Old, Screw on Master Cylinder Cap.....

Started by Sean, April 26, 2004, 09:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Got any idea where I can get one?  NAPA doesn't have it, neither does O'Reilly or Auto Zone.

Bought a rebuilt Master Cylinder for my '65 F100 and it didn't come with a cap. I noticed right off the bat that the top of the rebuilt cylinder was threaded for a screw-on cap, but failed to notice that there were no holes on the sides to use the bail and cap that was on my original M/C.

After I had it installed and all the air bled back out of the system, I found out that my cap wasn't going to work. Too late then; and although Autozone sold me the M/C, they can't get the correct cap for it :evil:  :x

htrdsx

You might try NAPA or a local salvage yard.  Dennis Carpenter sells one for 16.50 with gasket on their web site at //www.dennis-carpenter.com
That's what came stock on my 64 Ford.
Gary B
My Old Car Pages  //www.nucwa.com/page2.html

Sean

Quote from: "htrdsx"You might try NAPA or a local salvage yard.  Dennis Carpenter sells one for 16.50 with gasket on their web site at //www.dennis-carpenter.com
That's what came stock on my 64 Ford.
Gary B

Thanks. I checked with Carpenter and by the time they tack $8 shipping on that cap it cost's more than the Rebuilt M/C itself. I'll check the junkyards first and if I can't find one I guess I'll have to go with Carpenter.

htrdsx

Sean,
I just checked NAPA's site and they show a rebuilt unit with the cap for around 18 bucks plus shipping.  If you can get them to get you one locally, it would still be cheaper than Carpenters,  I know they're real proud of all their stuff.
check this out:  http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15516071&image_view=Left+Side

Gary B
My Old Car Pages  //www.nucwa.com/page2.html

Sean

Thanks. I didn't think about going to NAPA's website. I sent them an email asking if they offered the cap and gasket.

The Partsman at my local NAPA spent 15 minutes looking through all his books, then tried to give me a little black plastic cap, about 1 1/2" wide, with male threads on it....

58 Yeoman

That wouldn't be the same size as a canning jar lid, would it? If it is, there are one piece jar lids that may get you by until you find one at a swap meet.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Sean

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"That wouldn't be the same size as a canning jar lid, would it? If it is, there are one piece jar lids that may get you by until you find one at a swap meet.

It looks like the threads are bigger than what a Mason Jar uses, but its worth a try.Thanks.