T5 to LS1

Started by 41trokita, February 02, 2007, 09:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41trokita

I have a T5 from a S10 and a 5.3 LS1 that I am going to install in my 41 Chev. p/u.  My question is what sbc bellhousing do I need to find? The S10 housing will only hold a 8 1/4 clutch. I heard that a housing from a 4.3 Astro van will work. I don't have a clue.
I also plan on using a hyd throwout bearing but don't know what size master cylinder to use.

jaybee

Good question, I'm interested in the same engine/trans combination.  If you ask on an LS1 site they'll usually tell you the T5 is junk, just get a T56.  Good solution, but with aggressive shopping you can get a low mileage 5.3 with electronics for less than the cost of a good, used T56.  The T5 is rated at close to the torque of a 5.3 and people were beating the snot out of them before T56s became common, so it seems like a good match.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Since the bolt pattern is the same as most other GM transmissions, you should be able to use most of them as long as they clear the clutch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

I think there's a difference in input shaft length, too.  There's an "adapter" pilot bearing that's used in some situations, but I'm unsure of the details.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

41trokita

Thanks for the reply.  I have been doing alot of reading, and feel that the T5 will work fine behind a stock 5.3. My truck will be light and no racing and towing.
I found that a 85 Astro 4.3 uses a 11 inch disc with a 1X14 hub and any 11 inch diaphram clutch should work. I will need to trim the pilot shaft and shorten the sleeve that the throwout bearing uses and stock chevy slave cylinder and arm will work.  The 1960 Chevy p/u used a slave cylinder that mounted on the right side of the bellhousing, out of the way of steering.

Phat

Just a little better way to do it is get a T-5 out of a camaro.  Now if you need the shifter in the position that s-10 does just use the back half off the s-10 on the camaro trans.  Its a bit beefer trans the camaro.  I have a s-10 box behind a 235 for about 17 years and it works great.  You are correct you need to cut the pilot and the throw out sleve. Just coppy a input shaft and bearing retainer from any 3 speed or 4 speed box  But you also may have to cut about 3/16 or 1/4 inch off the trans side of the disc if you use the s-10 box...camaro uses the stock spline s-10 fine spline(21 maybe) . Now if you want to use a 10 inch clutch use a stock presure plate.  Now you have to use the disc out of a 80s 4 cyl jeep its 9 15/16 but works fine.  Check the speedo also some are mech some are electric.  You can put a gear on the rear shaft if it electric.  Good swap done a lot of them. S-10 box wont take much more than 200 hp
Old racers go in deep and come out hard