Roadster Tech.

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, January 14, 2007, 10:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Thought I'd share what I have done so far with the dash in the '32. I bought a rather rusty '32 p/u dash and cut the instrument ring with the stainless trim piece out of it. I made a pattern of it and cut a hole in the new flat dash and then welded the 2 together. I also tryed the vinegar derusting solution. Works pretty good especially on "fragile" (read that as thin) parts.

I then made a cardboard pattern for an aluminum gauge panel with mounting ears, cut out the panel and the instrument holes clamped it to the backside of the dash and welded on some 10-32 studs to screw it all together.

Unfortunately I still haven't got the hang of stopping and documenting all of the processes.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

slocrow

That came out pretty nice Charlie. What did you use to cut such a nice oval?
Perfect selection of gauges. Speed, pressure & temp. What else do ya need..............Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "slocrow"That came out pretty nice Charlie. What did you use to cut such a nice oval?
Perfect selection of gauges. Speed, pressure & temp. What else do ya need..............Frank

IThanks,  used a 3" cut-off disc in a die grinder, easy along the top and bottom, but a little touchy on the ends. The piece out of the p/u dash was cut a little big and then trimmed up on the belt sander. The oval in the roadster dash was cut small and then filed to a loose gap fit so that the welding process doesn't kink the piece. It went pretty well.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Flipper

Nice choice, it has a very elegant shape to it.

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Awesome job Charlie! Are you going to run a fuel gauge in another location?
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks guys. Yes I will have a 2 gauge panel for fuel and volts and the tach in a cup on the column. I know I could have fit the other 2 gauges in the oval panel but I've never liked that as well as the original look.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Uncle Bob

Nicely done!
I like it!
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

wchappo

Hi charlie, in my roadster all i've got is the tacho,oil pressure & temp gauges, she'll do about 250 miles to the tank,anyway i dont need a fuel gauge,as i've got the perfect reminder,cuts in around the 120 mile range(bad back)as a back up(no pun intended), if it coughs once you've got 5 miles left ,twice2 miles 3 rd cough oops! your walking to the next gas station :roll: anyway if i get pulled over for speeding(which i never do honest officer) & the nice policeman says do you know what speed you were doing i can honestly say no cause i haven't got a speedo :wink:any way when Swmbo is in the car i can't speed cause i end up with bruising to my left leg(we sit on the right side ya! know :P ) from all the hits telling me to slow down,it appears she's worked out the revsfor70 mph, tried to explain that its got a stall in it (bet the sons told her, wouldn't be my little 37yr old girl nah! she wouldn't do that to me not much she wouldn't :roll: ),so new :idea: i've taken to wearing padded foot ball shorts,cuts down on the bruising  :wink:  :twisted: copulater Wayne

Roadstar