Light on MIG Welder

Started by JGross, December 16, 2006, 11:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGross

As I am getting older and among other things, my sight is not what it used to be.  I am now having a hard time seeing my work when using the MIG welder unless I have some direct light on the work area.  In Street Rodder, there used to be an add for a high intensity light that mounted on the gun tube of the welder that would illuminate your work area.  Anyone out there know of this product or one like it?

Thanks ahead of time

Crosley.In.AZ

I remember the lights you mention.......

I often set up a cheapy  clamp type light where I am welding if needed.

:T)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Leon

A welder I used when I was employed in the metal business had a light on it that went out when you started welding.  That way it wasn't too much light yet you could see the weld after the arc stopped. I always wanted to add that feature to my TIG.

58 Yeoman

Using the self-darkening hood helped me.  Once I get started, I'm usually okay.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

I remember the light, can't give you a clue where to get one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"I ........., can't give you a clue where to get one.

I think we are in trouble now.  They must have pull Frank's wisdom tooth the the other day :cry:

Hope you are doing ok big guy.  I went thru that last summer, no fun :( .

Thanks for the power steering and drive-line info the other day.

c ya,

Sum

enjenjo

They ended up pulling two. :shock: I'm still in recovery mode.

I'm thinking a seperate light with a magnetic base would be the hot ticket.

chopped

Anyone but me take a year to realize the problem was my glasses. The kind that darken in the sunlite > :lol:

donsrods

I have exactly the same problem, and I know it is keeping me from doing better quaility welds.  It is hard to do a nice pass when you can't see where the heck you are.  My Son tells me to not look directly at the arc, but I know it is more than that.

I have come up with the same conclusion you have, it is just too darned dark on our welding table.  Our overhead lights are 15 feet above our heads, so I have been considering adding a work light right at this station.   I would also be interested in the light you are describing.  Maybe a local weld shop can shed some light on the subject. (pun intended)  :lol:  :lol:

Getting old isn't for the weak, is it.  :(  :(

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

A photo of the cheap light I use.  100 watt bulb in it.

One thing of many I learned when I had my eyes laser corrected 1 year ago.... my eyes were needing more light to see the same stuff.

At the time I wore tri-focal glasses for my far sighted / astigmatism condition. So if something was hard to see I would tilt my head for more magnifying from the glasses.. I did not know the type of light I was in also affected my vision.

Quality of light affects my eyes too. In real sun light I can read a news paper  small print without glasses.  In doors under any type of artificial light , I need  2.0 glasses to read the same news paper.

You younger guys can poke fun if you wish..... your day is coming with the eye sight  thing.

:!:
Tony

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"They ended up pulling two. :shock: I'm still in recovery mode.

Hey were they really wisdom teeth ? Im asking cause my doctor told me i was too old to have troble with my wisdom teeth and dam ur really old!
Dave :!:  :arrow:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "enjenjo"They ended up pulling two. :shock: I'm still in recovery mode.

Hey were they really wisdom teeth ? Im asking cause my doctor told me i was too old to have troble with my wisdom teeth and dam ur really old!

all 4 of mine were pulled at age 44... it was not a fun thing as I recall.  that and the deep cleaning about 2 months later were no fun... i still got my real teeth though.

:mrgreen:
Tony

enjenjo

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Nope, wisdom teeth were gone 2 years ago. These were the ones in front of it. The older I get, the dumber I get :shock:

enjenjo

Rayvyn

The first pic is a magnetic base worklite that Harbor Freight sells online for about $15.00.

The second one is a Xenon LED miners type light that is switchable to Halogen high intensity. Runs on AA batteries, and can be worn over a hard hat, welding helmet, face shield, etc.  I got mine from Northern a couple of years ago for about $45.00.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...