How to understand Engine Identification Numbers

Started by earl35chev, January 28, 2007, 11:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl35chev

I went to the library and found engine identification number for Chev engine, however there is no explaination for the last three items other than, "type code".  My engine's last three items are WKA.  Does anyone know how to read this and what does it mean?  Thanks for your help.  I know the first "0" is the source code, second "00" is the month produced, the third "00" is the day produced, the real question is the fourth group "000" type code.  Thanks again. Earl

msuguydon

Hey Earl:

May I suggest a couple of websites for you to take a look at.

First Try this site,
http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php

If the WKA is a suffix and you have a small block this is what I could come up with

RPO  FY     CID       appl      VIN     HP     BBLS      Body/Comments
WK 1969   350    tur hydro     -      255      4                C-10 to 35

The other site I would check is www.mortec.com
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

msuguydon

I think I may cofuse the issue but I also found this..  

Land Yacht

WKA sounds like the suffix code. If it is a small block V8 It should tell what the engine was installed in. I might have it listed...will check.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

Land Yacht

Quote from: "Land Yacht"WKA sounds like the suffix code. If it is a small block V8 It should tell what the engine was installed in. I might have it listed...will check.

The man with the bad '58 beat me but I get a different result

WKA 1994 Impala 265 cu in 200HP SFI,  RPO L-99 TH700r4 transmission

accuracy of suffix codes can be dicey, depends on the source of the listing you use
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

msuguydon

Quote from: "Land Yacht"
Quote from: "Land Yacht"WKA sounds like the suffix code. If it is a small block V8 It should tell what the engine was installed in. I might have it listed...will check.

DID YOU READ THAT, man with the "Bad 58", you are the first person to EVER say anything like that about me car, everyone else comes up to me and says... "WOW, what a neat car, my (INSERT FAMILY MEMBER DESCRIPTION HERE) had a car just like that"

No kidding, first time.... I LOVE YOU MAN!  :b-d: Come on down we can take the big BOAT for a KRUZ!

enjenjo

You can cross reference with the block casting number. on the right of the bell housing flange, behind the left head.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

earl35chev

Hey, guys thanks for your help.  I have not seen the suffix code broken down in two parts before.  The engine is somewhere in the 94-95 year range.  It is a multi-port fuel injector engine.  I also saw the WK for the '69 year but I don't believe the multi-ports were back there.  Will keep looking and will check the casting numbers.  Earl

earl35chev

I went to a dealership and they were able to tell me what the WKA (suffix code) means.  It is a 4.3 vinW from a 1994 Caprice.  The vinW stands for a multiport engine if it was a vinZ it would be a throtal body engine.  Earl

Dave

Quote from: "msuguydon"
Quote from: "Land Yacht"

DID YOU READ THAT, man with the "Bad 58", you are the first person to EVER say anything like that about me car, everyone else comes up to me and says... "WOW, what a neat car, my (INSERT FAMILY MEMBER DESCRIPTION HERE) had a car just like that"

No kidding, first time.... I LOVE YOU MAN!  :b-d: Come on down we can take the big BOAT for a KRUZ!

Holy Bjesus......... Man you hit a nerve there .. I called it a tuna barge then you come in and call it a bad 58.. WTF... Ha Ha Ha.. Now he wants to marry you too. :?:
Actually I was waiting till the bbq build or rebuild and see if he showed up or maybe autorama and tell him what a nice looking car he has but now. it just aint gonna matter cause its now known as the bad 58.
I loose more friends cause of people like you that just have to suck up :!:
Hell with it im going to the kitchen for more gin.. My feelings are hurt.. He loves you and could care less about me....
Dave :(  :(  :(

msuguydon

Dave, BAD 58 just does not work for ME !!

ARRRG but TUNA BOAT DOES !!!

Dave

Dusty

AWWW come on Guys....Don't you know the difference between a Tuna Boat and a Shrimp boat????

That's a shrimp boat with a cull board full of shrimp...Not Tuna....

And it looks like he's holding up 35-40 count shrimp....Just right for Gumbo!!!!!

Now....How much Rice do we need to cook......
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

msuguydon

Quote from: "Dusty"AWWW come on Guys....Don't you know the difference between a Tuna Boat and a Shrimp boat????

That's a shrimp boat with a cull board full of shrimp...Not Tuna....

And it looks like he's holding up 35-40 count shrimp....Just right for Gumbo!!!!!

Now....How much Rice do we need to cook......

msuguydon