Disabled-accessible Hot-rod or "Sled"! ( ? )

Started by Butchie, April 26, 2004, 11:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

Fellow here has a very nice ElCamino.  Hand controls.  Also has a little electric crane in the left front corner of the bed.  He gets in and the crane lifts and stows the chair in the bed.  It is really trick.  Next time I see him at a show I will take some pictures.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

river1

i know you said you wanted a merc but as i read your post (before getting to the merc part) my first thought was mid sixties lincoln. they have always been on my list of cars i'd like to have so maybe i'm partial to them.

borrowed the pics from http://www.carnut.com

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Butchie

Too much man!  Are you saying YOU have this old Desoto for sale?  If so...  can you tell me more?  i.e.  - How much ( $ ) and whats the story on motor and drivetrain etc.?

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Welcome to RRT.

Sounds like you are getting some good advice.  I have a '38/'39 ford pickup that I'm going to stretch the cab on, so like one of the other posts mentioned that is an option.

I have the following Desoto Limo that is probably available if you did decide to go to something like that.

Not as pretty at this stage as the one in the other post, but it is probably  a lot less expensive  :lol: .

Well good luck with your venture and keep us posted on what you end up doing.

c ya, Sum

Butchie

Thanks amigo!  SWEET Lincoln!! I always liked that particular make too...  'cause it has a lot of older 'Bird lines.  Trust the bullet-holes are "stick-ons"!!  And yeah...  this could be the ticket for me; if and/or I dont seem able to lay hands to a 49-51 Merc or other earlier ride with "suicide" rear doors.

Lord hug you tight...           -  Butchie

Quote from: "river1"i know you said you wanted a merc but as i read your post (before getting to the merc part) my first thought was mid sixties lincoln. they have always been on my list of cars i'd like to have so maybe i'm partial to them.

borrowed the pics from http://www.carnut.com

later jim

Butchie

Thanks amigo!  Yeah, I've seen some of those gizmos! One is made by "Bruno" I think.  Did the one you saw also "lay-down" in the bed with the chair? I ask, as I was ( and still am ) toying the idea of the new Chevy SSR hot-rod truck . . .  but alas- the set-up affords NO extra cab space for my wheelchair...  so it'd have to go in the bed. Question is- HOW!?  I could get someone to put it in and out for me...  but what a pain- and the MAIN idea is independance!!  Anyway... a "crane" would need to lay flat preferably.

Lord hug you tight...       - Butchie

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Fellow here has a very nice ElCamino.  Hand controls.  Also has a little electric crane in the left front corner of the bed.  He gets in and the crane lifts and stows the chair in the bed.  It is really trick.  Next time I see him at a show I will take some pictures.

Butchie

Hey amigo!  Yeah...  I could do that-  but for someone who has to be in a wheelcair ALL day ( ...and they AINT made for "comfort" )- getting OUT of that sucker is a small mercy!!  Even my S-10 seat is like heaven compared to sitting in the ( shudder ) "Iron Maiden"!!

Lord hug you tight...         - Butchie

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Butchie,welcome to the RRT!
I have done a few hand control setups for folks in the past,and am wondering if maybe you could drive the vehicle from your chair,instead of stowing it? Is that an option where you live? I have seen a Panel Delivery setup with the rear door as a ramp to get in,and special locks in the floor to hold your chair in the driving position. Something to think about......

Butchie

Thanks so much amigo!  I saved this picture!!  Sorry to know the bro' has passed on...  but he left a heck of a ride behind, eh!?  I wondered how difficult it was for him to get his chair latched-up on the back like that?  Dont know if you knew his paraplegia "level"? I'm T4...  chest-down paralysis that nix's gut and lower back muscles-  so my balance can be tricky; and usually need to be holding on to one thing or other, or braced against something real good to do something arms-free...  which you'd almost need to lift that chair and turn with it!  I'm going to possibly guess Fred was a lower injury level ( say L2 or so )- which leaves you with muscles for balance.

Lord hug you tight...            - Butchie

Quote from: "purplepickup"First of all welcome to the RRT.

When I read your post my first thought was that an early panel truck or suburban type truck would be good because you could install a lift in the side door.  I know there's some out there so I did a search to see if I could find some for sale.  It's usually cheaper to buy something already close to the way you want it than it is to build it.  In the search I ran across this page which shows what you already know......you definitely aren't limited to a lift.  http://www.newmobility.com/review_article.cfm?id=310&action=browse

I knew a paraplegic named Fred that was on another forum, who has passed away now, that had a '26 track T roadster that had a rack on the back to hold his chair.   Here's a picture.

*edit*  You posted your last post about the same time I did and I see you'd really like a shoebox or merc.  I hope you can find one you like.  Posting at places like here will definitely help.

Butchie

HOLY  SMOKE amigo!!!  Now THAT'S a sled brother!!!  And that lay-out is real cool!!! For me-  I'd pull my chair in ( folded-up ) into the driver side rear door.  I use a manual chair. ( If I drove one of those electric things I'd weigh 700 pounds man!! ) As I said to another here too-  I'd want to get OUT of my chair, and into a regular car seat. Wheelchairs jus' aint built for comfort!!  -  But when you noted "Hi Desert" my bells rung...  because thats where I am!!  Tho' high-desert of Southern CA.  But was wondering where this cat was at, and how I might contact him or the club? Let me know amigo...  and THANKS again!! SAVED this pic!!!

