Gas Shocks

Started by oldmanolds, January 29, 2007, 02:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanolds

Do any of you gear heads know who sells small diameter gas shocks? I need  a pair to hold up my deck lid.I've been all over town with the local parts people, and nobody comes close.Thinking maybe marine or camper parts supply.What I thought was going to be an easy fix has turned into a *' scavenger hunt.  oldmanolds
GETTING OLD SUCKS..BUT IT SURE BEATS THE ATERNATIVE.     www.stophd.org

enjenjo

In their parts and accessory Catalog, NAPA has tool box lid struts. They carry two different lengths, and several weight ranges. They also have the studs for mounting the struts.  Depending on the deck lid, and strut mounting, 30 to 40 lb seem to be about right. Once you have the mounting figured out, use a fish scale to hold the deck lid open, and see how much weight there is on the scale. Divide the weight in half, that would be the strut you need. If the srut weight comes out say 35 lbs, use a 30 and a 40. And go up if its an odd number,
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

I would recommend that if you measured 35 pounds, I'd use 40 on each side.  Reason being is if a wind is trying to blow the lid down, the extra will help hold it up, plus I've had a few gas shocks that seem to "loose" some capacity with age, cold, etc.  The little extra capacity is not going to be a problem.

enjenjo

There is value in your tip Leon. It kind of depends on the deck lid, how heavy it is. It is suprising how much difference 10 lbs of force makes on a light deck lid.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

That's very true.  The last lid I did was the hatch on my teardrop and because of its weight, the softer springs I got for it were enough to hold it open under most conditions but was subject to being blown down.  I had to go one step heavier because of it andf it has worked great since, but because of the size I also don't have to worry about a heavier spring bending the hatch.  I also had to put heavier units on the lid for my pickup because it doesn't want to stay up as well in cold weather, but again, that is a heavy item.

Ed ke6bnl

camping world, had a large supply of length and pressure, might check them out.  they do mail order. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Fuzzy

My Dad lives in Illinois,and I saw a large selection at Blaine's Farm & Fleet,if there is one near you.

Fuzz
No billet for this kid!