9" Ford diff parts measurement

Started by C9, December 23, 2006, 10:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Does anyone have a dis-assembled 9 incher?

I need the measurements for an oil slinger so I can make one.

That's the washer-like part that goes between forward pinion bearing and companion flange. (Right behind the oil seal.)

I need a deflector as well, but I could probably machine one of these out of aluminum and a couple spots of JB Weld.
(The deflector is the stamped sheet metal piece that friction fits to the nose of the drive pinion retainer (standard style, not Daytona) over the top of the seal and behind the companion flange.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "C9"Does anyone have a dis-assembled 9 incher?

That's the washer-like part that goes between forward pinion bearing and companion flange. (Right behind the oil seal.)

I need a deflector as well, but I could probably machine one of these out of aluminum and a couple spots of JB Weld.
(The deflector is the stamped sheet metal piece that friction fits to the nose of the drive pinion retainer (standard style, not Daytona) over the top of the seal and behind the companion flange.

C9....... does this metal piece get compressed by the pinion gear nut?

that is what I am picturing .  

I have a box of 9 inch 'stuff' & parts..... I'll go look for it.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

C9

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "C9"Does anyone have a dis-assembled 9 incher?

C9....... does this metal piece get compressed by the pinion gear nut?

that is what I am picturing .  

I have a box of 9 inch 'stuff' & parts..... I'll go look for it.

8)

Far as I can tell from the exploded view of a nine inch diff that I have, the oil slinger is simply a thick washer.

The deflector looks like a big soft plug with a hole in it so the companion flange can go through.

Probably stamped out of 18 gage sheet metal & cad iridited silver.
C9

kb426

The "deflector" is pressed on the companion flange. It's a protector on the seal area. I don't have one to measure without going out and laying in the street and freezing.
TEAM SMART

tomslik

how soon you need the deflector?
if i can find the * socket for the pinion nut, i'll have one for ya (i think it has one, it's a flange-type and i'm changing it to a yoke)
i'll be out in the shop tomorrow and i'll get ya a slinger measurement too.
i don't have a spare or i'd send that, too.
shoot me a pm or e-mail with yer addy...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Leon

I've rebuilt several 9" rears and have only found the slinger on a couple of them.  I have one in a box that I'm sure is from the last 9" that I did and it is .024 thick, 1.325 ID, 2.400 OD

tomslik

hey C9, i got a dust shield for ya but MY 9" has no slinger.
guess i wouldn't worry about one...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

C9

Tomslik,
Does the dust shield press onto the yoke or does it fit onto the pinion retainer?
(The cast piece on the front of the main diff case - held on by five bolts.)

From the exploded view I have - which ain't too clear - it does look like the deflector snaps onto the nose of the pinion retainer.
And thinking back, I've seen a few of the rectangular shaped companion flanges with a pressed on deflector.

I'm thinking the deflector may be to prevent rocks and gravel from hitting the seal.
Not sure there, but it looks like I can leave both deflector and slinger off.
The diff nose is up under the body pretty well and the seal should be well protected.
I don't drive on too many gravel roads anyway.

Thanks for the offer guys.

I'll hang onto Leon's measurements and turn a slinger out of cold rolled if it turns out to be necessary - far as spacing etc. goes.

Thanks for the specifications Leon.
C9

Leon

Without the slinger the yoke just slides on the pinion .024 further.  There is plenty of spline left so I wouldn't worry about it if you didn't use it.