Greetings from Iraq

Started by 48builder, December 09, 2006, 05:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Hey guys,

I am here now. Been here for a week. I'm at an Army base supporting some F-16 fighters. It's not a bad place. Food is decent, weather is OK in the day and cold at night. It gets a little exciting once in a while, bit overall quiet. The only thing missing is my car to work on. I did send the rear bumpers to the chrome shop before I left and they should be done when I get home in late January. I'm also doing a lot of work in my head so that when I get home I can start right back in. I'll have 8 months to get it ready for the Burlington, VT NSRA show. Thats's my goal.

BFN

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "48builder"Hey guys,

I am here now. Been here for a week. I'm at an Army base supporting some F-16 fighters. It's not a bad place. Food is decent, weather is OK in the day and cold at night. It gets a little exciting once in a while, bit overall quiet. The only thing missing is my car to work on. I did send the rear bumpers to the chrome shop before I left and they should be done when I get home in late January. I'm also doing a lot of work in my head so that when I get home I can start right back in. I'll have 8 months to get it ready for the Burlington, VT NSRA show. Thats's my goal.

BFN

Walt

Take care.  Thanks.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

Keep your head low!  You'll have that car built a thousand times in your head, that should make it easier when you get back home!

enjenjo

Keep watch, thanks for your help.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Be carefull.....Stay safe! Be sure to check in when you can.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

donsrods

Yep, stay safe over there, and keep in touch often.

Did you ever figure out why your Daughters car wouldn't start??

Don

Dave

Good Luck Over there.
Stay safe
Dave

kb426

"Billy, don't be a hero...."
TEAM SMART

tom36

Quote from: "kb426""Billy, don't be a hero...."

Ditto that! Stay safe and come with all the parts and pieces you left with.  You one of those "Green Mountain Boys"?  Tom...

msuguydon

BFN

Walt

Walt:

I have read or have been told somewhere that there is a lot of GI's that like car magazines that are serving overseas.  Is this true?  If so, how would I send car mags to GI's?

Just trying to help

Don G
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

purplepickup

It's good to hear from you :D   Hope things stay quiet where you're at.

That was smart to send your stuff to chrome plating before you left.  If your plater is anything like the ones around here, it takes a few months to get something done.....usually while you're anxiously waiting for it.
George

Bruce Dorsi

Hi, Walt!

Thanks for keeping us in mind.  ...We'll be thinking of you!

I hope the next 2 months will pass as quickly for you, as they will for me!

You really should pick a different place to vacation!    :roll:

Stay safe!

~~~Bruce
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

48builder

Quote from: "donsrods"Yep, stay safe over there, and keep in touch often.

Did you ever figure out why your Daughters car wouldn't start??

Don

Hi Don,

Well, I did get it started. The night before I left I put 5 gallons of gas in it and had to crank it for a LONG time, but it finally started. I just hope it starts again when I get home!

walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

56ngirl

I am here now. Been here for a week. I'm at an Army base supporting some F-16 fighters.
BFN

Walt

by supporting do you mean 'wrenching'?!?!?  I spent my summer 200 miles North East of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory on the border of the Northwest Territories looking after a Longranger and a 206...but I've sat in an F-16 before...hard seat!!!

You have all of my respect for doin' what you do, and going to Iraq to do it.  Keep up the good work; and come home in one piece!!!  (To think that the greatest threat I faced was a driller that hadn't seen a female in months-but that's where my 1/2" breaker bar comes in!!)

Keep cool and the best of wishes to you!!!

Okiedokie

Thanks for doing what you are doing. Bet it is interesting. Went to Burlington mini nats a few years ago. Been to lots of events in lots of places, never found one as friendly as Burlington people. Be safe. Joe