Another Ford question

Started by bombcan, December 16, 2006, 06:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombcan

I've  working on my 64 Econoline today, even took it out for a test drive.  But having a little problem with the 170 6 cylinder.  I'm no master mechanic so I'm begging for help :?

The van sat up for quite a few years, but is running fine, it idles good, revs up fine (as well as can be expected), and has acceptable power.  After driving it at highway speed for a couple of miles, it dies, like it's starving for fuel.  I replaced the fuel filter thinking that may be the problem, but it didn't repair the problem.  If I let the van sit for a couple of minutes it'll start back up and give me another quarter mile or so.

I'm thinking of taking off all the rubber fuel lines, and replacing them thinking one may be closing up, and while I've got all the hoses off I'll put the air compressor to the metal lines to see if they are clogged up.

Any other suggestions out there?   ....a V8? :lol:

thanks in advance!

Rob

58 Yeoman

Filter sock on the fuel pickup tube in the tank?  We used to blow air into the fuel line to blow the sock off and just left it in the tank.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

1FATGMC

You might also check the carb and make sure the float is working freely and adjusted right.  

Make sure there isn't a filter buried in the inlet of the carb that is plugged.  I don't know if the carb you have has one.  

Make sure the float bowl isn't filled with crap or water.

Just for the heck of it I would feel the coil and make sure it isn't real hot and going bad even though it sounds like a fuel problem.

I would not get to far from home.  A quarter mile at a time could take some time to return :wink: .

c ya,

Sum

JGross

I had that problem on a 41 Chev pick up one time and after changing everything I could think of including rebuilding the carb, it turned out to be a fuel line.  I was rubber on the inside, and it would collapse off under fuel pressure, the car would stop, then after a few minutes it would start again after the pressure released and allow the gas to flow to the carb.  So check all your rubber fuel lines.

bombcan

I took the line from the fuel pump off no fuel was coming in.  So I put the air to it, cleared the line, and fuel started running out  freely, so I put the new rubber lines on.   Made a few runs on the country roads around the house without a problem.  Around 2 oclock I headed out to Aiken SC, about 50 miles, (with Debbie following in her PT) no problems at all!    So now  it's sitting at the body shop for some smoothing out this week.

Thanks for the help! 8)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "bombcan"I took the line from the fuel pump off no fuel was coming in.  So I put the air to it, cleared the line, and fuel started running out  freely, so I put the new rubber lines on.   Made a few runs on the country roads around the house without a problem.  Around 2 oclock I headed out to Aiken SC, about 50 miles, (with Debbie following in her PT) no problems at all!    So now  it's sitting at the body shop for some smoothing out this week.

Thanks for the help! 8)

Glad the air pressure to the lines got it running better.

that is something NOT to do with late model EFI  vehicles .

My brother was going to put air to his b-in-law's Dodge 2001 minivan fuel lines since it was acting like bad fuel flow with the engine dieing out.

After I explained what it would cost to repair the damage to stuff he was about to cause ... they towed the van to  a shop.  Fuel pump was bad in the van.

:-}
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

bombcan

I guess in this situation.... ignorance was a blessing!  LOL