*** Update (w/ pics) 48 chevy pick 'em up truck

Started by Flipper, January 08, 2007, 12:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragrcr50

Quote from: "sirstude"Sum, your are in big trouble now, you never give a womans weight, just say she is a 'Little bitty thing'. :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Doug
As I remember his lovely wife is a little bitty thing in fact.........
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

35fordbob

I joined the roundtable a couple of years ago, but have been a lurker for quite some time. I thought that I would share with all of you my latest project. I finished it in late August, put about 150 miles on it, worked out a few bugs, and then winter set in. I have a few minor things to fix, and I will be ready for spring. I hope to have it at the NSRA Milwaukee Nats this summer. It has a mustang II front, 350/350, Nova rear, and so far seems to ride and handle well. The front bumper is 5" off the ground, and so far, no problems.

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "phat rat"nice looking ride

Add my vote to that.  Very nice :D ,

Sum

enjenjo

Looks good to me too. I'm glad you posted, now keep it up. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

Quote from: "35fordbob"I joined the roundtable a couple of years ago, but have been a lurker for quite some time. I thought that I would share with all of you my latest project. I finished it in late August, put about 150 miles on it, worked out a few bugs, and then winter set in. I have a few minor things to fix, and I will be ready for spring. I hope to have it at the NSRA Milwaukee Nats this summer. It has a mustang II front, 350/350, Nova rear, and so far seems to ride and handle well. The front bumper is 5" off the ground, and so far, no problems.

That is a really nice looking truck.

39deluxe

Great looking truck. I hope to see some more pictures of it.

Flipper

I guess its time for an update and the most recent pics.

I wasn't real happy with previous seating attempts, so I built the seat.

I used sheetmetal to form the seat back and seat bottom..

There is a steel subframe under the seat bottom to help carry my fat *.

The seat back and bottoms are contoured more like a modern seat and will be padded with a couple of inches of foam. (This is just the first layer.  Bottom layers are gonna be dense, top layers something more cushy)

Doing the seat like this gains a bunch of interior space over the stock set-up.  My seat back sheetmetal actually touches the back of the cab.  I will sit 3-4 inches lower and about 5-6 inches farther back.  

I padded the back with 2 inches of foam and the bottom with about six inches.  Then covered it all in black vinyl (no sewing)

Here is the finished seat.  Glad its vinyl.....rust dust comes from everywhere.

Here's my dad trying it out (while making motor noises)

Workin' on the flatbed now.

The front bumper is just mocked up for the pic.

alchevy

That's going to be one nice ride. I like the flatbed and the seat.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

GPster

Quote from: "Flipper"It is a S-10 frame swap.  I recycled the S-10 pedal assembly and master cylinder.  running brake lines will probably be a pain.
Too many years and not enough progress has led me to despiration. An S10 frame swap is being planned for the Jeepster. Any tips or warnings? I figuring on maybe using the S10 firewall, floor,pedals and column. I have to make a 104" wheelbase out of it but maybe I can just take it apart at the welds and slide it closer together. One of the things that bothered me about the suspension is that the springs were so long between the axel and the schackles. Because I'm adjusting the wheelbase anyway have any thought about changing the springs around end-for-end so that the long part is in the front so that the axel is closer to the shackles. I would think some leaf stacking/spring tuning would be in order but the load carrying ability would not be needed with the new body. Maybe you can do a tech article about the frame swap? you seem to be good with a camera. GPster

Dave

The seat is very interesting and nice job also. Its gonna look nice.
Dave

Flipper

Quote from: "jusjunk"The seat is very interesting and nice job also. Its gonna look nice.
Dave

I had a hellova time coming up with a comfortable seat that looked like it belonged in a rodded ratty farm truck.  The new seating position is pretty good.

Flipper

I put some more time in on it this weekend.  I got the gas tank mounted.

It is a 2005 S-10 blazer tank (plastic tank...no rust flakes to deal with).  It don't look like all that hard of a job, but it sure ate up the time.  The filler neck is hidden under the edge of the bed.

I also got the boards cut the go under the flatbed.  I didn't like being able to see through the truck (under the flatbed)

Choptop

Do not spoil what you have, by desiring what you
have not.
Remember, what you have now was once among
the things you only hoped for !

Flipper

Somebody wanted to see the headers off of the truck.  Here they are.