it always makes the letters run off the page.  That's a pain in the rump to read that way.  If anyone has a clue, please clue me in??  Thanks...  RR