chopping my tudor

Started by oiler, December 19, 2006, 10:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oiler

I'm about ready to cut 3 inches out of my 29 and I thought I'd check in with the experts before I start.
I've got the inside braced well and it's sitting on a level frame.
I'm having a * of a time getting a straight line around the quarters and up to the back of the door.
Any tips or tricks? I've tried it with 2 inch mask tape and with a laser level but when I eyeball it, it just doesn't look straight.
I realize it likely doesn't need to be perfect but I want it as close as I can get it, specially with this being my first time.
Thanks
Jeff

Charlie Chops 1940

Jeff,

The line marking the cut out portion doesn't need to be laser straight or level. Eyeball is close enough. I usually cut a piece of 16ga 2 or 3" long X the cut amount and use it  and a pen in the corners and stuff. I tape the lower cut area and draw the line on the tape and then put more tape3" above and draw another line. I just fine it easier to follow the ink line than the edge of the tape.

3" is a nice cut on an A sedan...more headroom and visibility. 5" is tolerable for guys under 6' and has a more sinister look.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Below the top hinge is how i did my 30.. We did it on a monday night and we cut and welded and drank beer all night. he ive got some pics on my web site. I had a couple things to do during the week but i had it back in primer on sunday!

http://home.comcast.net/~n8dc-8/hotrod3.html
Go there and there is a pic of mine
Dave
ps: i did 3 inches too . Thats the easy chop

oiler

Thanks for the info guys i appreciate it.
I've got my Dad up for the Xmas weekend so I think I'll get him to give me a hand
I'll post some pics once I'm finished
Thanks again
Jeff

Dave

Quote from: "oiler"Thanks for the info guys i appreciate it.
I've got my Dad up for the Xmas weekend so I think I'll get him to give me a hand
I'll post some pics once I'm finished
Thanks again
Jeff

Do that.. You may have to make a vertical cut or 2 on the rear corners even with a 3 inch chop to get everything lined up and lookin pretty. I did it on my 30. One thing I didnt do but ive seen suggested is save the cut outs specially from the rear corners cause they are the ones you really need and lay em inside the body and weld em in for extra support. I didnt and I never had a problem but its not a bad idea. I did add a little (very little) filler round the back corners but everything else i welded and ground straight without filler. The windshield frame I marked the same as the body and cut it in the same place. Im gettin fired up just typin this  :!: I wish I was there to help. Oh ya i used a hack saw and an air grinder with a cut off wheel to do mine but a sawzall will work too. We cut most of it with the hack saw.  First one and only one i ever did and man was it fun. Yup id do another in a heart beat !!!
Dave

elwood

hey guys,
im fixing to chop the top on my 29 over the holidays,
i was thinking of 4 inches, but would sure like to do 5.
maybe ill do 4 first and look, then do 1 more, i sure would like to get my car extra low and mean looking, smile
i think i am going to tac weld the doors in correct place and cut the car.
can someone give me any first timer tips ?
i actually have two good books, and i still have a few questions.
if anyone's still following this post and would answer a few questions for me, id appreciate it.
elwood

purplepickup

Quote from: "elwood"hey guys,
im fixing to chop the top on my 29 over the holidays,........... and i still have a few questions.  if anyone's still following this post and would answer a few questions for me, id appreciate it.
elwood
We're following....go ahead and ask.    And Welcome to the RRT . :D
George

Dave

Quote from: "elwood"hey guys,
im fixing to chop the top on my 29 over the holidays,
i was thinking of 4 inches, but would sure like to do 5.
maybe ill do 4 first and look, then do 1 more, i sure would like to get my car extra low and mean looking, smile
i think i am going to tac weld the doors in correct place and cut the car.
can someone give me any first timer tips ?
i actually have two good books, and i still have a few questions.
if anyone's still following this post and would answer a few questions for me, id appreciate it.
elwood

Read what i posted above. you dont have to tack the doors in place but i suppose you can. You will need vertical cuts on a 4 or more chop at the rear of the body also its gets to be kinda a PITA putting the windshield area back together because it tapers some. The b pillar does taper some also. Ive seen both the a and b pillars split vertically to get them back.

I like a 3 straight and a 4 straight chop. I finished a 30 for a buddy that has a 3 in the front and a 1 1/2 in the rear and although it looks good its not me! Anything over 4 kinda ruins the Model A lines for me too. Its your car though so go for it. You make the decision.
Dave :!:  :idea:  :arrow:

elwood

hey guys,
well, where to start, smile.
well, first i guess is my door issue,
both doors hang low and hit at top first.
i really don't see how the hinges them selves could be bent and the body doesn't look bent in.
ive learned how to adjust the doors via manipulate the body on the body mounts, but i have the body setting on blocks.
so i thought id tac the doors in place while i cut the car,
help to hold it ridged too hu ?
and how many braces do i need ?
second, the back body panel, im kinda anal and im want my car 100 % rust free, so im taking the body 100 % apart. i plan on removing the body from the sub frame to repair the sub frame and i think it'll be easier to repair all the body panels separately.
plus, my plan is to powder coat the sub frame black and put some teak wood in the floor and run it like that, i can seal the car from the bottom.
so the rear seam i plan on welding.
so i guess i need to weld my top back on around to the seam after the chop, then remove and dismantle the body panels for repair, and finish the rear panel horizontal welds and when i reassemble it, ill weld the vertical seams.
shuu.
this is my plan, surely someone can make it easier for me than ive convinced myself its goanna be, smile.
you know where the rear windows are, the brace that goes from the window roller support some how to the bottom body sub frame tie in, its rusted out on both sides, im goanna fab new ones when i do this, im goanna start on my chop this coming week.
was goanna do 4 inch, the sinister 5 look sounded appealing to me, smile.
but im goanna cut it 4 and sit the top on it and see what i see.
all advice is appreciated.
thanks.
elwood

Dave

The best way to adjust the hinges on a model a is with a BFH.. No kidding. There was a whole series of articles in Street Rodder on taking an a apart reassembling it and chopping it to i think. I guess id use as much bracing as you think is needed.
Dave :arrow:

donsrods

We always do our chops with the doors off , for several reasons.  First of all, it is more simple to match the door up to the opening as a seperate matter after the top is all done.  Secondly, you will be climbing into and out of the car alot during the chop, to gain access to the backside to push and prod.  If the doors are on there you can't get inside.

I still haven't figured out how to post more than one photo in a post, so please excuse me if I have to do the following pictures in several posts.

Here is my Son's fordor, chopped 6 inches.  It is now a roadster pickup (he changed his mind  :shock: ) but this will give you some idea. This chop is a little severe, but was the look he was after.

donsrods

When we did my '39 Dodge truck, we first taped off the amount of chop we wanted.

donsrods

Then we cut it off (after bracing the body well)

donsrods

And finally, got it welded back on.  We probably had it on and off 20 times, taking minor cuts and grinding just a little to get our gap real tight.

donsrods

But I think the new profile is a little better than stock.  Hope this might help you a little.

Don