hey oiler!!

Started by river1, January 11, 2007, 10:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

i have a 04 silverado that has a problem. my speedo will show me doing 40 when i'm standing still. when i'm doing about 70/75 it'll show 120 :shock:   my odometer seems to be accurate with the mile markers. there seems to be alot of GM truck owners out there on the net that also have this prob. are there any TSBs out for this? hidden recalls?

thanks in advance and i'll owe you a beer also

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

river1

Crosley.In.AZ

jim,

get an answer yet?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

On big trucks when they do that, the VSS is contaminated with metal shavings. we would clean it, and reinstall, that usually cured it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"jim,

get an answer yet?

8)

not yet

Quote from: "enjenjo"On big trucks when they do that, the VSS is contaminated with metal shavings. we would clean it, and reinstall, that usually cured it.

what is the VSS?  

Vehicle Speed Sensor?

on the tranny? or the gauge panel?

the others with the problem (on the web) have had their gauge panel replaced, some more then once, at the dealer expense and some have had to pay $500 to $600  :shock:  :shock: so the dealer can recalibrate the electronic odometer/hour meter. i'm hoping to avoid the 600 sticker shock.

thanks jim

enjenjo

Vehicle Speed Sensor, on the tranny. If that is the problem, you need to service the trans or it will happen again.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

IF the odo and trip meter are ok, i'd say you have a speedo head problem.
i didn't find any tsb's on it though (alldata)
there still may be some though, alldata sometimes ain't the gospel....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

the VSS on jim's truck is not much of a problem as on say a ford .

if it is cloged up and giving false readings there may be a tranny problem.

jim...... does any of the other gauges act stoopid?  gas gauge waaay off as an eggzample

:?
Tony

tomslik

i think they're supposed to read empty when they're full;)
thanks GM........
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"i think they're supposed to read empty when they're full;)
thanks GM........

hmmm, interesting.

All of my GM products have read fairly close on the fuel guage.
Tony

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"
jim...... does any of the other gauges act stoopid?  gas gauge waaay off as an eggzample

:?

all the other gauges act fine. a little more searching online found some guys who will fix it cheaper. also found some guys who fix their own by replacing the stepper motor that goes to the speedo. that is the way i'll prolly go when i can't stand the problem any longer, right now the prob comes and goes, and i generally don't pay that much attention to the speedo anyway.

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"i think they're supposed to read empty when they're full;)
thanks GM........

hmmm, interesting.

All of my GM products have read fairly close on the fuel guage.

mine too :lol:

later jim

oiler

Hey Jim I just got back from the sunny side of Mexico.
It is the stepper motor that fails,
from what I've been told it's a bushing in the motor gets dry and sticks to the shaft
probly a chinese part made with chinese parts.
Up here we send the cluster in and get a replacment one, about a 600$ cost.
If it's an 04 I assume that you're over the 60K on mileage for warranty purposes?
There is a special policy here in Canada on them so I'd assume the US is the same and I'll get you the info. tomorrow at work.
I'll e-mail you tomorrow night with all the info.
meanwhile I have to dry out before work tomorrow.
Jeff

river1

bringing back an old one with an update

jeff thru email told me what to say to the dealer to get it fix at dealer expense. dealer somewhat surprised by my knowing what to say but they fixed it (back in jan) for free.

well this week (last week of dec) i get a recall letter, seems they finally realized they had a common problem and will fix it for free or refund $ if you paid to get it fixed :D  :D

thanks again jeff/oiler

later jim

oiler

Quote from: "river1"bringing back an old one with an update

jeff thru email told me what to say to the dealer to get it fix at dealer expense. dealer somewhat surprised by my knowing what to say but they fixed it (back in jan) for free.

well this week (last week of dec) i get a recall letter, seems they finally realized they had a common problem and will fix it for free or refund $ if you paid to get it fixed :D  :D

thanks again jeff/oiler

later jim

you owe me a margarita :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

A friends  son with a 2003 truck received the warranty notice of extended cluster repair to 70k miles.... he was at  71k miles  plus a few on the truck

The good thing is  my friend's son had the receipt of an estamite of repair in the area of 850 dollars (US) from 1 year ago at the same dealer that just now repaired it under the warranty program.
Tony