ok... i am an idiot

Started by wvcab, April 23, 2004, 01:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvcab

started cleaning up the fire truck, she started and ran so good... so i decided to start cleaning under the cab and the frame on the drivers side, so using the pressure washer, i sprayed and blew off years of accummulated grease and dirt, and oh how it looks so clean and petty ( The frame is acutally gloss red and looks good), but now the batterys dont seem to charge.... the batterys are located on the passnger side about 6' behind the cab. the altenator, and starter are located on the passenger side, and i did not get hem wet. hooked jump box directly to the battery, and nothing but clicks from starter, hooked jump box directly to starter, and the truck starts right up. ammeter shows 30 amp charge rate at idle (90 amp altenator) i let it run for about an hour, still charging, shut it off, and went to restart it. nothing but clicks.

Ideas of what i have done, or where to start trouble shooting?

Robert

SKR8PN

Did you check the condition of the battery/battery's????
If they load test OK,then I would be checking ALL the battery cable connections..........
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

wvcab

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Did you check the condition of the battery/battery's????
If they load test OK,then I would be checking ALL the battery cable connections..........

i haven't checked them yet, i have had a "trickle charger" ( the one on th truck) plugged in since i got it home. the wiring is a jumble of wires, right above the batteries ( it has 2 commercial type batteries) is 7 selenoids, and 2 selenoids on the passenger side, i have found so far...

robert

58 Yeoman

Have you checked the starter solenoid?  Ford's were good for going bad.  One way to check is to short a screwdriver from the battery terminal to the next small terminal; if it starts that way, the solenoid's bad.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

wvcab

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Have you checked the starter solenoid?  Ford's were good for going bad.  One way to check is to short a screwdriver from the battery terminal to the next small terminal; if it starts that way, the solenoid's bad.
so far i have found a black/white corrosion around the batterry terminals, will check the selenoid... thank you

wvcab

pulled the batteries out, and cleaned the terminals, and she fired right up. :lol:

GPster

Checked your profile to see what that WV stood for but it didn't tell where you were from. If the WV might stand for West Virginia there is anothre one of those in what used to be a used car lot in Williamstown, W Wa. Your's appears to be a ladder truck. The ones that were Pumpers had a 750 Gal. or a 1000 Gal. water tank on them. If you could fill it up with that $2.00 a gallon gasoline you could probably drive it a week between fill-ups. GPster