Lord hug you tight...          - Butchie

Quote from: "Dennis the Menace"
Quote from: "Leon"There's a guy that's from somewhere around San Bernardino - Victorville area that took a DeSoto limo and added a chair ramp, electric actuators for the rear door, etc. to make a wheelchair accessable rod.  His name is Jerry and is well known in that area.  I'm sure he could give you some ideas.  I know he goes to the cruise night at Toms Burgers on Bear Valley Road I think on Wednesday nights.

His name is Jerry, He is the President of the Hi Desert Car Club Council here is a photo of his car.[/img][/quote]

Dennis the Menace

Butchie

His name is Jerry, He is the President of the Hi Desert Car Club Council. He lives in Victorville, Ca.
He will be at the "Tech X" Car Show at Victor Valley Collage on Saturday, May 1st. from 8:00 am to ? The Collage is on Bear Valley Rd. in Victorville.
Dennis 8)
Photo Guy: WWW.hotrodhotline.com
Dennis  8)

Leon

Quote from: "Butchie"But when you noted "Hi Desert" my bells rung...  because thats where I am!!  Tho' high-desert of Southern CA.  But was wondering where this cat was at, and how I might contact him or the club?
He uses the motorized chair to get in and out but climbs into a regular seat to drive.  He uses the chair when he's not wearing the legs.  I believe he lives in Apple Valley, most people in the High Desert Car Club Council know how to get in touch with him.  He's usually at Tom's on Bear Valley Road I think on Wed. nights, He used to have (and may still have) a white model A with a rack on the back for the chair, and a brown 57 Chevy sedan delivery with a mural on the side.  I'll see if I can get a number for him.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Butchie"Too much man!  Are you saying YOU have this old Desoto for sale?  If so...  can you tell me more?  i.e.  - How much ( $ ) and whats the story on motor and drivetrain etc.?

I bought the car a couple years ago in Missouri and towed it to Utah about a year ago.  I haven't had any time to work on it as I've been building my house (which is now basically done).

Someone put an AMC 6 in it.  Desoto didn't have the hemi in '51 so originally it had a flathead 6.  I haven't tried to get the 6 running as I was going to put a sbc in it.  The brakes on the left front are fozen, so it doesn't roll too good right now.  In the next couple months I'll try and get it rolling and see if the AMC runs.  It is the same motor as in my Jeep.

I wanted to get this car running for us to use on trips, but now have a couple other projects ahead of it.  I haven't been pushing selling it, but did put a for sale sign in the window to keep people from asking me all the time if it was for sale.  If you thought it would do the job for you I would consider selling it for what it cost and my expenses getting it to Utah.  Right now the for sale sign is higher than that.

It has rust in the trunk, bottoms of the doors and rockers.  Someone has screwed in large patch panels to the floors and there is more rust in the floors and probably some other areas I don't know about yet.  If I did the car I would replace the whole floor area.  This could probably get expensive if you had to farm this work out.  The car is pretty straight.  It has repair damage to the right rear fender (cracked bondo) and the trim is missing on that fender.  The original front seat is gone and the dash is a little butchered with a  radio install someone did.  Actually I haven't had a lot of time to look at it myself yet.  I was going to change the front suspension (although some people rebuild these), french the headlights, remove some of the trim, do something different with the taillights and lower it.  As far as I can tell they made about 300 of these cars that year.  There are jump seats behind the front seat that fold into the floor and the rear seat is completly behing the rear door so there is about 31 inches from the back of the front seat to the front of the rear seat.

The car is a project car, not a jump in it and drive away.  I think with the right paint job and some minor custom touches it would be a nice car.  If you are interested in any more details, why don't you e-mail me with your e-mail address.

c ya, Sum

Leon

Check your inbox, I sent you a PM with Jerry's number.

OldSub

There is a '53-6 Ford Panel I've seen at a couple of local shows that I've often admired.  Its setup with a very simple ramp at the back that allows the driver to wheel in from the rear.

It has front drive Cadillac in front, and a very low flat floor all the way to the back.  Looks a lot easier to operate than the vans I've seen others use.

Unfortunately I can't find any pictures of it, but for a Ford its beautiful.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

GPster

Don't let this get on page two, it might be forgotten. What have you found out and how are you going to do it. This group can be very helpful. Somewhere there's a guy driving around in a Model "A" with a Mercury in-board boat motor in it. GPster

47convert

Friend of mine from high school was involved in a terrible accident and must now use a chair. Jim Baillie Customs built him a 37 Lincln Zepher that has linear actuators to open the side doors and swing the chair lift out. He made the deal front wheel drive with a flat floor on the driver's side and welded the center (B) post to the back door so it swings out with the door. I know you don't want to go this far but the door post deal is an idea if you need a bit more room. Most people think this zepher is a restored car until he starts opening it up. The hood opens with actuators too.