Late model transmission woes

Started by 41woodie, February 09, 2007, 02:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Well this is car related but not street rod.  My daughters '97 Dodge Caravan has learned a new trick and I need some help diagnosing the problem please.  Occasionally it will not up-shift and simply stays in low gear when pulling away from a stop.  It kind of picks and choses when to do this, but today I took it out on the interstate and kicked into passing gear and it went into passing gear without problem, when I decelerated and tried to kick into passing again it wouldn't go.  I pulled to the side of the road and started off again from a stop and it would not shift out of first no matter what I did.  I asked her what she did to get it to work properly and she said she simply pulled over, turned off the ignition, waited just a second and started off again.  I did that and it worked just fine.  
Trans does not appear to be slipping at all just won't shift properly at times.  Anyone hazard a guess as to the problem.  I feel like the transmission itself is ok and that the problem is more likely in linkage, modulator, vacumm line, electrical switch etc.  I know less than nothing about transmissions and particularly anything other than a Th-350 or P-Glide.  Would really appreciate some guess's she's not in a position to buy a transmission right now.  MH

tomslik

caravan trannys default to 2nd gear if the fluid is low (check in neutral).
from there, it's scanner time...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

kb426

If it's not low fluid, I think you have a computer problem. I don't know the repair or diagnostic procedure.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

of course the tranny is just fine , all is happy.  :wink:

these transaxle have a little box that bolts onto the trans case.  To this box a large electrical plug is hooked into it..... many wires there.

If there is oil around this box (leak) at the plugg connector  that could be the problem. Check for fresh oil (leak) 'in' the connector area inside and out.

IS the speed-O operating properly?  The VSS is near the little box I mentioned earlier in this post.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

41woodie

Crosley, thanks for the info.  The speedo appears to work just fine but this van has always had some freaky electrical quirks.  Some of the control lights on the dash flash on and off constantly, the e-brake light comes on in low gear but goes off as you accelerate etc.  I'll crawl under and see what I can see regarding the box on the tranny.  Computers aren't cheap but they have to be cheaper than a whole transmission.  I feel like it's more likely a connection problem but we'll see.  Everyone's response are appreciated

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "41woodie"Crosley, thanks for the info.  The speedo appears to work just fine but this van has always had some freaky electrical quirks.  Some of the control lights on the dash flash on and off constantly, the e-brake light comes on in low gear but goes off as you accelerate etc.  I'll crawl under and see what I can see regarding the box on the tranny.  Computers aren't cheap but they have to be cheaper than a whole transmission.  I feel like it's more likely a connection problem but we'll see.  Everyone's response are appreciated

the box I mention is above the pan rail at the front side of the trans axle.

this box is a solenoid pack.  the PCM controls the trans through this box.

8)

Most of these transaxles I have delt with ( Not many) have been scrap metal inside..... we have sent the customer to Mopar dealer for a reman unit with 3/36 warranty
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)