I can do it too. xmas eve driveshaft building....

Started by Dave, December 24, 2006, 03:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Was in the top of the garage today looking. Found some parts that needed to come down and i found my first drive shaft out of the 34. Of course it was too long sooooo. I grabbed it threw it in the vise and made some measurements and cut it off with a sawzall . Then i took the short part that was now a lot easier to work with and grabbed the sawzall again and carefully starting cutting thru the weld that held the yoke to the shaft. About 15 to 20 minutes later I grabbed a hammer and knocked the end out of the short shaft. Sweet. I debured the long shaft ground the end fairly flat and layed the shaft and the yoke on the floor to keep the 2 yoke aligned and started the yoke in with the hammer. Then i picked it up and tapped it straight down on the floor till the yoke was bottomed into the shaft. Then a measurement  :cry:  Too long yet I did leave some extra for final measuring.  Knock the yoke back out go thru the motions again . I need a new ujoint for the rear cause one cap was missing and u bolts or girdles for the yoke on the rearend then im gonna bolt it in and set it true with my indicator then ill weld it..
Been a good day.
Dave

ps: anyone got the number for a chevy yoke to ford 8 inch rear u joint and possibly measurements to be sure?

enjenjo

Two possibles on the Ujoint. What is the outside measurement on the driveshaft yoke, and the diameter of the cups?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I did my first one that way but a little less "High Tech". To give a straight cut-off on the edge of the driveshaft tube I used a tubing cutter  and to remove the yoke from the cut-off end I cut through the weld with a hand operated hacksaw. There seemed to be enough of the insert end of the yoke (but not 10") that I felt that it was in would go in the tube straight. My only concern was for the joints to be "in phase" and I believe I put the placed together tube and yoke pieces horizontal in a vise and used a level crossways on the bearing cup of the yokes and adjusted them in the vise unit both ends were level. Also on the low/tech end of the story I welded it with 1/8" 6013 with a "Buzz Box" at probably 110 Amps. That was before I had learned enough to know that that's not the right way to do it. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"Two possibles on the Ujoint. What is the outside measurement on the driveshaft yoke, and the diameter of the cups?

Frank near as i can tell its chevy 1 1/16 x 3 7/32 and the rearend yoke is 1 1/8 by 3 7/32..
Dave :wink:
i used to have a web site with all the dimensions but i lost the info

enjenjo

Precision number is 430 if you have the cup sizes right. I think it may be a Precision number 378 though, which has 1 1/16 cups all around.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"Precision number is 430 if you have the cup sizes right. I think it may be a Precision number 378 though, which has 1 1/16 cups all around.

Its gotta be the 430 frank ive got the link ill post it here in a bit i get dana spicer
5-719
5-1201x
dt1201
s55
thats what the web sight gives me.
its for sure 1 1/16 and 1 1/8 on the caps.. Remember im a tool maker?
Dave

enjenjo

QuoteRemember im a tool maker?

Yes I know, that's why I questioned it. :lol:  Ford came with both cap sizes, but the 1 1/6" is more common.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteRemember im a tool maker?

Yes I know, that's why I questioned it. :lol:  Ford came with both cap sizes, but the 1 1/6" is more common.

Ya ok get off my butt. Its xmas ya know :lol:  :lol:
Love
Dave
:wink:  :arrow:

GPster

Quote from: "jusjunk"Ya ok get off my butt. Its xmas ya know :lol:  :lol:
LoveDave:wink:  :arrow:
Speak Up! you're begining to sound a little sheepish.  GPster

C9

I've checked 'in-phase' on the driveshaft yokes by putting the shaft horizontally in a vise.

Orient the stil-welded-on yoke horizontal.

Tap the loose yoke in so it's horizontal.

Then a couple of straight 3/4" solid rods about 12" long each get placed through the yokes horizontally at each end.

Sighting one 3/4" rod against the other is pretty accurate.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.