Motor finally started and test stand....

Started by 1FATGMC, January 02, 2007, 02:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

A few of you have been aware that I have been building a 383 sbc for what seems like forever :cry: .  Well I finally fired it yesterday and I'm a happy camper so far.  I ran it for 30 minutes to break the cam in and the oil pressure is good, the temp stayed between 185-190 and it sounded good especially with the straight pipes :D .

The motor has been almost done for a while, but I wanted to build a test stand to fire it on and something I can use in the future when I build a new motor for my pickup.  That took longer than expected.

If you want to see more pictures of the test stand they are ( HERE ).

The motor is a 383 small block with vortec heads and a mild Comp 256 cam, hedders by River1 (thanks Jim) and a q-jet with a 700R4 behind it.  I put the hedders on to cut and fit the plug wires, but used the stock exhaust to run it as I was set up for them.  According to my Dyno2000 program it should put out a peak 330 hp in the 4500-5000 range, but over 400 lb-ft torque from below 2000 to over 4000 rpm.  I want this to be a good pulling motor (pull the lakester to b'ville maybe  :lol: ) and get good fuel mileage.

It is going to replace the 390 in Julie's '72 Ford and hopefully get better gas mileage.  She was there for the break-in and was very happy to see it finally running.  I have here 390 and tranny sold, so this afternoon I have to start working on getting that out of the truck.

c ya,

Sum

Ohio Blue Tip

Looks good Sum, nothing like the sound of a new start up.
Nice engine stand.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Dave

Dam i wish i had a pic of my test stand :wink:  I started my used junk for the roadster with it hanging on the cherry picker :lol:  :lol: .
That looks better though. You have a very nice setup there After i sell this roadster im adding on to the garage and there is some stuff on the list. Yup a nice test stand like yours is one. Possibly a hoist and just more room to work and store my toys. My garage is 20 x 24 and i would like a minimum of 24x24 added on the back and 12 ft to the eves.  Thats my plan anyway. Just gotta do some drawing cause i want it to look good too. It doesnt have to make the homes of the rich and famous but i dont want it looking like a 500 add on.
Dave :wink:

purplepickup

That ought to make Julie's pickup a keeper :D

It's always nice to see what you're up to and as usual I like reading about the details on your website. 8)

Now you'll have to post a "How to make your Ford truck run really good" tech article on LoveMyFordTruck.com :wink:
George

WZ JUNK

Looks great.  I am glad you have done.  I would have done it differently of course.  That is I do not see any bailing wire, however, I did note a piece of wood and a C clamp.  Those are the items I am more apt to use on my projects.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

slocrow

So Sum, interesting garage heater contraption you've constructed there.
Kidding aside, I'd say the motor ran quite cool considering the time and revs visited. Was this done without a forced air system in front of the radiator or is it just out of the picture?.........Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

1FATGMC

Quote from: "slocrow"So Sum, interesting garage heater contraption you've constructed there.
Kidding aside, I'd say the motor ran quite cool considering the time and revs visited. Was this done without a forced air system in front of the radiator or is it just out of the picture?.........Frank

No it ran just the way you see it and the pipes out the door got real hot.  I had rubber ones at the end of those for the first 4-5 minutes and then they started smoking and I had to pull them off and dose them with water 8) .

The motor stayed right on the thermostat though between 185 and 190.  It used almost 2 gal. of gas in 1/2 hour running that speed.  At the end I was going to blip the throttle a couple times and it died and I though what now??, but then I noticed the gas can was empty.  I'm glad I didn't use a 1 gal. one.  The 2 wasn't all the way full, but almost.

I was careful to get the fan 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud.  It did heat up the shop real good though.  I started with a vest and windbreaker since I had the door at the other end of the shop open and ended up with just my shirt on, well a few other thins also 8) .

It works good and I'm glad I took the time to make it.

c ya,

Sum

Sean

Quote from: "slocrow"So Sum, interesting garage heater contraption you've constructed there.

Turn the fan over so it "pushes" the air through the radiator and it ought to heat the shop even better. Might not be very efficient though... :wink:

Dusty

Turning it over won;t change the direction of the air flow....I made that mistake on a model airplane quite a few yars ago...I built a "Pusher" type plane and thought just by turning the prop around it would push.....All it did was crash in reverse...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE