BFGoodrich

Started by Mr348, January 14, 2007, 12:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr348

Well after an almost tireless search and endless backorders I have found out that BFGoodrich is no longer making the venerable 285/70-15 radial T/A. I have been trying to get a pair of these for 3 months and Summit finally said that BFGoodrich wasn't planning on making them again. So there goes another perfect highboy rear tire. First the Sport Truck T/A and now the 285's. I hate the fact that we are going to be forced to use 16" and bigger rims. Anyway I will get off my soapbox now. Have a great weekend all!

enjenjo

Cooper still makes one. I just bought a pair for the pickup I am building. 285 75 R15
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Blame it on the French. :lol:

Last I know, Michelin owned BFG/Uniroyal.  I worked for BFG for almost 20 years before they decided to get out of the plastics business (pvc).  It wasn't long after that they got out of the rubber/chemical business also.  Went to all space/aeronautics stuff like brakes and wheels for the space shuttle type stuff, and de-icing systems for planes, etc.

I was able to buy the 31" radial TA's for my K1500 Chevy for $65 plus $5 shipping by UPS.  The plant that I work at was a pvc plant on one side of the compound, and rubber chemicals on the other side.  We split in the early 90's, we becoming the Geon co., and later Polyone.  The workers on the rubber side laughed at us, because we could no longer get the BFG tires at a low cost.  Wasn't but a few months later, neither could they. :lol:

The other side has been sold a number of times, while we only merged once (we bought someone much larger).

Okay...enough history for today.  We now return to our regularly scheduled program....
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

This sucks cause thats what im runnin on the coupe and i want some for the roadster.
Guess ill have to find a cooper dealer.
Dave

ps:  a 31x1050 will work too and (i shouldnt give out this good info) but if you really need a set coker says they still have em

Gilles

The Michelin tires I have on my bicycle are made in Thailand.  :shock:  

But the Firestone tires I have on the front of the 32 roadster are made in France! :shock:

I remember a television report on a Michelin factory in the USA, South Carolina if I remember correctly. They explained that the cost of labor was lower in the States because of a  45 hours  week instead of 35 hours in France and 2 weeks of paid vacation instead of 5 in France.

But in my town, Grenoble, bulldozers are made  in a Caterpillar factory, and Syringes in a Beckton-* factory. Hewlet-Packard is here too.

Sometimes I really can't understand the world economy, or maybe the grass always longer in the neighbor field? :D

Gilles :D

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Gilles"The Michelin tires I have on my bicycle are made in Thailand.  :shock:  

But the Firestone tires I have on the front of the 32 roadster are made in France! :shock:

I remember a television report on a Michelin factory in the USA, South Carolina if I remember correctly. They explained that the cost of labor was lower in the States because of a  45 hours  week instead of 35 hours in France and 2 weeks of paid vacation instead of 5 in France.

But in my town, Grenoble, bulldozers are made  in a Caterpillar factory, and Syringes in a Beckton-* factory. Hewlet-Packard is here too.

Sometimes I really can't understand the world economy, or maybe the grass always longer in the neighbor field? :D

Gilles :D

I know the feeling.  Back in the early 90's, my Chevy truck was built in Canada, and my VW Rabbit was built in Pennsylvania. :lol:

Phil

GPster

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Blame it on the French. :lol: Last I know, Michelin owned BFG/Uniroyal.  I worked for BFG for almost 20 years before they decided to get out of the plastics business (pvc).  It wasn't long after that they got out of the rubber/chemical business also.  Went to all space/aeronautics stuff like brakes and wheels for the space shuttle type stuff, and de-icing systems for planes, etc.I was able to buy the 31" radial TA's for my K1500 Chevy for $65 plus $5 shipping by UPS.  The plant that I work at was a pvc plant on one side of the compound, and rubber chemicals on the other side.  We split in the early 90's, we becoming the Geon co., and later Polyone.  The workers on the rubber side laughed at us, because we could no longer get the BFG tires at a low cost.  Wasn't but a few months later, neither could they. :lol: The other side has been sold a number of times, while we only merged once (we bought someone much larger).Okay...enough history for today.  We now return to our regularly scheduled program....
Who owns the BLIMP?   GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

My Honda Goldwing is assembled in Ohio.

that said.......

at least the union workers strike at the tire plants has been mostly settled
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mr348

Unfortunatly for me I am having the body and chassis built out of state and the builder needed the wheels and tires ASAP so I have 195/60-15 BFG's on the front 29 x 12.5 Hoosier Pro STreet Radials on the back. Mismatch I know but at least I will have some height on the rear tire. I will look into coopers later on. As far as Coker goes I called them and they said they didn't have any  of the 285's so it must be what sales dude you talk to. Oh well, just wanted to get the word out.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Blame it on the French. :lol: Last I know, Michelin owned BFG/Uniroyal.  I worked for BFG for almost 20 years before they decided to get out of the plastics business (pvc).  It wasn't long after that they got out of the rubber/chemical business also.  Went to all space/aeronautics stuff like brakes and wheels for the space shuttle type stuff, and de-icing systems for planes, etc.I was able to buy the 31" radial TA's for my K1500 Chevy for $65 plus $5 shipping by UPS.  The plant that I work at was a pvc plant on one side of the compound, and rubber chemicals on the other side.  We split in the early 90's, we becoming the Geon co., and later Polyone.  The workers on the rubber side laughed at us, because we could no longer get the BFG tires at a low cost.  Wasn't but a few months later, neither could they. :lol: The other side has been sold a number of times, while we only merged once (we bought someone much larger).Okay...enough history for today.  We now return to our regularly scheduled program....
Who owns the BLIMP?   GPster

Goodyear.  As a matter of fact, when BFG was advertising on tv, they would mention the Goodrich blimp, and people would look up in the sky.  Goodrich got to be known as the 'other guys.'  At work, we started the 'Other Guys Recreation Assoc.', or OGRA.  Our assoc. died, but we still have the large OGRA morton building that is used for parties, etc.

Phil