Just another '32 roadster - but it's mine

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, December 31, 2006, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Kind of a rainy cold day here so I thought I would post some progress pics of my roadster.

I started building it a few weeks ago after acquiring and updating a frame jig. I have been collecting the components for this car for about 4 years. The plan is for a full-fendered  late 60'slook - at least in my mind. I'll be using a 401 Buick Richmond 6-speed and a Winters QC. Parallel leaf rear suspension and traditional beam axle with hairpins in front. Wilson Welding finned backing plates all around with Buick drums. A Cam Grant Duvall windshield and a Topster top.

Chalie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

oiler

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Kind of a rainy cold day here so I thought I would post some progress pics of my roadster.

I started building it a few weeks ago after acquiring and updating a frame jig. I have been collecting the components for this car for about 4 years. The plan is for a full-fendered  late 60'slook - at least in my mind. I'll be using a 401 Buick Richmond 6-speed and a Winters QC. Parallel leaf rear suspension and traditional beam axle with hairpins in front. Wilson Welding finned backing plates all around with Buick drums. A Cam Grant Duvall windshield and a Topster top.

Chalie
No such thing as just another 32 roadster in my book.
I remember being at that point with mine and I couldn't stop working on it.
I'm using Chassis Engineerings nailhead mount
http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page4.html
Along with their universal frame mount and flathead motor cushions
There's a pic of the seup halfway down this page
http://www.classicroad.com/modelA/engine.htm
It shows the relationship to the vega box.
Have you decided on a induction setup yet?
I've been looking at Hilborns EFI setup but the price is a shocker!!
Actually there's a lot of good ideas from this site.
It's a guy named Rolf over at the hamb site
http://www.classicroad.com/modelA/

purplepickup

Enjoying your retirement aren't you? :lol:

It sounds like you'll have a very cool driver, good for lots of different weather conditions.  With the '40 and the TRP it might be hard to decide what to drive.  You're a very talented guy Charlie.  It will be interesting to see this go together. :D

I'll bet your back room is happy now that the pile of stashed '32 parts is being put to use.
George

Nice!! I want to build something "Nailhead" powered before I croak! As George said....Looks like you're REALLY enjoying your retirement!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

WZ JUNK

Looks really good Charlie.  I am glad you are getting to work on it.  As a side note my friend Doug Lee is tooling up to make valve covers for the nailhead engines.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

donsrods

Oooooooh, I like that drilled rear crossmember.  Wish I had seen that before I welded mine in. :(  :(

Sounds like you have a really traditional plan going, and that Richmond will make that Buick torque curve lots of fun.

Love it.

Don

Dave

Looks great Charlie :!:  I wish I was retired then id have more time to get mine done :wink:  I got back today from the reces and i just came in from the garage. Dont feel like doing much today. Ill work on it again tomorrow. I got a nice email back on my grille though. The guy is gonna check some tuesday and get me a good one and send a call tag for the other one too. Its a good looking grille but this one just aint right. hope the next one is  :lol:
Dave :arrow:

Charlie Chops 1940

No such thing as just another 32 roadster in my book.
I remember being at that point with mine and I couldn't stop working on it.
I'm using Chassis Engineerings nailhead mount
http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page4.html
Along with their universal frame mount and flathead motor cushions
There's a pic of the seup halfway down this page
http://www.classicroad.com/modelA/engine.htm
It shows the relationship to the vega box.
Have you decided on a induction setup yet?
I've been looking at Hilborns EFI setup but the price is a shocker!!
Actually there's a lot of good ideas from this site.
It's a guy named Rolf over at the hamb site
http://www.classicroad.com/modelA/

I may end up fabricating something like the CE mounts. What I wanted to do was reah up to the chevy mounts from an under the pan 1-1/2 tubing crossmember. I like that because the engine doesn't want to push the frame rails apart.

I will be running dual quads on an Offy spreadbore intake...450 Holley Economasters.

Thanks for the links.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

phat46

nice work Charlie, but we wouldn't expect anything less!   I'll be the first to ask..."What color are ya gonna paint it?"  :lol:

dragrcr50

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Kind of a rainy cold day here so I thought I would post some progress pics of my roadster.

Chalie
I like the overall look Charlie....happy new years   sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

kb426

I like the plan. You're using great components.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "phat46"nice work Charlie, but we wouldn't expect anything less!   I'll be the first to ask..."What color are ya gonna paint it?"  :lol:

The plan is for shiny black.

A Hooligan!

Deuce

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"

The plan is for shiny black.

Great choice of color ... course I am prejusticed ...  :D

Looks real nice ...
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

39deluxe

Now that's what I want to do when I retire, if ever. I need to get the Corvette and the truck done first though.

Tom

Ohio Blue Tip

As you can see, Charlie hardly has time for coffee any more cause retirement is so exhausting.  Shiny black HA!  I think the paint is DONE. 8)   It should be a fine 32 if he listens to his consulting engineer. :lol:   It may take a little longer than planed cause Charlie helps me on my shop quite a lot, so someday I can again work on cars. :shock:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken