Alloy Cleaner

Started by Dusty, April 24, 2004, 11:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

I have some alloy wheels (Centerline) that were on the Roadster I bought back in Nov of last year.  The car had been sitting in a barn for about 5 years.  I am cleaning the wheels now and other than a power buffer or lots of Elbow Grease, the job is really tough.  Is there any product you can spray on the wheels to give you a head start before you go to the paste type cleaner/polish.  The wheels aren't pitted, just discolored.

Thanks, Dusty
Orange, Texas
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Coleman396

Are they clear coated? If they are you will have to remove all the clear with a aircraft type paint stripper.
Hopefully they are not. Thats a really ugly job! However I did a set of centerlines a while back. They were not clear coated but the finish was pretty bad on them. I found that a quick wet sanding with some 600 grit and then a buffing with a flapper pad in the old electric drill made them look just great.
I found a metal polish called "Five Star" manufactured by a company called ZEP. It contains jewelers rouge and wow does it work!
A good place to look for buffing accesories is at a big truck dealer like Kenworth or Western Star dealers. They have a lot of polished aluminum to look after so chances are you can find what you need there.
Good luck with that project.
                                                                John.

Rayvyn

Go down to your local welding supply store and pick up a quart of "Arcaid".
It's an aluminum cleaner for welding. It'll remove a lot of that old crap. Just apply it with a paint brush, swish it around a bit, and hose it off. I had Centerline magnesium wheels on my track-T, and it cleaned them right up.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Dusty

Thanks for the tips on cleaning the Alloy wheels.  They don't have a clear coat on them, and I think that the product you mentioned Rayvyn, is just what I'm looking for.  The Roadster is a '27 Pro-Street, Harwood body, and if I could figure how to resize the Pics, I'd post them on here.  But so far I haven't had much luck.  I'm going to the Welding supply store tomorrow and try some of the Arcaid you mentioned...Thanks John and Rayvyn for the tips...

Dusty
Orange, Texas
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE