Is the Boss Hog really boss?

Started by Godzilla, January 10, 2007, 07:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godzilla

I bought a "Boss Hog" converter a while back (just a 2200 stall) and have not installed it.  Now I have decided to go with a 3800-4200 stall converter and I see that "Boss Hog" make one of those as well.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the "Boss Hog" brand of converter?  I will be running it in my antique gas dragster and would really like to keep my feet and legs attached and usable.  Thanks for your feedback in advance.................Ron.
The way it was is the way it should be

entodad

Quote from: "Godzilla"I bought a "Boss Hog" converter a while back (just a 2200 stall) and have not installed it.  Now I have decided to go with a 3800-4200 stall converter and I see that "Boss Hog" make one of those as well.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the "Boss Hog" brand of converter?  I will be running it in my antique gas dragster and would really like to keep my feet and legs attached and usable.  Thanks for your feedback in advance.................Ron.

I bought one (about 4500 stall) and was not very happy with it.  Now it may be that I got one with too much stall, but the car never felt like the converter hooked up....it just wound and wound and wound.  I have yet to take it to the quarter mile to see if it helped or hurt the car.  Probably won't any time soon either
Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

SKR8PN

It is usually not the convertor you have to worry about, blowing up and taking off legs and toes.............A steel drum or a planatary is usually what does that  8)
I have never heard of the "Boss Hog" convertors. I have an 8 inch Dynamic that I sent to PTC(Performance Torque Convertors) to be modified to work with a trans-brake and to adjust the stall. It is a 5000-5200 now :shock:

PTC does one heck of job building you a QUALITY custom convertor. They are cheaper and a LOT faster than most of the other companies.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Godzilla

Unitl I shopped on ebay for a converter I had never seen a "Boss Hog" converter either.  I usually run a TCI and they cost hundreds of dollars...but I never had to question the quality.

I paid less than a hundred for this converter, new, and that may be what worries me more than anything.  The old "nothing that's cheap is good thing."

I can't remember ever seeing a converter coming out of a car either...but my feet actually lay against the floor on either side of the converter in this car.  Makes me nervous.

After talking with my buddy...dragrcr50...I think I am going to run the 2200 stall converter and see if it will work out.  This is a new car and I have no idea how the entire drivetrain package will work.
The way it was is the way it should be

Crosley.In.AZ

as posted the converters usually do not explode into pieces.

the tranys will.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Godzilla"...but my feet actually lay against the floor on either side of the converter in this car.  Makes me nervous.

This is a new car and I have no idea how the entire drivetrain package will work.
Got any pics?  :D
George

JOECOOL

I have used them in bracket cars ,11 second stuff. They are made by Alabama Convertor. I did not have any problem with them and probably ran them 200 passes or so. One I know has been in the car for 5 years.
There are probably faster convertors out there, but the 5 or 600 hundred extra for them  may not be worth it.
Besides anyone who paints a convertor purple has got guts.