Stewart Warner Wings Guages

Started by Bib_Overalls, December 25, 2006, 09:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

I got a six gauge set for Christmas. :D

This afternoon there was a thread on the HAMB trashing Stewart Warner and Mexican made "Wings" gauges in particular.  :?  

I left the gauges in the box with the plastic wrap intact.  And I am thinking about sending them back to Speedway for credit on a set of Auto Meters. :idea:

As you know, those youngsters on the HAMB can get puffed up over nothing at times.  I really like the "Wings" look.  So before I send them back I was wondering if any of you have had some recent experience with Stewart Warner gauges and have insight to share? :?:
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

I have used a couple sets lately, just installed a set in a 53 Ford F100. No problems. My finding on repairing other peoples work, is they don't follow directions, particularly when  running grounds. Sometimes the only ground the dash can find is though the gauges, and that is hard on them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HOTROD47

I bought the American Wings series gauges a few years ago and love them. No problems what so ever.

I Love the hamb, but as we all know sometimes those guys seem to feed off of eachother. As soon as one guy doesn't like something, everyone hates it.
Copper Hill Rod & Custom

Rayvyn

I put them in the track T I redid a couple of years ago. Never had a problem with them... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

C9

I just got a new S-W speedo from Speedway for the 31.

It looks good, parts made in the US and assembled in Mexico from what I can tell.

It went in the empty hole of the 31's dash cuz I swiped the about 4 year old S-W speedo - same model - for the 32.
The 32's VDO odometer quit after 43,000 miles.
Kinda miss it, I like the reset feature.

The S-W speedo in the 32 is working well, no problems.

Same deal with the rest of the S-W's in the 32 including a single Wings fuel pressure gauge.
I think it was made in China, but it's working fine.

The rest of the 32's - and 31's - instruments are S-W cept for the VDO tach which is working well and the Auto-Meter tach on the 31's steering column -haven't tried it yet.
All mechanical except for the tach, gas gauge and ammeter in both cars.

The mechanicals do better imo than the electrics, but it's perhaps a perceived notion cuz I usually buy mechanicals.
I like the longer needle sweep of the mechanical instruments.

I'd be inclined to use the S-W's you have instead of springing for another brand.
Some of the racing brands are pretty good instruments, but you can't find the face, color or needle style in them like you can S-W.

Besides, S-W's have been the mainstay of the hot rod communtiy for many years.
And I doubt if any of the other ones are as good as S-W.

I'm guessing that some failures and probs the naysayers are putting forth are simply incorrect installations and the like.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

oldmanolds

I've used the American SW Wings on two different cars and no serious problems.One sugestion though.when you connect the wires and lights in the sockets use ny-gel.The set I'm running in my Olds had a light that kept flicking off and on.Put a little ny-gel on the bulb and it works fine.Dave
GETTING OLD SUCKS..BUT IT SURE BEATS THE ATERNATIVE.     www.stophd.org

Dave

Ive used VDO in all my cars cause i was told on the HAMB that SW was junk :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Actually ive got a set of autometer for the new roadster but i had to buy a new speedo and sender.  Ive used the old SW stuff but not anything new as in programmable or electric.
So theres my 2 cents and as you can tell i dont know.
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

slocrow

Bib; I've got the SW wings in the coupe. I have an early edition of the Mexican assembled product. They're a couple of things I don't like about mine and SW was aware of the problems and have attempted to improve this in their latest offerings, which I'd assume you received for Christmas. At least that's what the rep manning their booth at L'Ville told me 2 or 3 years ago.
The seals on mine could be better and two of the four small ones tend to fog with temp & humidity change. The primary problem I had was the tach reading way high and could be brought to a correct read by tapping the glass face. I was told by the rep that I needed to move the cylinder number select, slide switch, back & forth several times, to correct continuity. This seemed to do the trick but needs to be done every Spring as regular maintenance.
Other then that they seem accurate and are nice appearing..................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Guess we owe you some change :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "oldmanolds"I've used the American SW Wings on two different cars and no serious problems.One sugestion though.when you connect the wires and lights in the sockets use ny-gel.The set I'm running in my Olds had a light that kept flicking off and on.Put a little ny-gel on the bulb and it works fine.Dave

what is new york gel?

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

trackster

I had the same problem as SloCrow with the S-W Wings tach in my truck and was told the same thing by the "man in the booth" as far as correcting it. Haven't tried it yet, since the whole dash has to come out to get to the 'cylinder' switch on the tach. Good to know that it does help. Thanks for the info.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

C9

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "oldmanolds"I've used the American SW Wings on two different cars and no serious problems.One sugestion though.when you connect the wires and lights in the sockets use ny-gel.The set I'm running in my Olds had a light that kept flicking off and on.Put a little ny-gel on the bulb and it works fine.Dave

what is new york gel?

That's what you use under a New York hat....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Bib_Overalls

Thanks guys.  I'm going to keep them.  I really like the look and I was very specific when I told Santa what I wanted.  So I should be happy.  And I am.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"

what is new york gel?

It's NYK, and I don't know what it stands for, but it works good.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "jusjunk"

Guess we owe you some change :lol:

Vance

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...