engine opinions

Started by kb426, January 11, 2007, 07:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I'm asking for opinions. What is the best choice for the following parameters: Light weight, compact, horsepower, gas mileage, reasonable purchase cost, adequate info for mods, has to be able to have a manual trans.
TEAM SMART

1FATGMC

Quote from: "kb426"I'm asking for opinions. What is the best choice for the following parameters: Light weight, compact, horsepower, gas mileage, reasonable purchase cost, adequate info for mods, has to be able to have a manual trans.

Well it is a belly button motor, but I don't think you can beat a sbc.  Setup right with an overdrive and fuel injection you could pull down 25 mpg and have some decent HP.  Look at what a factory 'vette gets for mileage and performance.  

I have had chevy 6's and haven't ever gotten the mileage I do with my V-8.  Granted if you put an import 4 or american 4 you might get 30 mpg, but the difference between say 23 and 30 is about 23% better mileage, but I don't think it would be worth it for the HP trade off.  If you want max. mileage get a small car.

I'd either look at the '96-99 vortec's or the 99 up LS-1's, but aftermarket stuff is still expensive for those.  What you want is one that is setup for a factory roller cam.  That is part of the HP/mileage equation.

c ya,

Sum

phat rat

what will it be in?  something light maybe a V-6, something heavier hard to beat a sbc for your stated parameters
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

kb426

I'm planning on no more than 2400 lbs. I understand the small block part. After the standard 350 with the one piece rear seal, what changes and what do I need to look for?
TEAM SMART

Carnut

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "kb426"I'm asking for opinions. What is the best choice for the following parameters: Light weight, compact, horsepower, gas mileage, reasonable purchase cost, adequate info for mods, has to be able to have a manual trans.

Well it is a belly button motor, but I don't think you can beat a sbc.  Setup right with an overdrive and fuel injection you could pull down 25 mpg and have some decent HP.  Look at what a factory 'vette gets for mileage and performance.  

I have had chevy 6's and haven't ever gotten the mileage I do with my V-8.  Granted if you put an import 4 or american 4 you might get 30 mpg, but the difference between say 23 and 30 is about 23% better mileage, but I don't think it would be worth it for the HP trade off.  If you want max. mileage get a small car.

I'd either look at the '96-99 vortec's or the 99 up LS-1's, but aftermarket stuff is still expensive for those.  What you want is one that is setup for a factory roller cam.  That is part of the HP/mileage equation.

c ya,

Sum

Obviously I agree, but not real sure I'd call them 'bellybutton's.

Heck there seems to be so many factory versions around anymore I can hardly tell them apart.

Seems to me the great change was the valve cover hole arrangement.

Then the oil inlet in intake versus valve cover inlet.

Then the four hole down the center valve cover versions with associated internal changes and various and sundry intake systems.

Course youngsters might consider all the various carbuetor versions as somewhat daunting to figure out I guess.

Along the way came the side mount engine mounts, block mounted starters and spin on oil filters.

But then again, in my sig there's only one SBC and two BBM's.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "kb426"I'm planning on no more than 2400 lbs. I understand the small block part. After the standard 350 with the one piece rear seal, what changes and what do I need to look for?

Mild roller cam, hedders, decent intake manifold, the stock vortec heads, and if you are happy with 20 mpg a rebuilt q-jet carb or if you are going  towards 25 mpg, fuel injection.  You could get a complete donner motor out of a 90's truck and it could be one that is other than the 350 and get a wiring harness from painless, or someone, and use the stock computer and have a good motor.

c ya,

Sum

Carnut

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "kb426"I'm planning on no more than 2400 lbs. I understand the small block part. After the standard 350 with the one piece rear seal, what changes and what do I need to look for?

Mild roller cam, hedders, decent intake manifold, the stock vortec heads, and if you are happy with 20 mpg a rebuilt q-jet carb or if you are going  towards 25 mpg, fuel injection.  You could get a complete donner motor out of a 90's truck and it could be one that is other than the 350 and get a wiring harness from painless, or someone, and use the stock computer and have a good motor.

c ya,

Sum

Humm, if GM can stuff an SBC in a Monza, I'd think they'd be good enough for just about anything.

kb426

If I go chevy, I want some form of FI. I have a long history with hemi's. Unless I find a 5.7 with all the electric accys. it's out of the price range. I sold all the 392 and 426 stuff a year ago because it became more valuable to someone besides me. Is any of the Ford modular engines anything to get excitied about?
TEAM SMART

Carnut

Quote from: "kb426"If I go chevy, I want some form of FI. I have a long history with hemi's. Unless I find a 5.7 with all the electric accys. it's out of the price range. I sold all the 392 and 426 stuff a year ago because it became more valuable to someone besides me. Is any of the Ford modular engines anything to get excitied about?

A Ford Modular?

donsrods

As much as I hate to admit it (I'm pretty much a Ford and Olds guy) the SBC fits all of your requirements to a T.  They have made 10 zillion of them so they are cheap, the aftermarket makes every part for them, (also cheap) and Chevy was smart enough to not reinvent the engine since '55, and bellhousings and most other stuff has remained consistently the same.

But, regardless of all of that, I get tired of seeing them in rods.  The only reason I am putting one in my current T is that I got it free.  When somebody asks what engine I am using, I very sheepishly say SBC.  Not knocking them, but they have been done to death, IMO.

SBF would be my second choice for your question, except for the cheap part. You can build 2 Chevies for the price of one SBF.

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

5.3 chevy... plenty of power and fuel mileage with a manual trans.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

blksheep

Sounds like your lookin for the GM RamJet 350 crate motor. 350hp, 400 ft.lbs. of torque, multi-port fuel injected. Cost..$5000.00, but comes complete with the computer, wiring harness and manual trans flywheel. Also, roller cam, roller 1.6 rockers, Vortec heads, 6 quart pan, chrome valve covers, distributor, plug wires, coil, long water pump and a 2 year warranty. Mine was in a 3300lb. '57 Chevy ht., with a 700R4, 3:50 gear and I got 21 MPG on the hwy.
You will need an electric fuel pump (preferably in the tank), 3/8 feed, 5/16 return fuel line and an inline filter ('88 Chev Celebrity V6). Once installed, add fuel and spark and your done. Additional engine mods are not needed or available (except your headers) so you will save there.
I will do this combo again.

blksheep... 8) directly injected...in Charlotte

1FATGMC

Quote from: "blksheep"Sounds like your lookin for the GM RamJet 350 crate motor. 350hp, 400 ft.lbs. of torque, multi-port fuel injected. Cost..$5000.00, but comes complete with the computer, wiring harness and manual trans flywheel. Also, roller cam, roller 1.6 rockers, Vortec heads, 6 quart pan, chrome valve covers, distributor, plug wires, coil, long water pump and a 2 year warranty. Mine was in a 3300lb. '57 Chevy ht., with a 700R4, 3:50 gear and I got 21 MPG on the hwy.
You will need an electric fuel pump (preferably in the tank), 3/8 feed, 5/16 return fuel line and an inline filter ('88 Chev Celebrity V6). Once installed, add fuel and spark and your done. Additional engine mods are not needed or available (except your headers) so you will save there.
I will do this combo again.

blksheep... 8) directly injected...in Charlotte

I have a friend that got one of the early 383's from GM and put it in his '34 Ford.  Later when the 350 ram-jet came out he bought the ram-jet stuff and put it on the 383.  He runs a 700R4, big rear tire, don't know his rear gear, but he gets over 25 mpg all the time running with us at 75 to 85 going from New Mexico to Pueblo for the NSRA show there and that car is no slouch.  It is a nice combination.  You could do something cheaper, but if you wanted to buy a turn key combination with a warranty like you mentioned it is hard to beat.

c ya,

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"5.3 chevy... plenty of power and fuel mileage with a manual trans.

i want one soooo bad to play with....not the one in my truck;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

48builder

I was looking for the same type of things in an engine for my '48. Another consideration for me was ease of getting a problem fixed, since I want my wife to be able to drive this car and if any problems arise go to any compentent garage. That's one of the reasons I went with the LT1. Friends with the engine in their GM cars tell me they can get close to 30 MPG on the highway, and when using the 4L60E tranny will put you back in the seat when you wnat it too. That was a requirement from my wife. She likes to be able to go fast when required. LT1's are getting pretty common in the yards and swap sheets now too. I have had two friends buy donor cars for under a grand. Then you can use the entire factory stuff if you want. That's what I am doing from my Z29 donor. If it works in my '48 I may consider using a similar setup in the '39 when I redo it.

Good luck!
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver