Morris. a different direction?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 26, 2006, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I set up the Mustang II stuff under the Morris...

checking ride height , tire to fender clearance, cross member height for room for the V-8 motor that will sit there

:idea:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1oilburner

Hurry up and make the first cut already!!! midnightoilworks.com

sirstude

Tony,

I like it too, how much are you going to narrow the crossmember?  You can take about an inch out of the stock lower control arms right next to the bushing and not mess up the steering geometry.  I did this on my Studebaker and it drove great. The upper mounts should have enough slot to align, if not just make the slots longer.   If you narrow the crossmember you need to narrow the rack too, but I am sure you know that  already.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

Something I have learned .

I have narrowed the OE mustang II cross member to a  track width of 49.5 inches hub to hub as the photo I posted shows. This measurement is with 9 inch brake  rotors. As most of you folks know the 11 inch brake rotors move the track width out about 5/8 inch on each side when the larger brakes are added.... I need more room for turning the tires under the fenders.

Fatman fab has a cross member for an Anglia that is a 45.5 inch track width.  I am not sure how they are getting a track width that narrow.

Their information indicates the chassis rails would be a max of 20 inches wide at the cross member.  I am within 1 inch of that measurement for the chassis rails  at this point.

I guess I will whack this cross member a bit more.  :!:
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I narrowed the mustang II cross member another 3 inches... Now I am running out of room at the top of the fender where it bolts to the body shell. The top of the tire is real close in there.

Mayb I need to just build the unit as a gasser style Morris as the photo shows.  Mayb not as high though?
Tony

tomslik

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"narrower,shorter tire?

I am using a 145Rx15 tire on a 15x 4 inch wheel.  The tire is actually shorter than the OE 14 inch tires on my original Morris that sets 15 feet away

I may raise the ride height by 1.5 inches.... this would put the trim at the bottom of the door  at 7.25 inches off the ground.

ah the fun of setting up a fresh build
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"narrower,shorter tire?

I am using a 145Rx15 tire on a 15x 4 inch wheel.  The tire is actually shorter than the OE 14 inch tires on my original Morris that sets 15 feet away

I may raise the ride height by 1.5 inches.... this would put the trim at the bottom of the door  at 7.25 inches off the ground.

ah the fun of setting up a fresh build

to me, that IS the fun part.worse part is paying for it... :roll:
so, would it be possible to "tub" the area in question?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

forget that IFS....go gasser!!!,  :lol:  that one in the pic is wicked looking...I have a straight axle here that is 38 1/2" from kingpin to kingpin, might be just right under the Morris!!!! I can see it now; straight axle, skinny Cragars on the front, black open wheels on the back with slicks, hanging out of the wheel wells a couple inches; nasty smallblock with injectors stacks sticking out the top, headers hanging out the bottom!!!!  ya know just something to scare the neighbors!  :shock:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

to me, that IS the fun part.worse part is paying for it... :roll:
so, would it be possible to "tub" the area in question?

The area will need to be tubbed for the tire so there is room for the tire to move for turning.

Problem is I am running out of room between the top of the tire and inside the fender for suspension movement
Tony

sirstude

Again, can you shorten the A-arms?  If you are out of room at the suspension points, that seems to be the only choice left.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Flipper

There are two "new" sizes that the VW guys are using.  165/45/15 and 145/65/15

Tire Rack has the 145/65

here is a 145/65 next to a 165SR15 on a  4.5 wide VW wheel

Serrano's has the 165/45   http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=368634

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "sirstude"Again, can you shorten the A-arms?  If you are out of room at the suspension points, that seems to be the only choice left.

Doug

I read your earlier comments... at this point I am trying to keep the swing of the A arms as Ford designed it.  I also worry about the strength of the A arm after a shortening.  I guess boxing the A arm units in would add plenty of strength?

I did some quick measurements of the control A Arms length from b-joint to the pivot bushing. I got a % of difference between the  top A arm  to bottom A arm lengths.....

I then figured on 1 inch of shortening the bottom A arm. Using the % number; The upper A arm would need to be shortened 55% of the 1 inch shortening on the bottom A arm.  This may keep the swing arc angles the same or darn close?

If you have ever looked at the mustang II spindle , it is designed so the wheel is pushed out a ways from the b-joints center line.  Not sure why Ford did this , probably an engineering thing.

QuoteThere are two "new" sizes that the VW guys are using. 165/45/15 and 145/65/15..

I will check on the tires..... I bought the Nankang 145Rx15  tires 2+ yr ago.  At the time they were the 'thing' to buy for the narrow 15x4 wheels. The side wall is a bit weak but the Morris should not be too heavy

thanks guys

Tony

Jbird

Hey Tony, I've got a couple of 135/65/15 Michelens with tubes.  That green one looks way cool. I like the gasser look too but I don't think I'd want to drive one  much over sixty mph.

I thought you were going to build a Crosley station wagon, like the one in the Scrubbing Bubbles commercial.

Happpy Neew  Beeer, er, Yeaar I mean.   Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

sirstude

Tony, all I can tell you is from experience.  I didn't narrow the upper arms om the studebaker, there was enough adjustment to allow for the narrow lower arms.  I took between 1/2 and 3/4 inches out of each side, don't remember exactly how much.  The car drove great for the 15k or so miles I put on it before I sold it and did not eat tires.  The guy that has it now has driven the wheels off of it and no complaints.  I think there is quite a bit of adjustiblity built into those front ends.  If tires will do it though, sure seems the easiest method.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us