700R4 vibration

Started by Fuzzy, January 18, 2007, 06:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy

Is it common in a 700R4 for the extension housing bushing to go bad.I have enough play in the driveshaft yoke into the tranny to take out a new seal almost immediately,and this is where I think my vibration is coming from.U-joints are good.It's my daily driver,91 GMC pick-up.

Thanks.

Fuzz
No billet for this kid!

Dave

Quote from: "Fuzzy"Is it common in a 700R4 for the extension housing bushing to go bad.I have enough play in the driveshaft yoke into the tranny to take out a new seal almost immediately,and this is where I think my vibration is coming from.U-joints are good.It's my daily driver,91 GMC pick-up.

Thanks.

Fuzz

I dunno much bout the 700 r but we have an expert on here .. I assume you changed the bushing? They all have some movement that ive seen so possibly you have a driveshaft balance problem?
Dav

Fuzzy

Haven't tore into it yet.The truck had a composite drive shaft that started cracking and really looked bad.I replaced it with an aluminum shaft from a 95.Had the vibration with both shafts.
No billet for this kid!

Crosley.In.AZ

replacing the seal only is often a waste of time.

Check the yoke for wear and replace the bushing and seal.

Use a babbitt type bushing.  I do not like the teflon coated bushings.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fuzzy

Thanks guys.I thought the bushing was suspect but wasn't sure.Is the bushing stristly R&R or does it have to be sized.The yoke is ok,no groove.
Fuzz
No billet for this kid!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Fuzzy"Thanks guys.I thought the bushing was suspect but wasn't sure.Is the bushing stristly R&R or does it have to be sized.The yoke is ok,no groove.
Fuzz

remove the tail housing....

the bushing simply presses out & in.  Proper tools are a plus here to avoid damage.

There is a Square cut O-ring for sealing on the tail housing to main tranny  case
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fuzzy

Thanks,I appreciate the info.

Fuzz :b-d:
No billet for this kid!

Carps

All the GM vehicles using that trans here have what I'd consider a nasty driveline vibration.

Ask the dealer service folks and they'll tell you, "it's characteristic of the transmission, they all do it."

I'd imagine there'd be some means to fix it, but either difficult or expensive and since it won't kill the car they don't bother, instead telling owners to live with it.  In the new models with the latest GM trans, the vibration is gone.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.