Shifter conversion...

Started by Broman, April 19, 2004, 11:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broman

I am running the origional 3 speed manual (on the column) behind the I8 in my Buick. They used to sell floor shift conversions for these right? Can I still get one?

My dad was telling me they might be found in a JCWhitney, but after looking I don't think so....

Any help will be appreciated. The timing would be great as I have no carpet in the old bastard right now and it would be a weekend project that could be handled quickly.

Maybe I better specify that this is an all origional '50 Buick, there were shifters for Chevys and Fords, and a few other odds and ends, but not for this vintage of Buick.

enjenjo

There used to be floor shifters for Buicks, but I haven't seen one in many years.

The Buick of that era was unique because both levers have to move to select any gear.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Just a suggestion. Start looking around under the names of Ansen, Foxcraft or maybe Honest Charley's. Some other ideas might be to look for a Shifter for a '42 - '48 Chevy car. Their column shift trans required a strange shifter to get a floor/shift and maybe the shifter mechanism was a GM design and they didn't list it under Buicks as there was not much call to modify them. Might also check around to see if the trannys are a cloumn shift version of the old LaSalle top loader trans. Maybe it can be changed with parts from an older transmission. Keep in mind that most of my information come from old Warsawski Catalogs I read when I was in grammer school. GPster

Broman

Well, thanks guys.

I know this is kinda out there as far as tech stuff goes because the Buicks are not as wildly popular as everything else - and most  cars get the old SBC routine.

I am trying like hell to keep this I8 thing going and I am just looking for alternatives. I know Bendtsen's makes a 700r adapter that would make this thing cruise like nobodys buisness but then I would have a whole new set of things to do - a new column and ignition, etc. It'd just be cooler to floor shift.....

I got some good suggestions on the HAMB from C9. He is a GOD. I suck. I hope I can just fab something up the way they used to do it. It is something that I've never done so it might take some guidence....

Jdee

You are not alone, I'm looking for the same thing :lol:
Would like to find an edmunds intake , but the only ones I find
are for the Big 320s

I do have to make these headers, with a nice Intake
the ST8 would look sweet.
Jdee

Broman

Quote from: "Jdee"
I do have to make these headers, with a nice Intake
the ST8 would look sweet.
Jdee

HHEEEEYYYYYYY !!!!!!

You've been holding out JDEE!!! I didn't see those headers on the HAMB. Did you say you made them? And they are for the Little I8? I need to get some 'o dem !!!

Fat * Buick was supposed to ship me some flanges so I could try to hack a set together myself - but they'd never look as good as those babies. :)

Yea, the intakes are a problem too. I seem to find them when I am broke and when I HAVE the money they are nowhere to be found.... :x

I am knee deep in susp. problems right now though. These lever-action front shocks......I guess I am going to try to re-build them and use them in conjunction with air bags. For now I need bushings, lots and lots of bushings.

So how are you handling the shifting chores right now? I suppose you have the automatic....

Jdee

I did not make those, they are from Jyrki's Buick Site
He sent the photos to me to check out.
http://gamma.nic.fi/~marlin/Rmaster.htm

I'm still working on the interior sheet metal in my Buick
It had sliding quarter windows, so I got a little more work than I thought to do after the chop  :lol:  
Jdee

Jdee

I Have an old Page I made with some buick stuff.
I just never kept it up .. The ST8 stuff is not up enough
for me to spend much time with the posts...
anyway. Here is the link.
http://woodgraining.com/HAMB/
Ryan Knows about it  :lol:
Jdee

Broman

Quote from: "Jdee"I Have an old Page I made with some buick stuff.
I just never kept it up .. The ST8 stuff is not up enough
for me to spend much time with the posts...
anyway. Here is the link.
http://woodgraining.com/HAMB/
Ryan Knows about it  :lol:
Jdee

thanks dude.....

Hey looky I'm famous - I made it on your web page!!!

Still have a slow Buick though ......